Top Potential UFA NCAA Prospects

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Chayse Primeau is intriguing and another Flyers offspring is also at least getting himself back on the radar.

Carson Briere, after being dismissed at Arizona State, is back on the ice for Mercyhurst and is his team's leading scorer. Admittedly, Atlantic Hockey hasn't traditionally been a hotbed of NHL prospects. But if Briere can prove he is focused and determined to play hockey his surname is likely to get him a shot somewhere.

I could see the Habs as well as other teams being interested in Primeau's older brother, he's off to a great start to the season at UNO

Johnny Danger

Jul 7, 2002
Suisse
Visit site
wonder if a team will take a flyer on Odeen Tufto who is on fire to start the season, leading the NCAA in points with just under a 2 pp but he's listed at 5'7.

i'm wondering as well ... he's been great all his college career. but there has almost been no talking about him. because of his size, i guess ... but is size a factor any more?

Reactions: montreal

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Gotta mention the holdovers from last year. Jordan Kawaguchi, Matt Kiersted, Alex Limoges, etc.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Yeah, Tufto seems to be interesting, 110 assists in 123 NCAA games so far in his career (35 goals).
Has lead his team Quinnipiac, in scoring, 4th season in a row.

And for example, top 3 Qunnipiac forwards last 4 seasons

20-21
1. Tufto 24 points
2. De Jong 12 points (-12)
3. Similanic 11 points (-13)

19-20
1. Tufto 38 points
2. Bongiovanni 24 points (-14)
3. Whelan 24 points (-14)

18-19
1. Tufto 42 points
2. Martin 30 points (-12)
3, Whelan 25 points (-17)

17-18
1. Tufto 41 points
2. MacMaster 33 points (-8)
3. Whelan 18 points (-23)

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Along the lines of Tufto, UMass' Bobby Trivigno is small but he is the leading scorer for the Minutemen.

Any interest in him being signed or is he more likely to play minor pro and/or in Europe?

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Drafted guys who reached free agency: Logan Hutsko, David Farrance, Jack Lafontaine

One undrafted name: Wilmer Skoog

Last edited:
Reactions: uncleben

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Farrance has some brilliant numbers. I wonder who’s in the running to sign him?

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
The guy who recruited him to BU and coached him there for one season coaches the Rangers. Also a NY a kid.
Quinn recruited him...and he is a Rochester kid. But I don't think this is Adam Fox 2.0.

If I am a betting person, I'd say Penguins will be in running.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Quinn recruited him...and he is a Rochester kid. But I don't think this is Adam Fox 2.0.

If I am a betting person, I'd say Penguins will be in running.

The familiarity helps with recruiting. Drury also has super connections at BU. Thats part of why Quinn was hired. I think this would be more similar to Vesey or Hayes than Fox. Vesey and Hayes were from Boston, but wanted to play in NY.

And his position is a team need for the Rangers. We can absolutely use an NHL ready LHD. We are currently icing LHD's like Jack Johnson, Brendan Smith, Libor Hajek, Anthony Bitetto. All guys that suck or are no better than 6D's. There would be an opportunity for Farrance to play right away.

I wouldn't call it a certainty. I agree about that. I think the Rangers would probably be the favorite though as of now.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
The familiarity helps with recruiting. Drury also has super connections at BU. Thats part of why Quinn was hired. I think this would be more similar to Vesey or Hayes than Fox. Vesey and Hayes were from Boston, but wanted to play in NY.

And his position is a team need for the Rangers. We can absolutely use an NHL ready LHD. We are currently icing LHD's like Jack Johnson, Brendan Smith, Libor Hajek, Anthony Bitetto. All guys that suck or are no better than 6D's. There would be an opportunity for Farrance to play right away.

I wouldn't call it a certainty. I agree about that. I think the Rangers would probably be the favorite though as of now.

I think NYR's strongest case is opportunity to play (considering the current LHD group). I don't think Nashville can make similar promises.

But I'm going with Penguins - just got a hunch here.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
i'm just wondering why Lethemon hasn't been signed yet. College signings (undrafted) seem to have come to an end ... at least lots of other guys have been signed

I stumbled on it looking up another prospect, but it looks like Lethemon is playing for Greenville of the ECHL. Probably bad timing to be a graduating free agent with three AHL (and eleven ECHL) teams on hiatus this season, teams probably ran out of spots to actively sign another goalie.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I stumbled on it looking up another prospect, but it looks like Lethemon is playing for Greenville of the ECHL. Probably bad timing to be a graduating free agent with three AHL (and eleven ECHL) teams on hiatus this season, teams probably ran out of spots to actively sign another goalie.
Very true, though requiring every NHL team to have 3 goalies on tap has also created some openings.

Marlies are my only firsthand example, but due to injuries and the Leafs needing three goalies available (2+taxi), the Marlies played their season opener last night with a PTO as starter, an ATO as backup, and an ATO as the healthy scratch.

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
Yeah, Tufto seems to be interesting, 110 assists in 123 NCAA games so far in his career (35 goals).
Has lead his team Quinnipiac, in scoring, 4th season in a row.

And for example, top 3 Qunnipiac forwards last 4 seasons

20-21
1. Tufto 24 points
2. De Jong 12 points (-12)
3. Similanic 11 points (-13)

19-20
1. Tufto 38 points
2. Bongiovanni 24 points (-14)
3. Whelan 24 points (-14)

18-19
1. Tufto 42 points
2. Martin 30 points (-12)
3, Whelan 25 points (-17)

17-18
1. Tufto 41 points
2. MacMaster 33 points (-8)
3. Whelan 18 points (-23)
Been watching a lot of Quinnipac hockey of late. Tufto can make any pass their is in the book and has the vision to full utilise his skillset. Im not afraid of little guys but if your that small you have to be a burner imo and that's where Im very concerned about.

I am however a big fan of his teammate De Jong whos a fiesty pest of player with good hands. Think he has big upside.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Been watching a lot of Quinnipac hockey of late. Tufto can make any pass their is in the book and has the vision to full utilise his skillset. Im not afraid of little guys but if your that small you have to be a burner imo and that's where Im very concerned about.

I am however a big fan of his teammate De Jong whos a fiesty pest of player with good hands. Think he has big upside.

How would you compare them to former QU forward Sam Anas?

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
How would you compare them to former QU forward Sam Anas?
all 3 are different players. OT - is a pure playmaker, EDJ does his best work down low/crashing the net and Sam is a bit more balanced of the three. Bit of a playmaker that doesnt hesitate to shot. But Im sure someone who watched him more regular at the AHL level has a better idea about him.I didnt catch too many games of him in college.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Drafted guys who reached free agency: Logan Hutsko, David Farrance, Jack Lafontaine

Thought I had seen that Hutsko signed a couple weeks ago but apparently teams had to wait until March 1st to officially register new contracts with guys on their reserve list.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Top free agents from college hockey and Europe: Pronman ranks the best players available to NHL teams

Pronman article on the top undrafted NCAA/European free agents. Although he goes out of his way to caution that he doesn't really project anybody as a surefire NHLer since a good chunk of his readers have unrealistic expectations for these sort of guys.

Of the guys on his list, I've probably watched Strauss Mann (#3) the most due to following other guys on Michigan. Tough to argue with his numbers, but seemingly many teams shy away from goalies who aren't 6'2+. Personally wouldn't be surprised if Mann returned for his senior year if Michigan doesn't have a deep run this season.

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
who's listed? i'm not a subscriber ...

He has two lists. One for free agents, mix of both NCAA players and European players, and second one for NCAA players who could elect to become free agents. Since It is behind paywall, I will only share top five, in alpha order, but not the rankings.

Free Agents (NCAA players listed here, European players omitted)
Akito Hirose, D, Minnesota State
Jordan Kawaguchi, LW, North Dakota
Matt Kiersted, D, North Dakota
Strauss Mann, G, Michigan
Marc McLaughlin, C, Boston College

NCAA possible Free Agents (either 4-year players or those drafted at age-20 or later)
Nick Abruzzese, C, Harvard (TOR) (soph)
Collin Adams, LW, North Dakota (NYI)
Ronnie Attard, D, Western Michigan (PHI) (soph)
David Farrance, D, Boston University (NSH)
Tyce Thompson, C, Providence (NJD) (jun)

Top free agents from college hockey and Europe: Pronman ranks the best players available to NHL teams

Reactions: Johnny Danger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad