Top Potential UFA NCAA Prospects

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The red wings must have liked what the Pioneers did this season as they just signed two players from the roster and just like I said Luco-Savage got an AHL deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keke

canucklax

Feb 9, 2018
Edit: I see Lukosevicius signed with Grand Rapids, good for him

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
With PSU scoring goals in bunches, I could see there being interest in Nathan Sucese who is on fire to start the year along with Brandon Biro. I'll get to see them when they face Wisconsin in a couple weeks.

Providence's Greg Printz is off to a nice start, tied for 2nd in the NCAA in goals with Maine's Eduards Tralmaks.

UNH has Jackson Pierson and Charles Kelleher off to good starts.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
With PSU scoring goals in bunches, I could see there being interest in Nathan Sucese who is on fire to start the year along with Brandon Biro. I'll get to see them when they face Wisconsin in a couple weeks.

Providence's Greg Printz is off to a nice start, tied for 2nd in the NCAA in goals with Maine's Eduards Tralmaks.

UNH has Jackson Pierson and Charles Kelleher off to good starts.

I've liked Sucese's game since he was in high school, didn't think he would be this good of a college player and maybe I'm wrong again but I think he's close to his ceiling, he came in to college as a good player and he's steadily improved but he's fairly old at this point and there isn't much that pops about him for the pro game IMO. just don't think there is much high-end to him. Biro is the guy I think will have a shot, he just gets better and better, workable size and a game that can keep growing, plus he is still fairly young. FWIW I wrote up the potential free agents on PSU last season (here)

Printz has been pretty intriguing but I don't watch him as much, something there though since his youth hockey days and he's steadily improving. I don't know what to make of Pierson, he has also always been a good player but he stepped right in to college well and he's having a great start. He could come on strong for sure. Kelleher kind of reminds me of a worse version of sucese.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
watching Penn State these past 2 days I can certainly see Nathan Sucese getting NHL interest, the goalie Peyton Jones as well.

For Wisconsin I've wondered if a team will take a flyer on Sean Dhooghe or not. For the Habs I wouldn't, Ahcan would be more interesting to me as he is one hard worker. There's also Michael Vorlikcy, I assume he goes undrafted again but he might be someone to keep an eye on after a couple seasons at Wisconsin.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I vaguely recall there being some NHL interest in Jones a couple years back, but it probably made sense for him to finish out in college. He'll be 24 in February, so he'd be required to sign a 1 year ELC if he did get an NHL deal; So it wouldn't be a big commitment from an NHL club willing to give him a chance.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
UMass's Mitchell Chaffee is another that could generate NHL interest. I liked the game his teammate had tonight vs Northeastern, Bobby Trivigno but he is undersized.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Stumbled on a late November podcast where Adam Wodon and Guy Flaming had a segment regarding potential college UFAs. Off the top of my head, Wodon mentioned that he didn't think there were any slam dunk future NHLers this year but name dropped:

- LD Alec Rauhauser - Prototypical size, but older 24 going onto 25. Wodon was surprised he didn't leave last season (my note: At 25, Rauhauser wouldn't necessarily have to sign an ELC a la Matt Gilroy, but I have no idea if he'd warrant a one way deal).

- RW Vincent De May - Decent size, started scoring this year for Northern Michigan.

- C Patrick Khodorenko - 4th year senior but just turned 21 so he's on the younger end relatively speaking for some college UFAs. Wodon mentioned that his contacts compared Khodorenko to a Casey Cizikas type guy.

- LW/C Marc Michaelis - Older (24) German born prospect playing for Minnesota State.

- C Devin Brosseau - Older (24) prospect playing for Clarkson.

Flaming brought up Johnny Walker and Brinson Pasichnuk from Arizona State. Wodon didn't have any goaltenders listed in his EliteProspect's article, but they discussed Francis Marotte, Stefanos Lekkas, Cale Morris, and Peyton Jones.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Alec Rauhauser could get a 1 way deal, but without any guarantees that he would be on an NHL roster. Teams can bury a contract that is just over $1 million in the AHL without it counting against the salary cap.

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Nick Wolff has 4 development camps under his belt - two with Calgary, two with Boston - so wouldn't be surprised if he gets a contract with either of those. He's a defensive D, senior and captain of Minn-Duluth

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Nick Wolff has 4 development camps under his belt - two with Calgary, two with Boston - so wouldn't be surprised if he gets a contract with either of those. He's a defensive D, senior and captain of Minn-Duluth

I never thought he would make it as far as he did, win 2 titles, defines tough to play against, could see a team like Boston really liking what he brings to the table and finding a spot for him in the lower four. In high school guys would skate away from his side of the ice

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Makes sense for Kawaguchi, as he termed it he has unfinished business and UND can (hopefully) have a shot at a national title.

From a CBA point of view, makes sense to wait given the uncertainty. If Kawaguchi had signed right, he would have had to get a two year ELC which starts in 2020-21. If he signs next Spring, he'd only have to sign a 1 year ELC as a 24 year old which and he could potentially burn that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->