Top Potential UFA NCAA Prospects

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
as you're mentioning Limoges ... how good is Penn State as a college for bringing on NHL talents?

Penn State only started as a D1 program in 2012-13, so they've been building from the ground up and have a very solid program now. Since they were starting from nearly scratch, they weren't going to attract blue chip guys right away but that'll probably change in the coming years.

Reactions: uncleben

Johnny Danger

Jul 7, 2002
Suisse
Visit site
a few questions on the nations leading scorers ...

would you say Taro Hirose might be too soft? 4 PIM last season in 36 games. just 2 PIM this year. not gritty enough for a smaller guy? same question for Patrick Newell ... 0 PIM this year.

any opinions on Odeen Tufto? quite small at 5-8. is he gritty?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
a few questions on the nations leading scorers ...

would you say Taro Hirose might be too soft? 4 PIM last season in 36 games. just 2 PIM this year. not gritty enough for a smaller guy? same question for Patrick Newell ... 0 PIM this year.

any opinions on Odeen Tufto? quite small at 5-8. is he gritty?

Why smaller players need to be gritty? why?. Who says that?, who cares if he's gritty or not,
besides Taro Hirose is not that small, he is 5 foot 10 | 165 pounds, decent numbers for the new NHL.

Also,...why you look at his penalty minutes, dude is almost 1.7 ppg this season.

Johnny Danger

Jul 7, 2002
Suisse
Visit site
of course, smaller players dont HAVE TO be gritty. but imo some grit shows that they're able to handle the physicality of higher leagues.

i dont think Patrick Newell (0 PIM last season, 0 PIM this season) will play in the NHL. as i said ... of course i might be wrong.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Ryan Kuffner, scouting report?

Kuffner or Veronneau are probably a favorite for one of them being a Hobey Baker finalist.
Probably give the nod to the one with the better grades and course load.

Just a hard working forward, known for his cycle game, with a good release. I think Veroneauu is the better prospect.
But scouts have talked about what both of these guys are goin to look like away from each other.
They have played together 6 years straight.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Kuffner has been to a few camps and no one ever signed him. I don't think he has what it takes unless he made some huge leap this year. He was unnoticeable in the summer at Hawks camp.

Reactions: Fazkovsky

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Sometimes it's the player who opts not to sign. Either they'd rather put another year towards their degree (or just another year of being big man on campus versus riding buses in the AHL), or depending on age there might not be any advantage to signing early as per CBA rules. Ie, signing as a 22 year old means you get a 2 year ELC, but a 21 year old has to sign a 3 year ELC. Friedman mentioned Kuffner was still getting overtures, so he'll sign a deal after Princeton is eliminated. Whether he has NHL potential remains to be seen.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Anyone have any input on goalie Tommy Napier from Ohio State?

Johnny Danger

Jul 7, 2002
Suisse
Visit site
Anyone have any input on goalie Tommy Napier from Ohio State?

had 95,7% in the seasons first two months (Oct + Nov) and then 91,2% in december and january. so let's see how it goes on. just has almost 20 games in his NCAA-career so far.

what i'm wondering is how athletic he is .. looks like he could get some pounds off. at least on the pictures ;-)

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Or 2021 if he decided to play all for years of college which he won't.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Does anyone know why Jake Kielly hasn't been signed by anyone? Dudes put up real good goalie numbers throughout college. 6'2" isn't small either.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Does anyone know why Jake Kielly hasn't been signed by anyone? Dudes put up real good goalie numbers throughout college. 6'2" isn't small either.

I'm not familiar with Kielly, but some players prefer to remain in college rather than turn pro and play in the ECHL/AHL. CBA outlines that prospects who are 18-21 have to sign three year ELCs, 22-23 sign two year ELCs, and 24 year olds sign 1 year ELCs. So sometimes it makes more sense to get one year closer to a degree and not have it affect your free agency clock (for those guys who could sign at 21 versus 22). Somebody like Alex Lyon opted to return for his junior year at Yale rather than turn pro.

After doing some quick reading, it seems like he's good buddies with college teammate Nico Sturm and have been playing together in the NAHL/USHL since 2014. So it might make some sense to stick around school and go for a Frozen Four title / enjoy the college life.

Reactions: Konnan511

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I really like Sturm. I can definitely see him jumping right into a bottom-6 and PK role with an NHL club next season. He won’t need any seasoning or strength development at all. Could save a smart club from having to spend on an UFA checking line player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad