Top pick in 2007?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
89's huh? It's, IMO, ridiculous to even speculate.

No it's not. Talented kids often continue to dominate until the NHL. We are never sure about any prospect but it's fun to speculate. Most of the "stars" in québec's pee-wee tournament turns out as good prospects. People still remembers Lecavalier, Jbo, Kovalchuk (97), Nash(98), Zherdev(98), Brulé(200x), who were already very dominant. The best ever were Gretzky, Lindros and Sylvain Coté(oups).

Patrice Bergeron played in the 99 tournament and was in the NHL in 2003!

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Fedz said:
Ryan Kerr is so freakishly overrated it's actually kind of funny. He's been getting minimal amounts of icetime ever since his Grandpa left the team as coach(AKA Fired). I just talked to John Bokla the other day, a teammate of his, and he said that he might not even be able to make the Cougs next year.

That's a mystery. I remember PG's GM praising young Kerr during the intermission of one of the Giants broadcasts. Kerr will make the Cougars as a 16 year old, I can guarantee that.

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
I've here some good things about a couple kids for the 2021 draft.

Sure the kids can't walk yet, but the one baby I saw in a stroller the other day was chewing on something that looked like a hockey stick, and made me think he could be a good one for the 2021 draft.

Also, my little nephew has just started eating solid food, but with his appetite and obvious love of hockey (he chewed on a couple of his dad's hockey cards this one time), got me thinking he could be a good power forward available in the '21 draft.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
That's a mystery. I remember PG's GM praising young Kerr during the intermission of one of the Giants broadcasts. Kerr will make the Cougars as a 16 year old, I can guarantee that.

Kerr will make the Cougars in 2005/2006 there is no doubt about that. He has already played some games for the Cougars this season and will probably play more once his junior B team is finished for the year. I wouldn't say I have been blown away by Kerr, either in training camp or in his few games so far in the WHL, but perhaps it was a weak bantam draft class? He is only 15 though and next year and the year after that will tell the whole story.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
Darz said:

Sure the kids can't walk yet, but the one baby I saw in a stroller the other day was chewing on something that looked like a hockey stick, and made me think he could be a good one for the 2021 draft.

Also, my little nephew has just started eating solid food, but with his appetite and obvious love of hockey (he chewed on a couple of his dad's hockey cards this one time), got me thinking he could be a good power forward available in the '21 draft.
:lol

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
This is really the same time you always start hearing about the draft two years from now, the top young players (normally the late borns from the year before) always start getting noticed, they start getting CHL ice time, the Europeans start coming on a bit later, but the NTDP players start getting recognized. Every year people start talking about the younger guys, it'll be 2008 about this time next year I'd imagine. And we'll hear the same cracks, it gets old after a few years.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
kruezer said:
This is really the same time you always start hearing about the draft two years from now, the top young players (normally the late borns from the year before) always start getting noticed, they start getting CHL ice time, the Europeans start coming on a bit later, but the NTDP players start getting recognized. Every year people start talking about the younger guys, it'll be 2008 about this time next year I'd imagine. And we'll hear the same cracks, it gets old after a few years.

I agree. People act like the players keep getting younger and younger but that's really not the case. The '89 born players are 15 and will be drafted into the CHL, recruited for the NTDP, even make verbal commitments to NCAA teams and it will all be as a result of what they have done this season. There are no definitive answers as far as the NHL goes with these kids but it's perfectly reasonable to start naming names of who to watch out for in the next year or two.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
monster_bertuzzi said:
He won't play, and if he does it will either be limited icetime, or he'll be overexposed as the weak player he is. He as a #1 overall pick is struggling at the Jr.B level, where other players who are 89's who went WAY after him are playing well, case in point, Colton Gillies, Prab Rai, John Bokla. That's just naming 3 guys.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Darz said:

Hows his slapshot?

Fedz said:
He won't play, and if he does it will either be limited icetime, or he'll be overexposed as the weak player he is. He as a #1 overall pick is struggling at the Jr.B level, where other players who are 89's who went WAY after him are playing well, case in point, Colton Gillies, Prab Rai, John Bokla. That's just naming 3 guys.

Colton Gillies went one pick after him and only has scored one more point than Kerr so far this season despite Gillies being a forward and Kerr a defenceman. I'm not sure what sweeping conclusions you can make from this.

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
Captain Conservative said:
Hows his slapshot?

Actaully I was at my brother's the other day, and he was holding Matthew (my little nephew) and Matthew slapped at a coaster and send it flying across the room, so I figue he has a pretty decent slapshot.

He's gotta stop crapping his pants mind you. I think that might really hamper his development.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Darz said:
Actaully I was at my brother's the other day, and he was holding Matthew (my little nephew) and Matthew slapped at a coaster and send it flying across the room, so I figue he has a pretty decent slapshot.

He's gotta stop crapping his pants mind you. I think that might really hamper his development.

Man we gotta sign this kid in Detroit. Besides Ray Whitney pisses his pants whenever he's about to get hit so he'd fit right in.

Prof_it

Sep 2, 2004
neelynugs said:
forgive me, but i forget the kid's name...his dad was a lacrosse star, and bob mckenzie did a piece on him recently. i think he was either 13 or 14 years old, and they used initials like JT or TJ or something. apparently he's gonna be a total stud down the line.

edit: nevermind- john tavares "JT"

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie.asp?id=106431

I saw Tavares and his Toronto Marlboros play Fall 2004. The team was good. They played a puck possesion game and did it well. I'm so used to seeing Midget teams either dump-chase or trap, I was surprised at their skill level. I remember a couple sons of NHLers as well, Gagne and Vaive.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Darz said:

Oh yeah? Well I'll make my wife wear some goalie equipment when we're going to conceive a child, and may even invite a play-by-play commentator just to get the hockey introduced early!

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
King'sPawn said:
Oh yeah? Well I'll make my wife wear some goalie equipment when we're going to conceive a child, and may even invite a play-by-play commentator just to get the hockey introduced early!

I was going to make some sort of joke about shooting five hole, but........ :D

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
mercury said:
I remember someone joking about Crosby last year, and asking where the 12-year-old Next One was, and someone actually had an answer, including stats. That's hilarious.

They will always try to find the next lemieux/ gretzky, till ..... i dunno.

The next one is i think tavares. it´s kinda funny.

However the nba did the same till they got lebron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad