Top NCAA free agent... not a FA after all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
One of this year's top NCAA free agents, Thomas Pock, may not be a free agent after all.

Red Line Report continues to rank Pock as a draft eligible player which has many people scratching their heads.

The question now that's present is this:
Being from Austria... is he required to be drafted to play in the NHL?

Peter Senja, last year's Hobey Baker winner, was born in Slovakia but played here in North America prior to playing in the NCAA (USHL).

Now Pock, prior to playing NCAA hockey at UMass-Amherst played for the Klagenfurt Athletic Club in Austria and also for the Austrian-National team. So he did not have any North American hockey under his belt prior to his NCAA career.

So either RLR is completely skewered or they're on to something.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Schlep Rock said:
One of this year's top NCAA free agents, Thomas Pock, may not be a free agent after all.

Red Line Report continues to rank Pock as a draft eligible player which has many people scratching their heads.

The question now that's present is this:
Being from Austria... is he required to be drafted to play in the NHL?

Peter Senja, last year's Hobey Baker winner, was born in Slovakia but played here in North America prior to playing in the NCAA (USHL).

Now Pock, prior to playing NCAA hockey at UMass-Amherst played for the Klagenfurt Athletic Club in Austria and also for the Austrian-National team. So he did not have any North American hockey under his belt prior to his NCAA career.

So either RLR is completely skewered or they're on to something.

Well.....According to the NHL CBA " iv)a player age 21 or older who played hockey for at least one season in North America when he was age 18, 19 or 20." Is a free-agent and not eligible for the entry draft.

Now...Pock is 22 years old (12/2/81), and played in North America when he was 18,19 and 20, so it seems pretty clear cut to me

Hope this helps

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
TMHUNH said:
Well.....According to the NHL CBA " iv)a player age 21 or older who played hockey for at least one season in North America when he was age 18, 19 or 20." Is a free-agent and not eligible for the entry draft.

Now...Pock is 22 years old (12/2/81), and played in North America when he was 18,19 and 20, so it seems pretty clear cut to me

Hope this helps

I agree that it seems clear cut. I've made some phone calls but RLR *MIGHT* be on to something.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
gopher said:
interesting, verry interesting!

is pöck ranked too, by red line?

Pock is ranked by RLR in this month's issue.

Nobody returned my calls today, see what develops tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad