Top Line

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
This is from earlier today:

Going into training camp, all signs pointed toward Jakub Voracek ascending to the top line to replace Jagr, since he had a career-high 18 goals last season.

Even though the Czech is indeed getting some ice time there, three days into camp, young Brayden Schenn has been playing the wing there most times, not Voracek.

It would appear that’s how things will debut Saturday on NBC when the Flyers host the Pittsburgh Penguins.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phi...start-on-Flyers-top?blockID=823587&feedID=695

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I'm very interested in this Schenn/Giroux/Hartnell line. Allows Couturier to move up then and focus more on offense. I'm for it, but surprised it isn't Jake. He seemed the natural, complementary piece for that line.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I'm very interested in this Schenn/Giroux/Hartnell line. Allows Couturier to move up then and focus more on offense. I'm for it, but surprised it isn't Jake. He seemed the natural, complementary piece for that line.

Briere isn't in yet, so it's hard to finalize the lines but Schenn DID play with Hartnell and Giroux in the playoffs after Jagr got hurt.

Voracek is a great player who can anchor a second offensive line, so I don't see the need to play him with the top line and load up too much. Schenn is also tougher, so he helps provide protection for G too.

We'll see how it pans out, but I think we'll get the scoring we need from across the top three lines, and some energy out of the 4th line.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Briere isn't in yet, so it's hard to finalize the lines but Schenn DID play with Hartnell and Giroux in the playoffs after Jagr got hurt.

Voracek is a great player who can anchor a second offensive line, so I don't see the need to play him with the top line and load up too much. Schenn is also tougher, so he helps provide protection for G too.

We'll see how it pans out, but I think we'll get the scoring we need from across the top three lines, and some energy out of the 4th line.

I just don't feel that Schenn complements the top line as well as Voracek does. Voracek is fast, big, and more pass-friendly. Hartnell does what Schenn would do really. I am fine with either, I just thought the Simmonds-Briere-Schenn combo clicked well enough to have Jake on the top line.

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
I just don't feel that Schenn complements the top line as well as Voracek does. Voracek is fast, big, and more pass-friendly. Hartnell does what Schenn would do really. I am fine with either, I just thought the Simmonds-Briere-Schenn combo clicked well enough to have Jake on the top line.

I shared in that logic, but I understand why they would be intrigued by combining Giroux's playmaking with Schenn's quick shot release. They also utilize more of Voracek's defensive value by having him pick up the slack for Briere. It also protects Schenn defensively, as he is not refined in that area yet and they would be wary of keeping him with Briere who is terrible in his own end. Don't want to concentrate too much liability.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011

The beauty of this is that we get to see it and adjust accordingly. To me, the rationale for Schenn over Voracek is puck control. You want Giroux to control the play of the first line and be there to distribute or finish as the openings present. Voracek, imo, has less finishing ability than Schenn and his puck control abilities would be of incredibly high value on the 2nd line. A Briere - Couturier - Voracek second line offers a lot.

Overall, regardless of how the season starts, the lines will almost assuredly see some adjustments as the season progresses. We're going to roll 4 lines because of our exceptional depth, so it's no issue for jake to play the second line, especially as it appears he'll get top PP time as well.

ClarkeRuled

Feb 20, 2012
Erie, Pennsylvania
I'll be interested to see how Schenn does if he is indeed on the top line Saturday and Sunday. I think he'll do well. I have a feeling he's going to really produce for us this season.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
I shared in that logic, but I understand why they would be intrigued by combining Giroux's playmaking with Schenn's quick shot release. They also utilize more of Voracek's defensive value by having him pick up the slack for Briere. It also protects Schenn defensively, as he is not refined in that area yet and they would be wary of keeping him with Briere who is terrible in his own end. Don't want to concentrate too much liability.

Maybe Voracek's great playmaking can help Briere get his goal scoring back

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
I like the idea of Schenn on the top line with his captain (and fellow canadians). Hypothetically it would do more for his development, and Voracek's development isn't much of a factor now. But as others have said, we'll get to try it all and see what works best chemistry-wise. One of those good "problems" (more like a kink to be worked out) to have.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
I'm more excited to see Shcenn on G and Hartsy's line than Voracek, not that Voraceck wouldn't be a positive, I think Schenn could be a bigger boost and makes that first line crazy talented and really gritty and tough to play against, plus Briere-Couts-Voracek has the potential to be a sick sick line, Couts can cover Danny B's defensive woes and the all can score, I'm just excited to have hockey start

CootaRoo

Oct 18, 2012
I think Schenn makes more sense on the line. He has a better shot and is a bigger, stronger presence on the ice than Jake. Kind of reminds me of the Hart-Giroux-Simmonds PP line with more skill - and we all know how that worked out having those two immovable objects out there opening space for Roo.

I also think Voracek-Briere-Simmonds could be a nice combo. Having Voracek as the puck mover lets Briere set up shop beind the net in the cycle (his forte) and Simmonds can crash the net.

That being said, we all know that our opening night lines won't last 5 games.

StoneColdAnimal

Nov 16, 2010

I am very happy to see Schenn on the first line over Voracek. And I am a HUGE Voracek fan. However, Voracek and Giroux both need to dominate the puck to be at their best. Schenn is offensively skilled, but does not need the puck to be successful and will bring a physicality to the line that will help Giroux. Further, Voracek and Couts shows great chemistry during the limited times they played together. I am very happy to see those two on the same line. I think Simmonds would be a natural fit there, but Talbot will also work I guess.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
I also think Voracek-Briere-Simmonds could be a nice combo. Having Voracek as the puck mover lets Briere set up shop beind the net in the cycle (his forte) and Simmonds can crash the net.

If last year were an appropriate portrayal, that line (out of Jake who is decent to above average defensively) would be atrocious defensively. Personally, Simmonds would have to make tremendous strides on that side of the ice to ever consider pairing him with a defensive liability like Briere.

I like the idea of Couturier centering Jake and Briere, however. That's a much more balanced line and would leave an appropriately gritty, tough 3rd line of Read - Talbot/Laughton - Simmonds

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
That being said, we all know that our opening night lines won't last 5 games.
Certainly not, what with Briere not playing in either game this weekend. So in regards to the OP's specific question - which I assume is fantasy related - it was known from the beginning that Briere was hurt, so Lavs may be focused primarily on the first and second games of the season with the lines he's been using. It could all change when Danny's reinserted, there's no way to tell. On the other hand it gives them a chance to click and if the coach likes what he sees, it could be the start of a long trend.
3rd line of Read - Talbot/Laughton - Simmonds
Not that I'm absolutely married to Max being locked into the 4th, but it does seem like his natural home. Regardless of where he plays, do you see Feds being picked up to be a 4th line plug? I haven't followed him much since he left the team so just asking.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Last year I was not impressed at all by Schenn's Defensive acumen. And having him on a line with JVR and Briere was a disaster in hindsight for the playoffs.

Lets be clear here, Jake is a first line winger, and he will be a staple of the first unit PP like he was in the playoffs. But his 2 way play is needed more on Briere's line then it is on Giroux's line.

Better yet. a line of Briere Couturier Voracek would be glorious in my opinon.

That gives Read a chance to center the 3rd line with a net prescence in Simmonds.

I don't know if Couturier's game is developed enough yet to be able to produce like a 2nd center on this team needs to be, but we can only hope.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad