Sportsnet: "Top" Line Woes

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
The quote in the OP tells it all.They are losing on purpose.We are all happy that the team is tanking but crying because the players doing it are playing bad.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Trade Bozak for anything the Leafs can get and then see how Kessel reacts playing with someone else before we walk away:ghost3:

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Trade Bozak for anything the Leafs can get and then see how Kessel reacts playing with someone else before we walk away:ghost3:

Kessel's lack of work ethic doesn't belong in a Leafs rebuild, IMO when trying to teach the new young players coming in a positive team first attitude and strong work ethic.

Kessel is all about Kessel.

CULTURE CHANGE!

Make it happen Shanny.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Although most people respond to the energy they're being fed in kind. I can see JVR flourishing off that line. I can't see Bozak and Kessel flourishing on the Leafs or the fans putting up with those two roomies another season.

My loyalty to the team will be significantly tested if Bozak is back in a top-6 role next season.

He's proven that he is a useless passenger with below average offensive skill.

3C at best. I could accept him on the team next season if he was guaranteed to receive PP time only as an injury fill in, and played in the bottom 6 at ES.

I just can't handle him playing an offensive role. I'm done.

Overall, I'd be much happier if we can clear his cap space. Bozak for a 7th.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Although most people respond to the energy they're being fed in kind. I can see JVR flourishing off that line. I can't see Bozak and Kessel flourishing on the Leafs or the fans putting up with those two roomies another season.

I don't see how Bozak and Kessel can be held to the same accountability?

One has a 8 cap hit, which puts him in the elite category, the other is paid as a 2nd. liner.

Kessel - 10th. highest cap hit

van Riemsdyk ~ 171st.
Bozak ~ 182nd.

They aren't even in the same ballpark as Kessel.

It is a cap league, and the cap rules.

Durkin67

Kessel's lack of work ethic doesn't belong in a Leafs rebuild, IMO when trying to teach the new young players coming in a positive team first attitude and strong work ethic.

Kessel is all about Kessel.

CULTURE CHANGE!

Make it happen Shanny.

Couldn't agree more.

I just watched a great video clip of Carey Price, who sponsors a breakfast club at his former school.
Really cool stuff. You see PK getting involved with the community, growing the fan base and giving back all the time.

Our boy Phil just sits there all surly, and emotionally wounded, complaining about the media, and the coach.

Where's his contribution to the community? I don't mean team commitment, I mean personal initiatives.

Kessel is all about Kessel. You nailed it.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
Couldn't agree more.

I just watched a great video clip of Carey Price, who sponsors a breakfast club at his former school.
Really cool stuff. You see PK getting involved with the community, growing the fan base and giving back all the time.

Our boy Phil just sits there all surly, and emotionally wounded, complaining about the media, and the coach.

Where's his contribution to the community? I don't mean team commitment, I mean personal initiatives.

Kessel is all about Kessel. You nailed it.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Appreciated.:)

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario

One has a 8 cap hit, which puts him in the elite category, the other is paid as a 2nd. liner.

van Riemsdyk ~ 171st.
Bozak ~ 182nd.

IDK perhaps Bozak should have realized that actually staying up on the top line with Kessel and 1PP was hurting the team and volunteered to take himself off the line for the good of the team when games still mattered.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
So now Bozak is responsible for coaching the team?

That Bozak is one amazing individual.

No just realizing and playing his best suited role on it all by himself, despite what his buddy might want. For the good of the team.:)

Although that may cause a lot of turmoil with his roommate...

You're right. It would have been better to have a couch with the guts to break the two up permanently and live with the whining and complaining.

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site

van Riemsdyk ~ 171st.
Bozak ~ 182nd.

You do realize that Kessel has obliterated Bozak statistically since Bozak entered the league, right?

Kessel earned that contract. I'm not a big fan of him, but you can't just ignore his offensive production. He's one of the highest scorers in the league over the last few years.

Play Bozak away from Kessel, and see if he earns his $4m. He can't even earn it playing with Kessel.

He underperforms his usage, considerably. Not a good player.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
If what Dreger says is true, Kessel is essentially gone. That will do wonders

Yep. I feel bad for the team that gets stuck with Kessel. Gonna be completely useless very soon (if he isn't already). He's got skills ya... but he makes your team worse. For an $8 million player, you should not make your team worse.

If you gave me the choice of having Winnik on my team for 1 year or Kessel on my team for 1 year... at the exact same salary... I would take Winnik. I believe the team would win more games with Winnik over Kessel.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Kessel has been bad, yes, Bozak, well he rarely counted but what really helped the 1st line was JVR going to the front of the opposition's net, he doesn't do that any more.

RC told him to go to the front of the opposition's net, forced him to, but RC isn't there anymore. Going to the net was JVR's greatest strength, he doesn't do much else but his presence in front of the net created space that Kessel exploited, there's no space for Kessel anymore so no matter how talented Kessel is he hasn't the linemates that he needs to achieve.

TO's 1st line is undermanned with players of too little talent, Bozak, and the undernotivated, JVR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad