Speculation: Top KHL Players for the UFA Market

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
A lot of work for a list of players whom most wont ever come over/back as they aren’t nhl caliber. They make more overseas than in the ahl. Most of these guys end up overseas or in the ahl by mid season. The few that survive tend to end up not being offered another contract and head back once the contracts up.

Also the projections are way too ambitious. All the guys projected roles for the upcoming season are meaningful minutes. Maybe 2-3 max are good enough for that. The rest are replacement level players

Some make it, some don't, some won't even try and also some other guys will, but those aren't on any lists so far. I still had fun. Last summer there were 10 UFA guys from the KHL: 2 played in the NHL full-time this season, 3 are relatively young prospects with couple of NHL games now, 1 AHLer with couple NHL games, 3 full time AHLers, 1 returned to Europe from the AHL. This time I think it is not unreasonable to expect something more at least due to the factors I mentioned in the article.

As for the projection, yes, I probably thought of a more optimistic scenarios, although I think for couple of players on the list some might say I've been too harsh.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Btw, speaking of money, I just read Marchenko's interview and he told that 1.5m per season is a good money. So that's if talking about what potential cost could be for those, who are not limited to the ELC.

Reactions: CF Punk

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
So a team looking for a C from KHL only has Grigorenko, Vey and Altonen as options?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Mikko Lehtonen, he doesn't have anything left to prove in Europe. He is still signed with Jokerit next year, but im sure they ain't gonna stand in his way. Jokerit will terminate his contract, if Lehtonen wants.

Mikko Lehtonen at eliteprospects.com

I would've included him in the list, but earlier there was an info that he wants to wait another year. Maybe something has changed, but I don't really have proper access to Finnish sports media due to language barrier, so I didn't see any updates.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I remember reading somewhere earlier this year that Dubas had also spoken to Alexander Burmistrov. I have no idea where I saw that or what his contract in the KHL is like right now though. At 28 years old, it would probably be his last shot at making the jump BACK to the NHL... if he cares about that sort of thing.

He should concentrate on D more, unless he wants to make earth shattering changes, which may be the right thing.

Reactions: CF Punk

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

Dreger saying Melnichuk is getting closer to signing

Other accounts (shoutout caser) are saying CAR, COL, SJS, VGK are the four teams he's narrowed down to

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Other accounts are saying CAR, COL, SJS, VGK are the four teams he's narrowed down to

Canes make a lot of sense. Would also make the Metro the home of the young Russian goalies lol

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta

Other accounts are saying CAR, COL, SJS, VGK are the four teams he's narrowed down to

I think the sharks make the best push they can, they are the only team without any locked in goalies for the future or good goalie prospects

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
He's only 25 years old... :popcorn:

There was rumours that he was actually 20 years old when he got drafted... basicly he comes from a super rural/poor area in Russia and didnt have a birth certificate (at least thats the rumour if I remember correctly)

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Slepyshev is an offtopic for this thread though, as he isn't UFA in terms of NHL status. But no surprise, reportedly Oilers wanted to give him just slightly over 1m, makes sense for him to wait until the UFA age.
Indeed makes sense. Starting to showcase best hockey of his life, risking going over to NA to the same org that didn't work out last time for average money seems too risky.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Slepyshev is an offtopic for this thread though, as he isn't UFA in terms of NHL status. But no surprise, reportedly Oilers wanted to give him just slightly over 1m, makes sense for him to wait until the UFA age.
Sorry, I just wasn’t sure where else to put this

Reactions: Caser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad