Top goaltending prospects (2006 included)

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
monster_bertuzzi said:
Why exactly did Pavelec fall in the 05' draft? He seems like a great one.

He didnt fall. When the Leafs were picking Pavalech and Rask were both equal on my list. It was just the matter of the team needs. Toronto, IMO, took Rask because Finland is producing some wicked goalies nowadays. No disrespect to Pavalech, he's wicked!

However, We leaf fans are happy with Rask. :)

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I haven't seen as much (or any) of most of these guys, but I've seen quite a bit of Jimmy Howard going back to his Maine days, and I have to say this kid looks very special. The thing I like best about him is that when the game is on the line, he gets better. When the stakes go up, like in the playoffs, so does his play. I really think this kid is going to be a great money goalie for a long time in the NHL, if the Wings can put a decent defense together in front of him and help him out just a little bit.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
clay said:
My list in no particular order:

Cory Schneider
Tuuka Rask
Jimmy Howard
Josh Harding
Justin Pogge
Ondrej Pavelec

Haha, Schneider over Montoya?

I watched both throughout their college careers and I've watched Al in Hartford now. There's no way in hell that Schneider can be above Al right now.

Schneider is an awesome prospect and one of my favorite USA prospects, but he's not above Montoya.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Jon Prescription said:
Haha, Schneider over Montoya?

I watched both throughout their college careers and I've watched Al in Hartford now. There's no way in hell that Schneider can be above Al right now.

Schneider is an awesome prospect and one of my favorite USA prospects, but he's not above Montoya.

Did you happen to notice that he said "in no particular order"?

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Jon Prescription said:
Did you happen to notice Montoya wasn't in his list which is why I commented?

Ah yes, very good point. I guess I should look at the list next time before I comment.

Jack Splat

Apr 8, 2006
Hershey, PA
Have any of you seen Bobby Goepfert play at St. Cloud State? How good is he? How does he stack up against the guys mentioned above?

kovalev27hf

Aug 3, 2005
nyc
bobby geoph is a friend of mine and is lights out. had some personal problems with school but he's right back on track and is an OUTSTANDING young goalie. little small but the kid is double jointed all over!! gotta love him

the fact that al montoya is being disregarded here is pretty ridiculous. kid won a world junior championship and has been phenomenal for hartford this year. he had his post draft hiccup year but outside of that he's accomplished alot more than most of the guys you are talking about. pretty silly not to have him in your top 5

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Lundqvist#30 said:
He up for this year's draft or next year's?

This year.

Could be the second goalie taken. :)

This years goalie depth is too good. I hope the Leafs select one of

Leland Irving
Semen Varlamov
Jonathan Bernier
Jhonas Enroth
Riku Helenius
Reto Berra

in the 2nd or 3rd round. Its very nice to have depth at goaltending. Leafs already have Rask and Pogge, and one more should be nice as insurance. :)

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
MaDdY said:
This year.

Could be the second goalie taken. :)

This years goalie depth is too good. I hope the Leafs select one of

Leland Irving
Semen Varlamov
Jonathan Bernier
Jhonas Enroth
Riku Helenius
Reto Berra

in the 2nd or 3rd round. Its very nice to have depth at goaltending. Leafs already have Rask and Pogge, and one more should be nice as insurance. :)

Billy Sauer is also a goalie with good potential, who is available in this year's draft.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
habsfan15 said:
Billy Sauer is also a goalie with good potential, who is available in this year's draft.

Saw him play a couple of times, and he was atrocious. For his sake I hope he's going to get a lot better. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole though. A guy that big should make a number of saves just getting in the way, but he seemed like he was jumping OUT of the way of the puck.

zoomba

May 11, 2006
Unionville, ON
I haven't seen much of Pavelech. What are his strengths? I (being a Leafs fan) am very familiar with Rask. For those of you who say Pavelech is just as good, why do you say this?

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
sarcastro said:
Saw him play a couple of times, and he was atrocious. For his sake I hope he's going to get a lot better. I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot pole though. A guy that big should make a number of saves just getting in the way, but he seemed like he was jumping OUT of the way of the puck.

Well if you've only seen him play a couple of times then that's not much to base it on.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I knew about Sauer and i think one more...Palmer?

Sauer was considered the top goalie prospect some time ago but then he just dropped for some reason. I dont know what exactly happened, because i've never seen him play. Out of all these guys i've only seen Reto Berra, Jonathan Bernier, and Jhonas Enroth play...

Enroth should be a good one.

Lars

Aug 22, 2005
Vancouver Canada
JacketsFanWest said:
Tomas Popperle. I wouldn't be suprised if he was backing up Leclaire in Columbus by the end of next season.

Theres no way hes going to be the backup to LecLaire... for starters you gotta more Denis first as he wont be in the AHL... haha. And second of all ... i highly doubt a 2005 draftee would go straight from The Czech League to the NHL without playing a full season in the AHL.

It would be first of all a good idea for him to play more in the AHL, gain more experience so he is more preperared if he ever gets put into a starting role. Why would they have him backup ? and sit on the Bench? thats pretty pointless IMO.

Goalies take longer than Forwards to develop and I dont think he'll be a backup (If he ever becomes one) for atleast 3 Seasons.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
zoomba said:
I haven't seen much of Pavelech. What are his strengths? I (being a Leafs fan) am very familiar with Rask. For those of you who say Pavelech is just as good, why do you say this?
Lightning quick, absolutly best goaltender in the Q by a mile this year. Steals games. The only reason Cape Breton did anything this year. A reaction goaltender, uses nurmorous different styles to get the job done. Impossible to beat low.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->