Top Goalie Prospects?

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
You aren't being biased.

Oettinger had a .915 in college hockey this season. Thats against players his age. Not even a men's league. He's a good prospect, and its fair to say he might be on par with those guys eventually, but right now its not close.

Demko might be closer, but he doesn't have the body of work that the other guys have. Worse league, SV%'s in pro hockey aren't even close. None of those guys are putting up a .905, which is what Demko did two seasons ago. He was better this past year.

Ha! Two seasons ago?

You’re basing a player’s potential on a small sample two seasons ago during their rookie pro season?

It was .907, and that was after a poor stretch of play to start the year with an avg around .880, with his fantastic late season play bringing it back up.

You’ve gotta be kidding if you’re using that as an excuse to rank Demko lower.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
You aren't being biased.

Oettinger had a .915 in college hockey this season. Thats against players his age. Not even a men's league. He's a good prospect, and its fair to say he might be on par with those guys eventually, but right now its not close.

Demko might be closer, but he doesn't have the body of work that the other guys have. Worse league, SV%'s in pro hockey aren't even close. None of those guys are putting up a .905, which is what Demko did two seasons ago. He was better this past year.
Alright, thanks, but the way some people talk about those two...jeez lol.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Man, reading this list and the other suggestions is kind of frightening. Not only is there a lack of true starting goaltender talent in the NHL but there really isn't much in the way of blue-chip prospects coming through.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Samsonov is the most physically gifted of the young Russian goalies. He has a really lean athletic body and excellent quickness and if he puts it all together he might be an outstanding goalie in the NHL.

But goaltending is more than the physical stuff. It's about concentration and consistency. Although I like Samsonov I have seen him give up some bad goals on occasion. His positioning and five hole are not always great, although he has been working on this.

Young goalies are unpredictable. You really don't know what you are getting because a player's mental maturity and dedication is unknowable. No one knew Connor Hellebuyck would become what he is. Ultimately his emergence came due to several factors coming together at the same time: he is very talented, he worked extremely hard on his game, including relaxation and concentration, and the team in front of him improved a lot (yeah external factors play a role too).

Regarding Carter Hart, just wait and see what he does in the pros. Yeah he has looked great but junior hockey and professional hockey are miles apart, particularly when it comes to projecting goalies. We saw Parsons dominate juniors and then the transition to pros hit him like a bag of bricks.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
im a flyer fan , so this is a biased view point but i feel like there is something really special about Carter Hart.
Kid can play. His only knock has been his size, he’s roughly around 6’1 to 6’2. That’s small for today’s goalies but he does have talent.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
The Russians then Demko, Hart + Husso are my top. Oettinger does not belong in this convo at all right now. Skinner and Primeau etc are kids that look good but it all depends on what happens when they start playing vs men.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
im a flyer fan , so this is a biased view point but i feel like there is something really special about Carter Hart.
I actually had this conversation with a few others the other day. I think he is good, but definitely doesn't deserve the "best goalie prospect" praise he keeps getting.

Reactions: Son of Petter

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Hart, Samsonov, Oettinger, Demko and this Gustavsson kid Ottawa got in the Brassard deal should be a good 1 as well. Those are your top 5 IMO.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I actually had this conversation with a few others the other day. I think he is good, but definitely doesn't deserve the "best goalie prospect" praise he keeps getting.

But there is so much evidence that would fly in the face of your statement. You are more than welcome to have your own opinion, the problem is that anyone can call your opinion as ridiculous and then provide copious amount of proof as to why that is the case. You on the other hand have yet to b back up your opinion iwth any sort of proof

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
He absolutely gobsmacked the WHL this past season. He was 3.6 standard deviations above the mean the season before, with a .927sv%. .947 over 41 games is absolutely freaking absurd.

The last starting goalie who finished over .930 was Patrik Bartosak in 2012-13, and he was a very promising goaltender. Still is a very good goaltender, just a shit person. Before that it was Darcy Kuemper in 2010-11.

Now, goaltenders are voodoo, so it's entirely possible that Hart doesn't end up an elite goalie. But those WHL results even without his latest season are very promising. With his latest season, AFAIK, they're unheard of.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
But there is so much evidence that would fly in the face of your statement. You are more than welcome to have your own opinion, the problem is that anyone can call your opinion as ridiculous and then provide copious amount of proof as to why that is the case. You on the other hand have yet to b back up your opinion iwth any sort of proof
Yea you're right, there is a lot of proof against me, but relax. I admitted I may be wrong with my original post. I had him at number 3 in the world, but then again, he very well could be behind one or two of the Russians. He's only in juniors. And isn't this year his only monster season? That I am not sure about. How consistent he is.

By the way, did you provide proof? Or are you only listening to other Flyers fans? Not trying to insult. Just wondering.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Yea you're right, there is a lot of proof against me, but relax. I admitted I may be wrong with my original post. I had him at number 3 in the world, but then again, he very well could be behind the Russians. He's only in juniors. And isn't this year his only monster season? That I am not sure about. How consistent he is.

By the way, did you provide proof? Or are you only listening to other Flyers fans? Not trying to insult. Just wondering.

i feel like the proof is well known. Broke about as many chl records as you can. First time 2x chl goal tender of the year award. Probably should have been 3. Dominated the World juniors. Finished the season with a .949 sv percentage in the WHL which is the highest scoring league. His junior level stats are eye popping and going forward he could and should be considered the greatest CHL goalie of all time. That is quite some praise.

there is probably not a more intriguing prospect the flyers have right now.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
i feel like the proof is well known. Broke about as many chl records as you can. First time 2x chl goal tender of the year award. Probably should have been 3. Dominated the World juniors. Finished the season with a .949 sv percentage in the WHL which is the highest scoring league. His junior level stats are eye popping and going forward he could and should be considered the greatest CHL goalie of all time. That is quite some praise.

there is probably not a more intriguing prospect the flyers have right now.
I know of his records. Didn't know they were that good. But I'm always weary when a prospect goes from underrated to overrated in such a short time span. Like I said, maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't Stolarz supposed to be the savior as well? All I'm saying is that prospects, especially goalie prospects, are very hard to project. Especially when they have one amazing season. We will see how he does in the pros. I still feel like the hype is crazy, but yes, Hart has the potential to be one of the best goalies in the league. But like I said, the hype is just too much for me. I've seen a couple people say Hart can lead an NHL team to a Stanley Cup by himself.

Reactions: Jtown

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Man, reading this list and the other suggestions is kind of frightening. Not only is there a lack of true starting goaltender talent in the NHL but there really isn't much in the way of blue-chip prospects coming through.
I disagree. I think there’s still lots of elite goalies coming up at least potentially. It’s just that there’s not as much of a gap as there used to be because mechanically all young goalies are being so well coached now.
That said, we haven’t seen that superstar goalie emerge yet.

Last edited:

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
He absolutely gobsmacked the WHL this past season. He was 3.6 standard deviations above the mean the season before, with a .927sv%. .947 over 41 games is absolutely freaking absurd.

The last starting goalie who finished over .930 was Patrik Bartosak in 2012-13, and he was a very promising goaltender. Still is a very good goaltender, just a **** person. Before that it was Darcy Kuemper in 2010-11.

Now, goaltenders are voodoo, so it's entirely possible that Hart doesn't end up an elite goalie. But those WHL results even without his latest season are very promising. With his latest season, AFAIK, they're unheard of.

Yikes. Pretty awful company for Hart.

I think I'd echo the same. The Russians, Hart, Husso and Demko.

I find myself surprised that Saros was named. He's looked average to me.

I'd also like to put in a biased mention for Evan Fitzpatrick. Might not become anything but he has a little bit of hype

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Oettinger regressed last year, and Hart looks cray. I would put Hart ahead of Oettinger.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I know of his records. Didn't know they were that good. But I'm always weary when a prospect goes from underrated to overrated in such a short time span. Like I said, maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't Stolarz supposed to be the savior as well? All I'm saying is that prospects, especially goalie prospects, are very hard to project. Especially when they have one amazing season. We will see how he does in the pros. I still feel like the hype is crazy, but yes, Hart has the potential to be one of the best goalies in the league. But like I said, the hype is just too much for me. I've seen a couple people say Hart can lead an NHL team to a Stanley Cup by himself.

Stolarz maybe wasn't a savior but he had some unique attributes that made him very intiruging, then you add on top of that how well he did in the ohl and things looked promising. Then he started getting some very flukey injuries, and its unfortunate but his future really is up in the air. It does not devalue his talent level at the time however. No goalie can lead a cup team by himself, but Hart can win a cup and he may be ready as soon as this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->