Top GM Replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Has anyone heard anything lately? Last I heard we were suppose to start asking for permission late last week.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I'm not putting his name forward as an idea for the next GM, but I would be curious to hear what Bill Scott's role has been in terms of the Condors.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Wonder if Oilers could lure Mark Stone here on July 1st. Assuming Oilers next GM is Mccrimmon. Mark Stone speaks very highly of him and credits much of his success to his time in Brandon.

By all accounts Stone would be a great guy for the room, really help this team moving forward

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Wonder if Oilers could lure Mark Stone here on July 1st. Assuming Oilers next GM is Mccrimmon. Mark Stone speaks very highly of him and credits much of his success to his time in Brandon.

By all accounts Stone would be a great guy for the room, really help this team moving forward
We don't have the cap space. Unless our plan is to go into next season with the exact same team + Stone. And even then....that's still a horrible roster

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
We don't have the cap space. Unless our plan is to go into next season with the exact same team + Stone. And even then....that's still a horrible roster
That's why we need to be sellers...trade off Kassian, Talbot, Manning, Petrovic, Benning, Spooner for anything you can get picks wise...Lucic and Sekera too if you can. Just get picks, picks, picks and glorious cap space. Take those picks and trade up the best you can during the draft. Go hunting for replacements in the summer.
I'd even consider trading Drai at this point for another winger that's willing to back check consistently (and can still score - Duschene maybe)?

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
That's why we need to be sellers...trade off Kassian, Talbot, Manning, Petrovic, Benning, Spooner for anything you can get picks wise...Lucic and Sekera too if you can. Just get picks, picks, picks and glorious cap space. Take those picks and trade up the best you can during the draft. Go hunting for replacements in the summer.
I'd even consider trading Drai at this point for another winger that's willing to back check consistently (and can still score - Duschene maybe)?
HF should add a dislike button

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Go into next season adding Stone, Bouchard, Jones, Benson, Marody and Gambardella as well as a vet or two that isn't ready for pasture.

Benson-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Stone
Khaira-Marody-Pujujarvi
Gambardella-?-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Jones-Bouchard

Koskinen
Starrett/Veteran goalie

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
The issue I have with looking at a GMs drafting is that drafting is largely, and almost wholly, luck (after the late 2nd round). Most times, if you just pick skill, or just avoid picking the coke machines, youll land good players over a 10 year period. Hell, if you exclude our obvious coke machine picks (Moroz, Abney, etc etc X 20), we actually got some good talent such as Reider, Petry, Dubnyk, Cogs, Marincin, Khaira, Gustafsson etc. The problem is, we picked SOOO many coke machines

I guess what I am trying to get at, is that these "good drafting" GMs just avoided picking coke machines. I wouldnt say thats a special talent enough to warrant them getting hired solely on that. And even further, after the 1st/2nd round, most GMs have little input in the picks and just go on the head scouts recommendation. So oud have to get that GM plus the head scout

Any GM should also be good as pro scouting (arguably more important than amateur scouting), trades, signings etc. Basically, he has to show competency is his evaluation process that hes not going to overvalue a player due to one hot stretch, nor undervalue a player due to one unlucky, down season

I also dont think Id be thrilled with bringing in a guy who thought Carlyle was a good coaching decision and then stuck by him for this long. Or brought in Dallas Eakins with the mind to potentially replace Carlyle. Massive red flags right there
I disagree on the drafting piece especially when it comes to Bob Murray. anaheim has been drafting in the back half of the first for over a decade and still manage to find good players and develop them properly.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Go into next season adding Stone, Bouchard, Jones, Benson, Marody and Gambardella as well as a vet or two that isn't ready for pasture.

Benson-McDavid-Draisaitl
Lucic-RNH-Stone
Khaira-Marody-Pujujarvi
Gambardella-?-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera
Jones-Bouchard

Koskinen
Starrett/Veteran goalie
Don't think Marody can carry 2 4th liners into a 3rd line

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'll sadly believe it when I've seen it, both have taken good step backs this year.

Fair enough. Ideally both start on a 3rd line next season and then if they want more ice they will need to earn it. Jesse saw a coaching change and is now not in favor with a 2nd coach, maybe that opens his eyes a bit? We'll see.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The best/smart candidates will not come here.
I don't know who actually is the best to be honest, but I like what gregor said the candidate needs to do.

Take a page out of Hervey's book. Hervey has been on record to say when he goes into an interview he lays out his plan. A plan that talks about the type of guys he wants to bring in as well.

A smart guy should bring that up in the interview. I want to bring this and I want the power to fire anyone not named Bob Nicholson. I'd also bring up if you want to keep MacT and Lowe or whoever working for Katz, that they are never allowed to be at any meeting. If he wants to pay those guys to sit in the owner's box fine, but they aren't coming to meetings and I don't want them calling me with advice.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I kinda wonder what's going to happen with Keith Gretzky. He's already making some moves. Is he actually auditioning for the role? Or will they hire a new GM and promote Keith to POHO? Or will he just stay on as Assistant Manager? I don't know why but my gut feeling tells me that is unlikely.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I kinda wonder what's going to happen with Keith Gretzky. He's already making some moves. Is he actually auditioning for the role? Or will they hire a new GM and promote Keith to POHO? Or will he just stay on as Assistant Manager? I don't know why but my gut feeling tells me that is unlikely.
The job is more attractive if some of the trash is already moved out.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The job is more attractive if some of the trash is already moved out.

Of course, KG was going to make moves regardless, but I still wonder what his role will be with this team going forward. Does he just settle back in in the AGM role? I feel like he's probably the most competent guy among the Oilers management group, which I realize isn't saying much, but in contrast to those guys he seems to have a good hockey mind and ability to assess talent on a level comparable with some of the better teams in the league. I wouldn't mind keeping him around.

CM4

Oct 31, 2013
Edmonton
Of course, KG was going to make moves regardless, but I still wonder what his role will be with this team going forward. Does he just settle back in in the AGM role? I feel like he's probably the most competent guy among the Oilers management group, which I realize isn't saying much, but in contrast to those guys he seems to have a good hockey mind and ability to assess talent on a level comparable with some of the better teams in the league. I wouldn't mind keeping him around.

Should be shown the door with the rest of the management. Did you forget that he was Peters 2nd in command and went along with his moves. Two nothing trades don't change anything, you need higher expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad