Top GM Replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
@McCupofOil
I honestly could see Hextall being hired and him bringing Knoblauch over.

I hope not, the man sits on his hands too much, and I swear nearly all his deals where to trade for picks.
That team hasn't drafted all that well in the last 5 years either.
I'm not a fan of Hextall myself :)
Bleh...

Last edited:

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
We need a bit of sitting right now and good drafting. Less chance of bad trades lol

The flyers haven't drafted well in the last 5 years tho .....

edit: ok, maybe its to early to make that statement. On second thought, not a thoughtful
response. To early to tell.

Last edited:

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
I would rather have someone who can identify talent playing lower in the lines, farm, college, Russia, etc
and be active in trying to acquire players like that on the cheap (much like pc got Drake, benning, and Kosko for nothing)

Someone who can identify and continue to improve the amateur (and grow the pro) side of the oilers,
do and have the freedom to audit the scouts, and other management in the organization.

That's why I feel strongly about Kelly (of the current choices) who was involved in finding guys that could be helpful not only on the bottom 6, but also on the top 6 in today's nhl.
He has recent success on his side. He's worked as a coach/gm on the amateur side so I'm sure he has knowledge there too.

Its hard to know what anyone is with other facets of the management so in bob we must trust for the rest.
I'm also not a fan of X-players who try to work in management directly from the nhl.... not as a gm anyways.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Farabee/Frost/Marody/Rafcliffe havn't proven anything yet at the nhl level.

Provorov, Patrick (duh pick), Konecny + Hart yes.
Okay and in the last 5 years we have...Nurse, McDavid and Draisaitl. And no shit the other guys haven't proven anything yet they were drafted recently. They were good picks though

Reactions: CanadianSniper

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Okay and in the last 5 years we have...Nurse, McDavid and Draisaitl. And no **** the other guys haven't proven anything yet they were drafted recently. They were good picks though

Jones, Bear, Jesse Yama, and Bouchard have all shown that they can play at the high level ahl and some sparks at the nhl level, but anyways I'm not going to argue that the drafting and development are garbage. Its one of my biggest complaints (along with rushing prospects)

I just don't see Hextall doing anything other than sit on his hands and let Keith run the amateur side because I can't see him having higher experience or knowledge of how to improve that side of hockey, and his trade history suggests that he doesn't know how to evaluate talent. He usually traded players for picks the whole time he was there.

He just plays way to safe, and never helped to move the dial for the Flyers. That's why he got booted.

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Jones, Bear, Jesse Yama, and Bouchard have all shown that they can play at the high level ahl and some sparks at the nhl level, but anyways I'm not going to argue that the drafting and development are garbage. Its one of my biggest complaints (along with rushing prospects)

I just don't see Hextall doing anything other than sit on his hands and let Keith run the amateur side because I can't see him having higher experience or knowledge of how to improve that side of hockey, and his trade history suggests that he doesn't know how to evaluate talent. He usually traded players for picks the whole time he was there.

He just plays way to safe, and never helped to move the dial for the Flyers. That's why he got booted.
I'd take too safe over losing every trade any day.

Most of Philly's guys are being developed properly so they haven't seen any NHL time yet.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
I'd take too safe over losing every trade any day

Well, no question PC was ultra terrible at it, but that doesn't mean over-reacting to someone who is safe and never does anything.

We can't count on free agency to add players reliably to so we need to have someone who can find players and continue to improve how we find/draft/and develop guys.
Buy low or find some talented college kids, Russians ... whatever it is. Gatta be creative and push all the buttons.

We don't need guys trading 3rd's/young players for nearly 30 year old barely bottom pairing guys.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
I know it was dumb to think, but I was really hoping we'd have a gm in place by the trade deadline. Just to give them a chance to get comfortable and open some communication pathways for the summer with other gms.

Apparently they're yet to even interview anyone though .. so I guess they aren't currently looking?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I know it was dumb to think, but I was really hoping we'd have a gm in place by the trade deadline. Just to give them a chance to get comfortable and open some communication pathways for the summer with other gms.

Apparently they're yet to even interview anyone though .. so I guess they aren't currently looking?
A lot of guys they probably want to look like are currently working for other teams as assistants. Getting a new gm won't happen till the season is over.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
A lot of guys they probably want to look like are currently working for other teams as assistants. Getting a new gm won't happen till the season is over.

Yeah, I guess there aren't many mid season GM replacements happening, so I'm unsure of how the hiring process really works.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, I guess there aren't many mid season GM replacements happening, so I'm unsure of how the hiring process really works.
Say someone wanted to interview a current assistant GM for the GM job. Their current team has to give permission for them to even talk to them.

Alot of assistants don't feel comfortable leaving because it's awkward and they want to finish out the season and see if what they had a hand in goes the distance that year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Say someone wanted to interview a current assistant GM for the GM job. Their current team has to give permission for them to even talk to them.

Alot of assistants don't feel comfortable leaving because it's awkward and they want to finish out the season and see if what they had a hand in goes the distance that year.

Even if a GM was to give permission (which would likely never happen) the optics around an AGM leaving his team in mid season would be absolutely brutal. That IMO would impact his credibility as a GM before he even started.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Even if a GM was to give permission (which would likely never happen) the optics around an AGM leaving his team in mid season would be absolutely brutal. That IMO would impact his credibility as a GM before he even started.

What?

Teams are given in-season permission to interview executives from other teams all of the time. This year alone, Philadelphia interviewed a division rivals assistant GM before hiring another division rivals senior adviser.

There's no optics issue. People understand that there are only 31 GM jobs in the league and that's not an opportunity a candidate can just brush off most of the time.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
What assets will Toronto give up for McDavid? Oilers would ask for Marner/Matthews plus a top 4 defenseman and probably something more. Then the Leafs would have worse defense and be less of a contender.
Take your pick,McDavid would be worth it.
Mathew and Gardner.Eg.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think you can absolutely count on there not being a GM in place until after May. If there is then its a fail.
Absolutely. Booby Nicks has to make it it appear as if he is leaving no stone unturned before he goes with the only choice he’s always wanted and hires MacT.:D

Reactions: guymez

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I hope not, the man sits on his hands too much, and I swear nearly all his deals where to trade for picks.
That team hasn't drafted all that well in the last 5 years either.
I'm not a fan of Hextall myself :)
Bleh...

What?
Their drafting is top 3 in the NHL. Last 2 years they were voted #1 prospect pool by several reputable sites.

Ghost, Konecny,Provy, Hart, Lindblom, Frost, Sanheim, Myers, Patrick, etc, etc

Hextalls drafting has been impeccable

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
What?

Teams are given in-season permission to interview executives from other teams all of the time. This year alone, Philadelphia interviewed a division rivals assistant GM before hiring another division rivals senior adviser.

There's no optics issue. People understand that there are only 31 GM jobs in the league and that's not an opportunity a candidate can just brush off most of the time.

Fair enough.
GM's are almost always fired at the end of the season so hiring mid seasons isnt very common.
I cant think of 1 mid season hiring that involved taking an Assistant GM from another team.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I think you can absolutely count on there not being a GM in place until after May. If there is then its a fail.
Of all the things Nicholson said during his press conference, one of the few that was actually believable was when he said he wasn’t in any hurry to hire the new GM. You can debate what his exact reason is but the one certainty here is that the guy won’t be hired before the trade deadline. You’re right that if he did it would be a fail. He needs to wait until the season ends to talk to as many candidates as possible. Even if he has his guy in mind already. If for no other reason than to get the optics right.

Reactions: guymez
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->