Top Forwards by WAR 2007-2020

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I'm not sure you do recall correctly.

Either way, it's not like matthews is that much better than eichel. If eichel got to play with marner and had JT to play against other teams top lines, jack would have more points.

There are post histories. Matthews was second in the league in goals as a rookie. Playing half the season with Hyman and brown. Your anti leaf (Matthews?) bias has been on display for a while now. Not sure when it started. But glad to see it’s keeping up. Even with no hockey.

Reactions: Dustin

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
There are post histories. Matthews was second in the league in goals as a rookie. Playing half the season with Hyman and brown. Your anti leaf (Matthews?) bias has been on display for a while now. Not sure when it started. But glad to see it’s keeping up. Even with no hockey.

Yes, there are post histories. That's why it's funny to see you "recall" instead of actually finding proof.

Matthews greatest claim to fame is coming 2nd in goals as a rookie. He hasn't been closer since then and his point totals are not even close to the premier producers.

Clearly you are not paying attention to my posts as well as you seem to think.

The rest of your message doesnt even deserve a reply.

It is interesting how a simple "surprised to see Matthews so high" post managed to trigger you so much. Might want to look into that.

Last edited:
Reactions: probablywrongbut

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Actually somewhat shocking Marchand sneaks into the top 15 with his first six seasons limited by Claude Julien's refusal to play him on the powerplay.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I'm not sure you do recall correctly.

Either way, it's not like matthews is that much better than eichel. If eichel got to play with marner and had JT to play against other teams top lines, jack would have more points.
If if if

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
This must've been what KD was looking at when he gave Matthews that albatross of a contract.

3rd highest cap hit with the shortest term of anyone in the top 26 highest paid.

McDavid (by far the best player in the world) will still have 2 more years on his current contract when Matthews is already on his next contract.

TeeTee

Apr 20, 2016
Ovie's Passing rating lol

Explain this to me? What does this number mean? He is WAY lower than everybody else in this category. For somebody that has so many assists, and called an elite passer by some (illpucks), it doesnt add up to me.

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Explain this to me? What does this number mean? He is WAY lower than everybody else in this category. For somebody that has so many assists, and called an elite passer by some (illpucks), it doesnt add up to me.

For a few years now, Ovechkin has got less assists than you'd expect of someone with his share of ice time at even strength and on the power play. He also doesnt have a good effect on the quantity and quality of his linemates scoring attempts. Of course, this is just the price you pay when you shoot and score as much as he does. He has a cumulative Shooting Goals 78% higher than next best Stamkos!

To be fair, in his peak seasons he managed to blend in high playmaking marks. In 09/10 he had 18 "Passing Goals".

Reactions: TeeTee and wetcoast

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
On first blush I'm surprised to not see Eichel on this list but I haven't looked at the data very closely either.

Pac is also very surprising as I wouldn't have him in my list of top 10 forwards in overall value this year but it is 9th.

Yeah my initial reaction was the same on both counts.

I don't watch enough Golden Knights games to know how much Patches and Mark Stone play together, but that could be a factor. Stone is ranked 14th

The90

Feb 27, 2017
This must've been what KD was looking at when he gave Matthews that albatross of a contract.

3rd highest cap hit with the shortest term of anyone in the top 26 highest paid.

McDavid (by far the best player in the world) will still have 2 more years on his current contract when Matthews is already on his next contract.
Show us on this doll where he hurt you. By those stats ^ doesn’t look like such an albatross of a contract. Not all of us deal with a beneficial state tax where we get to pay our players 85% and it’s comparable to 100% in other markets

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On

Thanks for the random Matthews rant. We don't need to make the thread about him though.

Reactions: Dustin

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
I'm just gonna be over here reminiscing about when we turned a 171st and 210th draft pick into the 15th and 19th most valuable players of the past 13 years.
Particularly impressive considering that range includes twilight and retirement (from NHL) years. Almost hate to bring it up, but the bottom 5 and 7 of worst 11 WARs this year are Wings.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Obsessed. It’s hilarious. Still pretending to be a leaf fan?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Show us on this doll where he hurt you. By those stats ^ doesn’t look like such an albatross of a contract. Not all of us deal with a beneficial state tax where we get to pay our players 85% and it’s comparable to 100% in other markets

This poster pretends to be a leaf fan. There were about 10 or so on the board. Got whittled down to about 3 or so?

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Yes, there are post histories. That's why it's funny to see you "recall" instead of actually finding proof.

Matthews greatest claim to fame is coming 2nd in goals as a rookie. He hasn't been closer since then and his point totals are not even close to the premier producers.

Clearly you are not paying attention to my posts as well as you seem to think.

The rest of your message doesnt even deserve a reply.

It is interesting how a simple "surprised to see Matthews so high" post managed to trigger you so much. Might want to look into that.
You do realize he’s closer to winning the scoring race in the current year? He lost by 4 goals his rookie year and is currently 1 goal back. Do you follow the league at all or just grasp at whatever you can to try and downplay him.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Having been fortunate enough to watch Datsyuk's career from start to finish, I don't really need anymore proof to know that I witnessed a guy who controlled the puck and ice like very few... But it's certainly gratifying when more and more evidence pops up letting me know that my eyes and bias didn't deceive me.

Great work as always OP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad