Status
Not open for further replies.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
c-carp said:
Awesome for a brief period, but for me he just didnt maintain it long enough. When he left the devils and went to Detriot you didnt hear much from him. I know that he had back problems. I put him much like Gaetz but for different reasons great while they were here but not here long enough. Even though Troy was around longer then Gaetz.

Yeah he hurt his back with the Wings and only played something like 26 games (to lazy to look it up) Also worth noting was when the Wings signed Crowder it cost them Randy McKay as compensation. That really sucked for us Wings fans.

What happened to my wings, they used to have some of the toughest SOB's in the NHL. Now thanks to Ken Holland they have a bunch of powder puff girls.

acr*

Well, I don't know if he's top 5, but he definitely deserves to be named in this topic:Lyndon Byers

Juicer

Mar 14, 2004
No Brashear? Look at is his record against Domi who is on lots of these lists?

Semenko is a no-brainer on the list.

Twist was not mentioned enough.

Chris Simon should get some votes, he was a monster for a while.

Probert still wins.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Juicer said:

Probert still wins.

Following listening to the esteemed Nick Kypreos speak on Sportsnet, I must ask the question, did all 5 of the tough guys listed above beat on his head with blunt instruments at the same time?
Seriously?h

Tucker316*

Personally I've always liked Todd Ewen. imo, he's very under-rated.

tml_4ever

It's Chaotic
May 24, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Fighter said:
Well, homer pick since is hands down my fav enforcer ever but Gino Odjick deserve a mention: in the first years in the league when he wasn't injured he was a questionable top 5 if not top 3 in a VERY tough league.

You know, i never really knew the real story of what happened to Odjick....I think it was some near-death experience or something that caused him to lose his mean-streak :dunno:

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
JWI19 said:
Yeah he hurt his back with the Wings and only played something like 26 games (to lazy to look it up) Also worth noting was when the Wings signed Crowder it cost them Randy McKay as compensation. That really sucked for us Wings fans.

What happened to my wings, they used to have some of the toughest SOB's in the NHL. Now thanks to Ken Holland they have a bunch of powder puff girls.
Yeah they sure have slipped toughness wise from the days of the Bruise Bros. Do they have anyone in their system that would qualify as a heavyweight.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Juicer said:

Probert still wins.

In regards to Brash If I was including curret guys he would have made it.

Simon is a very good call, pre shulder injury he was the best lefty in the game and would have gottn some votes for champ.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
c-carp said:
In regards to Brash If I was including curret guys he would have made it.

Simon is a very good call, pre shulder injury he was the best lefty in the game and would have gottn some votes for champ.

Man, if they ever take fighting out of hockey, you are gonna need some serious meds. Thanks for some fantastic posts that really take me back to some great forgotten tilts and their combatants.

Mike Modano and his giant expensive dogfood-eating poodle Anastasia Priscilla Poochie-Girl tremble at the sound of your name :bow:

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
c-carp said:
Yeah they sure have slipped toughness wise from the days of the Bruise Bros. Do they have anyone in their system that would qualify as a heavyweight.

Nope, they had to sign Vandermerr to protect the guys in the AHL, but really he'll never see the ice in the NHL. And i doubt Holland will trade for a tough guy either.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
3 more names I would add:

Dale Hunter - #2 all-time in PIM. How did everyone forget about him?

Tim Hunter - I don't think his nose got like that from picking it.

Dave Manson - He was a little bit of a lunatic when he first broke into the league.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
MikeC44 said:

Dave Manson - He was a little bit of a lunatic when he first broke into the league.

Dale Hunter was more dirty than an enforcer. Manson was just an idiot, but probably did cause some legitimate fear.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Bring Back Bucky said:
Man, if they ever take fighting out of hockey, you are gonna need some serious meds. Thanks for some fantastic posts that really take me back to some great forgotten tilts and their combatants.

Mike Modano and his giant expensive dogfood-eating poodle Anastasia Priscilla Poochie-Girl tremble at the sound of your name :bow:
If they ever take fighting out of the game I will need a rrom with padded walls.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Bring Back Bucky said:
Dale Hunter was more dirty than an enforcer. Manson was just an idiot, but probably did cause some legitimate fear.
I dont know I think the Dave Manson from the Hawk days definatly belongs here.

hoochdini

Nov 20, 2004
What about Kevin McClelland? I always thought he was more exciting to watch with the gloves off than McSorley, because McSorley spent too much time hammering on the back of guys' helmets. McClelland used his left hand and threw it as if he was trying to knock you out with every punch, and he could take 'em well, too.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
c-carp said:
I dont know I think the Dave Manson from the Hawk days definatly belongs here.

I agree, even when Manson came to the Leafs, he was a terrifying man. His stiff arms were great to watch, and the fact that he could barely speak made it all that much scarier. He was like Lurch from the Addams Family.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
2 guy's that were enforcers but could also play were Gerard Gallant and Terry O'Reilly.O' reilly once challenged an opposing teams entire bench but didn't
get any takers. Does anyone remember that?

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
John Flyers Fan said:
Probert was obviously a far better player, but I don't recall dave Brown ever losing a fight as a member of the Flyers, I didn't see him play too many of his games in Edmonton.
Totally devistated Grimsim in one of the most one sided fights ever. Appox 20 unanswered shots. Got tired of throwing the left so he switched to the right. Broke big Stus orbital bone. Grimmer was traded out of Calgary shortly after.
Next day in the Calgary sun newspaper Elston had a comic of Calgarys coach trying to teach Mike Tyson how to skate.

Not having Semenko in the top 5 is absolutely brutal.

Last edited:

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
MikeC44 said:

Semenko helped enlarge Hunts nose. But full marks to Tim he never backed down.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
hoochdini said:
What about Kevin McClelland? I always thought he was more exciting to watch with the gloves off than McSorley, because McSorley spent too much time hammering on the back of guys' helmets. McClelland used his left hand and threw it as if he was trying to knock you out with every punch, and he could take 'em well, too.
As an Oiler fan it pains me to say this but I was at a game where Jim Peplinski took McClelleand apart. I was shocked i never knew Pepper could fight, I guess neither did McCl.
Has anybody mentioned Stan Jonathan he was fierce.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
GregStack said:
I agree, even when Manson came to the Leafs, he was a terrifying man. His stiff arms were great to watch, and the fact that he could barely speak made it all that much scarier. He was like Lurch from the Addams Family.
Manson got his gravally voice from a punch in the throat from Sergio Momesso.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->