Top Draft Re-Entries (1991's & 1992's) from the OHL

JawandaPuck

Lost Art of Dynasty
Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver BC
jawandapuck.blogspot.com
Nice writeups. I like the chances of these four to crack an NHL lineup in some capacity one day:

1. Andy Andreoff - Oshawa Generals
Andreoff really exploded this year, taking on a huge offensive role on a young Generals team. Others definitely took notice. Andreoff was named the East's most underrated player and the third most improved player in this year's Coaches Poll. He's a very complete player who can play any forward position (but had most of his success down the middle this year). He's 6'1, 205lbs and plays like it. He drives hard to the net with and without the puck and is a load to handle down low and in the corners. He's got a very heavy shot, but also has soft hands and in many situations will look to pass before shooting. Andreoff is also a very physical player who's involved without the puck and plays both ends...

4. Josh Shalla - Saginaw Spirit
After scoring 32 goals last year in his inaugural draft year (late birth date 1991), many expected Shalla to be a mid round pick in 2010. But he went through the draft unselected, probably due to concerns over his skating and play without the puck. This year, he came back with conviction and scored 47 goals (5th in the OHL). I'm really not sure he's done a lot to improve the areas that kept him undrafted last year...

6. Taylor Carnevale - Windsor Spitfires
I had Carnevale at number 5 on this list last year and I was actually pretty surprised nobody picked him up. He's definitely a finesse player, but he's pretty well rounded. He has good offensive instincts and finds himself in good scoring positions, but he's also a good set up man and can work the cycle behind the net...

7. Andrew Shaw - Owen Sound Attack
A fan favourite in Niagara, Shaw was a quality checking line player who could do pretty much everything. While he showed glimpses of breaking out offensively, he could never really get over the hump. The trade to Owen Sound really allowed him to blossom...

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Great stuff as always, Brock. Providing me with ample ammunition for the keeper. A bit bummed to not see Judson on the list after appearing so high last year, but the concussion problem in the later part of the season may prevent him from getting the much deserved attention he could have garnered with a strong showing down the stretch. Obviously a big fan of Josh Shalla and if you search youtube carefully enough, you can watch just about all 55 of his OHL goals this season and the cliff notes are they look just about all the same. Shalla gets lost in coverage, finds a soft spot in the slot, buries a wrist shot before the goaltender even picks up the pass. Either that or finding a rebound around the goal mouth. Tons of screens on the goaltender with that big body. Not a gifted skater by any stretch of the imagination, but should be adequate with any degree of consistent offseason work. It does trouble me a bit that he didn't get more done in that regard this past offseason, but I still think he plays in the AHL next season regardless. I know St. Louis brought him to Traverse City and he performed fairly well there but didn't get out with a contract. I would look for St. Louis in the later rounds to perhaps take a shot.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
great stuff as usual Brock, love the read.

kind of surprised that Houser didnt get drafted last year, but maybe he gets the chance this June.

He really should warrant a pick at some point. I think he's deserved it.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Shaw has really impressed me this season and is very similar to Matt Cooke (though less of a bonehead) in the way he competes, contributes at both ends of the ice, and is absolutely fearless.

But is he a guy that has the upside or ability to do that at the pro level (or even NHL)? Although style wise he's similar to Cooke, Cooke also put up huge offensive numbers in junior (whereas Shaws are good but modest). Kind of want another opinion, because until seeing this list I hadnt even thought of Shaw as a possible NHL prospect, even though I live his game most nights.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Shaw has really impressed me this season and is very similar to Matt Cooke (though less of a bonehead) in the way he competes, contributes at both ends of the ice, and is absolutely fearless.

But is he a guy that has the upside or ability to do that at the pro level (or even NHL)? Although style wise he's similar to Cooke, Cooke also put up huge offensive numbers in junior (whereas Shaws are good but modest). Kind of want another opinion, because until seeing this list I hadnt even thought of Shaw as a possible NHL prospect, even though I live his game most nights.

I don't think there's any reason to suggest he couldn't be that type of energy role player at the NHL level.

Guys like Steve Begin, Greg Campbell, Darroll Powe, Matt Hendricks, Maxim Lapierre, etc didn't put up huge numbers in the CHL/NCAA and have become valuable energy/checking players.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
Like to see Petgrave that high, loved his game since I watched him in minor midget. Always wondered why he flew under the radar. Good read all in all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->