Top DMan Prospects not in NHL

MaximAfinogenov

Dec 4, 2006

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Who would you consider to be the top 10 defenseman not currently in the NHL????

My list:
1. Erik Johnson - St. Louis
2. Jack Johnson - Los Angeles
3. Marc Staal - New York Rangers
4. Luc Bourdon - Vancouver
5.Cam Barker - Chicago
6. Brian Lee - Ottawa
7. Ty Wishart - San Jose
8. David Fischer - Montreal
9. Ryan Parent - Nashville
10. Niklas Grossman - Dallas

Please give feedback, add your own list, let me know anyone major that I left out or someone that should be taken off and replaced. I am not including players that have not been draft however.

THANKS!:handclap:

Well one thing is sure, right now there's no way that 9 of 10 TOP defenseman not in NHL are 18-19 year old North American prospects.;)

TOP 10 defenseman not in NHL mus look like that
1.K.Jonsson
2.M.Johansson
3.E.Johnson
4.J.Niskala
5.K.Koltsov
6.D.Yushkevich
7.D.Bykov
8.A.Stralman
9.J.Johnson
10.D.Tarnstrom

If Alex Edler still counts he must be on that list.

I don't pretend to be the most objective, but the main idea is clear. That list must consist mainly of European TOP defenders.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
right now only from a Montreal standpoint Emelin is a far better defensmen then Fisher, i'm not talking about potential, just right now. BTW how is Franson's defensive game and shot, he seems to have the physique and offensive abilities going his way but i only saw him like once and didn't knew him at the time so i didn't try to notice him, thanks

It doesn't seem like the original poster's intentions was RIGHT NOW, though.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't pretend to be the most objective, but the main idea is clear. That list must consist mainly of European TOP defenders.

And are all of those defensemen considered prospects?

The main idea was clearly to talk about the top prospects not yet in the NHL. This is "Hockey's Future" and it's also the "Prospects" board. Not to mention that the thread title says "Top DMan Prospects not in NHL" (though maybe someone changed that to avoid further confusion? meh)

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
And are all of those defensemen considered prospects?

The main idea was clearly to talk about the top prospects not yet in the NHL. This is "Hockey's Future" and it's also the "Prospects" board. Not to mention that the thread title says "Top DMan Prospects not in NHL" (though maybe someone changed that to avoid further confusion? meh)

Even if we consider only prospects. 9 of TOP 10 defensive prospects are NA juniors?:biglaugh:

My rank, If we speak ONLY of prospects and RIGHT now:
1.E.Johnson
2.J.Niskala
3.K.Koltsov(though he's overrated)
4.A.Stralman
5.A.Edler
6.C.Barker
7.J.Johnson
8.N.Grossman
9.M.Staal
10.J.Kindl

Randall Graves*

No surprise to see many of you snubbing Mark Mitera again, on this board it seems WJC's and offensive numbers are the top two criterias in grading players. This kid is an outstanding defensive defensemen, watch a Wolverines game..in his last 10 games he's been on the ice for ONE even strength goal.

Randall Graves*

The main reason many WJC players are here are because of exposure RallyKiller. Not out fault that we dont get to see much on certain players.
Indeed except people put too much stock in it sometimes, before the WJC there weren't many people that thought Pat Kane should be the top pick, or even endorsing him as a top 3 atleast here..then after he's the hot prospect. Meanwhile Sam Gagner and the opposite is true.

Nashville108*

franson and parent are both good. dont know about top quality but i cant wait to get them here.

Bam Beet*

wow, both David Fisher and especially Alexei Emelin are better prospects then Nigel ''I have to change the league i play to do something...'' Williams

He wasn't getting playing time in college so he want to Major Junior. Whats the big deal? Stop crying about your teams prospects not being on a list.

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
Indeed except people put too much stock in it sometimes, before the WJC there weren't many people that thought Pat Kane should be the top pick, or even endorsing him as a top 3 atleast here..then after he's the hot prospect. Meanwhile Sam Gagner and the opposite is true.

Kane was a hot prospect before, it's not like Cherepanov where he jumped from mid-late first round to top 3. Kane was already no worse than top 10. Moving up 5 or so picks because of a tournament against your peers isn't a stretch at all.

Towelie*

Bourdon, Koltsov, and Edler are all top dman prospects outside the NHL. There is however a large discrepancy from potential and how they are playing right now. For example, right now, Edler is a better defensemen then Bourdon - can't speak for Koltsov as I haven't seen him.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
He wasn't getting playing time in college so he want to Major Junior. Whats the big deal? Stop crying about your teams prospects not being on a list.

he wasn't earning any icetime either. Emelin was the top defensmen in the last WJC last year and Fisher was one of the best USA D's back in training camp( evreyone knows the story why he didn't go). There's no big deal it's just that the list ain't right, that's all

CronoX

Mar 15, 2006
Hockeytown, MI
Any updates on Jakub Kindl? I haven't heard much about him since the Wings drafted him in the mid1st round and raved how they thought he'd go higher. I heard he still needs to get stronger, but not much else.

Randall Graves*

Kane was a hot prospect before, it's not like Cherepanov where he jumped from mid-late first round to top 3. Kane was already no worse than top 10. Moving up 5 or so picks because of a tournament against your peers isn't a stretch at all.
I mostly saw Kane below 5 on alot of the lists here from what I can recall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->