Top Defensive Forward Prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnbuckle*

Alex Steen lacks the strength/grit/intensity at this point to be a top notch defensive center IMO. I like his offensive skills though...he makes some sick behind the back passes and dekes.

Maxim Lapierre has the intangibles to be a super pest someday.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
turnbuckle said:
Alex Steen lacks the strength/grit/intensity at this point to be a top notch defensive center IMO. I like his offensive skills though...he makes some sick behind the back passes and dekes.

Maxim Lapierre has the intangibles to be a super pest someday.

Steens quality is that he's good both ways, and not dominant on either side. He's very reliable in both aspects, which is what gives him value. He is not a dominant defensive forward, however if Quinn chooses to play him in a defensive line role, he'd likely develop into a Selke contending type player. Maybe never a winner, but he'd have to be considered one of the better young defensive forwards around.

He's a guy who you have no fears screwing up in his own end compared to others.

AgentNaslund*

Mike Richards
Ryan Kesler
Milan Michalek

these 3 prospects were strongly scouted as solid 2 way players.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
theredmile said:
Jeremy Colliton of the Islanders

I'd be surprised if Colliton even turns out to be the best defensive forward on his team. Which is no way meant as disrespect as I really like his game. But with Nokie, O'Marra, Bergenheim and Comeau, the competition will be tough.

This is the one and only category where it's good to be an Isles fan when it comes to prospects.

Fan-of-#9

Dec 27, 2003
Southern Ontario
Visit site
As for the best in the Sabres system:

Derek Roy, C
Daniel Paille, LW
Drew Stafford, RW
Clarke MacArthur, LW
Paul Gaustad, C
Chris Thorburn, C

All these guys are solid defensively, it seems that Regier has had enough disappointments with strictly offensive players in the draft, and over the past few years has taken a safer approach with these type of prospects. My favourites are obviously Roy and Paille (Draper and Maltby)...if all goes well :D

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
The Stars might have a trio whom might form the Stars 4th line at times of injuries/suspensions..

Jaroslav Svoboda - Yared Hagos - Mattias Tjärnqvist

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I think we are going a little bit of the boards there. Wasnt the question about the top defensive forward with SELKE's potential???

I doubt there's about 30+ young players under 22 with that kind of potential.

I'd like to know which 5 from all the ones that have been mentionned above would be the top 5 picks there. anyone?

Fan-of-#9

Dec 27, 2003
Southern Ontario
Visit site
Anksun said:
I think we are going a little bit of the boards there. Wasnt the question about the top defensive forward with SELKE's potential???

I doubt there's about 30+ young players under 22 with that kind of potential.

I'd like to know which 5 from all the ones that have been mentionned above would be the top 5 picks there. anyone?

Derek Roy has that potential. Although I think Paille will be one helluva 2 way player aswell.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
PanthersRule said:
Stephen Weiss, Rostislav Olesz?
biglaugh.gif
dude .. you and your olesz loving ..., Olesz is solid, but i dont think the selke is gonna be in weiss's cabinet any time soon.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
From the Penguins i think only Maxime Talbot has that kind of potential..... not sure he will ever get the 50 points required to be in Selke contension though.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Ryan Callahan seems like a solid two way player, and hes a leader. I really like him. He was on the USA junior team last season too and played well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad