Top defenseman for each WJC team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

Fedz said:
He isn't even the top dman on the russian selects team that is playing the OHL, QMJHL, and WHL. I don't see how he could be the best on their WJC team.

:dunno:
I think the fact that he's on the Russian select team period is enough reason to think he may not even be on the Russian WJC team.

Rangerfan*

Epsilon said:
Here's an obvious one:

Andrej Meszaros - Slovakia
:lol :shakehead
you have never seen Valabik play have you? :shakehead
I think he is much better thn Meszaros

denphis

does any one know if tesliuk is playing for russia? word on the street is this kid will be something to watch

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Rabid Ranger said:
The U.S. will actually ice a more talented team (offensively) this year. Add that dynamic to a mobile defensive corp and a returning Al Montoya and things look good. My only question is on the blueline, and whether some of the key cogs (like Stuart) gone from last year can be replaced. That's where Canada has a clear advantage IMO.
The fact is that Canada holds quite a large domination at every position this year with the possible exception of Goaltending....Canada's D is just dominant over the other countries D and the fwds include an incredible group as well.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
The fact is that Canada holds quite a large domination at every position this year with the possible exception of Goaltending....Canada's D is just dominant over the other countries D and the fwds include an incredible group as well.

Whatever you say............

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
phaneuf_fan_3 said:

While I do agree that Canada has the strongest forward group, and has a defensive corps which SHOULD be dominant, you still have to play the games. The US is bringing back a good group of forwards and very strong goaltending. Other than Suter, I'm not very keen on their defence, but we'll see how big of a role Johnson plays on the team. There is a lot up in the air. The Russians will be tough with their strong offensive forwards as well.

This is a competitive field, I think, this time around. So we can say Canada this, US that, but honestly, before the teams are even named, its all sort of moot.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Something tells me Niclas Grossman will be a key on Swedens defence. Comparisions are already made to Mattias Norström, and Sweden needs a mean and heavy man to clear the crease. Honorble mentions to Fransson, but Grossman will be as important, maybe even more important. :)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Matt MacInnis said:
While I do agree that Canada has the strongest forward group, and has a defensive corps which SHOULD be dominant, you still have to play the games. The US is bringing back a good group of forwards and very strong goaltending. Other than Suter, I'm not very keen on their defence, but we'll see how big of a role Johnson plays on the team. There is a lot up in the air. The Russians will be tough with their strong offensive forwards as well.

This is a competitive field, I think, this time around. So we can say Canada this, US that, but honestly, before the teams are even named, its all sort of moot.

Fair points, although other than Suter, Hunwick, and Likens, the defense is up in there so it's kind of hard to critique the unit as a whole at this point. IMO, the defense will be more mobile and offensive oriented this year, we'll see if that's the case.

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
Rabid Ranger said:
Whatever you say............
Have you even looked at Canada's potential roster this year? 13 eligible returnees, 5 of which are defensemen and 8 forwards (if you count Burns as a dman)...

Plus, add in Bergeron from the NHL...

So, we have the following forwards as possibilities to make it:

Returnees: Crosby, Carter, Richards, Getzlaf, Stewart, Dawes, Horton (if he's released) and Dixon
New Additions? Bergeron, Fehr, Stone, Bernier, Perry, Bourret, Chipchura, Brule, Fraser, Picard, Boyd, McGrath, McArthur, Bolland, Ladd, Zajac

That's just insane... you could make a kickass team and still have enough left over to make another very competitive team on top of that... Now, I know the US will have a decent roster of forwards this year, but you can't tell me that they'd compete with a lineup like:

Bergeron Crosby Horton
Stewart Richards Dawes
Getzlaf Carter Perry
McGrath Stone Fehr

Just as an example... Damn... That still leaves leftover a couple of lines like:

Picard Brule Bernier
Ladd Bourret Zajac
Dixon Chipchura Bolland
Fraser McArthur Boyd

That's not a dominant lineup, but that's still solid enough to probably be a top 3 or 4 team in the WJC... But that first lineup is insanely good up front...

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
tgallant said:
Have you even looked at Canada's potential roster this year? 13 eligible returnees, 5 of which are defensemen and 8 forwards (if you count Burns as a dman)...

Plus, add in Bergeron from the NHL...

So, we have the following forwards as possibilities to make it:

Returnees: Crosby, Carter, Richards, Getzlaf, Stewart, Dawes, Horton (if he's released) and Dixon
New Additions? Bergeron, Fehr, Stone, Bernier, Perry, Bourret, Chipchura, Brule, Fraser, Picard, Boyd, McGrath, McArthur, Bolland, Ladd, Zajac

That's just insane... you could make a kickass team and still have enough left over to make another very competitive team on top of that... Now, I know the US will have a decent roster of forwards this year, but you can't tell me that they'd compete with a lineup like:

Bergeron Crosby Horton
Stewart Richards Dawes
Getzlaf Carter Perry
McGrath Stone Fehr

Just as an example... Damn... That still leaves leftover a couple of lines like:

Picard Brule Bernier
Ladd Bourret Zajac
Dixon Chipchura Bolland
Fraser McArthur Boyd

That's not a dominant lineup, but that's still solid enough to probably be a top 3 or 4 team in the WJC... But that first lineup is insanely good up front...

I never said Canada's team wasn't the favorite or didn't have a dominant roster (on paper). I just chuckle at all of the posts that infer that Canada's roster is untouchable and no one else has a chance. We'll see. Also, I'd like everyone to put a moratorium on posts about Canada's depth. We get it, Canada has more depth than anyone. Since you can only ice one team, that point is moot, especially since Canada's best isn't THAT much better than say the U.S. or Russia's best.

Papadice

Apr 29, 2003
Moncton, NB, Canada
www.myfhl.net
Rabid Ranger said:
I never said Canada's team wasn't the favorite or didn't have a dominant roster (on paper). I just chuckle at all of the posts that infer that Canada's roster is untouchable and no one else has a chance. We'll see. Also, I'd like everyone to put a moratorium on posts about Canada's depth. We get it, Canada has more depth than anyone. Since you can only ice one team, that point is moot, especially since Canada's best isn't THAT much better than say the U.S. or Russia's best.
Sorry, I was under the impression that your comment of "Whatever....." was in reference to Canada having a better lineup of forwards than the US... That's why I was defending our forwards... I know very well that no matter what the team is on paper, it can be an entirely different outcome when the game is played... However, I do disagree with your last comment... I think this year, more than any other I ever remember, on paper Canada's group of forwards and defensemen are far superior to any other club... Goaltending could be a question but I'm hoping Nastiuk gets the spot and steps up... I'm not saying Canada will trounce everyone... I'm just saying that "on paper" I think that Canada's best this year IS that much better than the US or Russia...

Rangerfan*

tgallant said:
Sorry, I was under the impression that your comment of "Whatever....." was in reference to Canada having a better lineup of forwards than the US... That's why I was defending our forwards... I know very well that no matter what the team is on paper, it can be an entirely different outcome when the game is played... However, I do disagree with your last comment... I think this year, more than any other I ever remember, on paper Canada's group of forwards and defensemen are far superior to any other club... Goaltending could be a question but I'm hoping Nastiuk gets the spot and steps up... I'm not saying Canada will trounce everyone... I'm just saying that "on paper" I think that Canada's best this year IS that much better than the US or Russia...

you guys are not thinking about Slovakia, Sweden or Czech rep. at all...
someone is going to be surprised.. :handclap: :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad