Top defenseman for each WJC team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reilly311

Postman said:
Obviously going in, it's Suter, but Johnson could emerge if given the opportunity.

Even I'm getting excited with all this Johnson talk. :help:

Sammy*

Postman said:
Obviously going in, it's Suter, but Johnson could emerge if given the opportunity.
Its virtually unheard of for forwards who are going into their draft year to make any kind of an impact, never mind a defenceman . To say the guy might, if given the chance, be the best D-man of a pretty strong team is optomisim (& arguably overhyping the guy) in the extreme.
The experience difference at that age is so enormous it makes it extremly unlikely unless the guy is the next coming of a defencemans version of Gretzky, imo.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Sammy said:
Its virtually unheard of for forwards who are going into their draft year to make any kind of an impact, never mind a defenceman . To say the guy might, if given the chance, be the best D-man of a pretty strong team is optomisim (& arguably overhyping the guy) in the extreme.
The experience difference at that age is so enormous it makes it extremly unlikely unless the guy is the next coming of a defencemans version of Gretzky, imo.
He was already the best defensemen at the evaluation camp over Suter, Thelen, and the rest. I'm not the only one that thinks this.

I think Suter will be the more steady defensemen easily, but Johnson has a MUCH more noticable, flashier style. He's excelled against not only kids his age, but NCAA D-1 teams, and he always does well in international competitions.

I'm not saying he will, and realize it's not probable because he's young yet, but he has the ability to at least emerge as the #2 behind Suter. We'll just have to wait and see.

Sammy*

Postman said:
He was already the best defensemen at the evaluation camp over Suter, Thelen, and the rest. I'm not the only one that thinks this.

I think Suter will be the more steady defensemen easily, but Johnson has a MUCH more noticable, flashier style. He's excelled against not only kids his age, but NCAA D-1 teams, and he always does well in international competitions.

I'm not saying he will, and realize it's not probable because he's young yet, but he has the ability to at least emerge as the #2 behind Suter. We'll just have to wait and see.
I would venture to bet there is a much greater chance of him either not making it or riding the pine as there is of him being the #1 d-man, or even #2.
Just my opinion.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Sammy said:
I would venture to bet there is a much greater chance of him either not making it or riding the pine as there is of him being the #1 d-man, or even #2.
Just my opinion.
True enough, but like Rabid Ranger pointed out in another thread, USA used Suter in his draft year for the WJCs, and they could do the same for Johnson (like I said, if given the opportunity).

He's putting up a PPG in the NTDP as a defensemen... I've looked, and I don't believe that's been done before. And some VERY good young defensemen have come out of that program (Leopold, Tanabe, Whitney, Komisarek, Suter... but it's early yet and he could fall off that pace).

leafaholix*

Canada: Dion Phaneuf
Sweden: Johan Fransson
USA: Ryan Suter
Russia: Dimitri Vorobyev
Slovakia: Andrej Meszaros
Czech Republic: Ladislav Smid
Finland: ?
Switzerland: ?

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Koltsov said:
he's not eligable to play, he's a 84. That's who I was thinking too, but I looked it up and he was a late 84. For the Fins it will probably be Mantymaa(sp?).

Good call. I never thought to look it up.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Postman said:

I'm not questioning you on this, but are there any articles on-line that address how Johnson outplayed those guys? I'd love to read about their respective performances at that evaluation camp.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Koltsov said:
Russia- Kirill Lyamin
He isn't even the top dman on the russian selects team that is playing the OHL, QMJHL, and WHL. I don't see how he could be the best on their WJC team.

:dunno:

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Dr.Sens(e) said:
I'm not questioning you on this, but are there any articles on-line that address how Johnson outplayed those guys? I'd love to read about their respective performances at that evaluation camp.
I've never seen any (aside from a few re: Schremp's poor play).

I'm just going on the discussions about the camp I've had with posters on this board and others (in regards to me not being the only one that thinks that).

Suter just didn't jump into the play very often. He played a very safe, smart game as he always does. Johnson, while he did well defensively, really jumped up into the play as well and made things happen at both ends of the rink.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Sammy said:

I'm hearing (no idea personally) that the USA could have a competitive team this year. Last year was "they better do it this year, next year will not be very solid" type of thing. It would say a lot for US hockey if they medal again this year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Crosbyfan said:
I'm hearing (no idea personally) that the USA could have a competitive team this year. Last year was "they better do it this year, next year will not be very solid" type of thing. It would say a lot for US hockey if they medal again this year.

The U.S. will actually ice a more talented team (offensively) this year. Add that dynamic to a mobile defensive corp and a returning Al Montoya and things look good. My only question is on the blueline, and whether some of the key cogs (like Stuart) gone from last year can be replaced. That's where Canada has a clear advantage IMO.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->