Top defenceman in international play?

Aki Berg

Jul 3, 2005
Aki-ville
finska said:
Aki Berg - Finland
Thomas Kaberle - Czechs
Fredrick Meyer - U.S.A.

And I'm not kidding about Berg either. Not too many top notch defensemen in this tourney.

:dunno:

The bigger ice surface compliments Aki's game perfectly and allows Aki to dominate in international play.

Finland is lucky they have Aki, who lays it all on the line for Aki's homeland, instead of a player like Golden Boy McCabe, who says he's too tired to represent his country even though they went to bat for him to get him on the Olympic team.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I would rank the Russian defenders

1. Atyushov
2. Bykov
3. Koltsov

*Nikulin is challanging for a spot, he has looked stellar and got 4 points against Kazahstan.
*Kulyash would normally be in my top3 but has looked unstable lately.

I am not sure how they stack up against the other team's defenders... we will have to see as the tournament progresses. This defence was enough for Russia to win the Eurotour, I hope it fairs well in this tournament.

Coffee and 7's*

Kronwall has played very good on big ice before...Wasn't he named the best defenseman of the last years Worlds? :)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Nummelin is pretty good for Finland. For a player like Teppo it ain't the same game in these tournaments as the NHL. He can play a perfect game without exposing his weakness that often. He is defenitly as valuble for Finland as Kronwall is for Sweden and Kaberle for the Czech Rep. A wonderful hockeyplayer, on the international stage.

The Ooh Wow

Apr 4, 2006
Turku, Finland
Hold on, Ola... It's Nummelin, not Numminen. Petteri Nummelin, the slick skater and wizard of long passes, plays for Lugano. Not Teppo Numminen, the solid all-round vet who is still playing for Buffalo in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Tricky those finnish names, eh? :)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Finnish Gordon said:
Hold on, Ola... It's Nummelin, not Numminen. Petteri Nummelin, the slick skater and wizard of long passes, plays for Lugano. Not Teppo Numminen, the solid all-round vet who is still playing for Buffalo in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Tricky those finnish names, eh? :)

Of course. Thanks. Nr 3 small and blond. Not tall, dark, old NHL veteran. Should have known better.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
blacklabel said:
Agreed with this list.

And Nummelin has no place in top 3. He's a good defenceman but is nothing compared to these three.

I understand your point on Kaberle and Jönsson, but what has Kronwall done that Nummelin has not? Kronwall will eventually be better, but maybe not yet. I'd place Berg ahead of Kronwall right now. The kid needs to prove something first

Last edited:

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
psycho_dad said:
I understand your point on Kaberle and Jönsson, but what has Kronwall done that Nummelin has not? Kronwall will eventually be better, but maybe not yet. I'd place Berg ahead of Kronwall right now. The kid needs to prove something first
The kid needs to prove something?? Wasn't he selected the best defenceman in WHC last year (lockout year remember)? He played great in the Olympics (two games but anyway), and wasn't he named the best defenceman or something in the AHL last season?

I'd take Kronwall right now over Nummelin without a hesitation, and putting Berg ahead of him is just nuts.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
blacklabel said:
The kid needs to prove something?? Wasn't he selected the best defenceman in WHC last year (lockout year remember)? He played great in the Olympics (two games but anyway), and wasn't he named the best defenceman or something in the AHL last season?

I'd take Kronwall right now over Nummelin without a hesitation, and putting Berg ahead of him is just nuts.

Nummelin would be great if he played even a little physical, but that guy never takles.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
blacklabel said:

Berg is an NHL veteran. Nummelin has several all star selections in world championships, has won the swiss league scoring title once, as a defenseman, and has played more NHL games.

Yes, Kronwall has to actually succeed in the NHL level and in more than one world championships before you can rate him over guys like Berg or even Nummelin. Especially Berg who has already represented his country in a few super tournaments, and has played like 600 NHL games. Kronwall is a very promising young guy, but he has something to prove before you can just rank him above people who have actually achieved more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad