Top CHL Franchises

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
London's thrashing in this tournament definitely got me wondering about this. I always considered them to be the best overall since the turn of the millenium but they just haven't been the best team in the CHL since 2005. They've always been considered the model franchise, yankees, etc. but they took a beating this past week.

How would you rank the top CHL franchises since 2000?

It's up to you to determine which criteria you value the most. Being the absolute best and dominant for a short period of time (1-2 years) or having consistent success for a long period of time.

Some names off the top of my head:

Halifax Mooseheads (2013 dominance, competitive again in 2014 and made it far in 2012)
London Knights (3 OHL championships, 2005 dream team Memorial Cup and compete every year)
Windsor Spitfires (back to back Memorial Cups, dominant teams)
Edmonton Oil Kings (3 straight WHL finals appearances, won 2)
Portland Winterhawks (4 straight WHL finals appearances, won 1)
Saint John Sea Dogs (Memorial Cup in 11, appearance in 12 and were favourites)
Guelph Storm (2 OHL championships)
Kitchener Rangers (Memorial Cup in 07, 2 OHL championships, consistently competitive)

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
That depends on your definition of success. You can have success as a team and success as a franchise; they aren't the same in my mind.

London's an example of a successful franchise; that team is on par with most professional franchises in the way it's run. They always sell out. The Hunters not only make money, they make a lot of money running the show. And the team itself is always full of marketable stars and NHL-quality talent.

In terms of the caliber of team over 10 years, that might get a little opinionated, but the Knights are always competitive and you can't say that about a lot of other teams. Most teams are one or two-and-dones, even the successful ones like the Sea Dogs, Rangers, and Spitfires.

I've seen a lot of organizations, and not many of them are run as much as a business-like manner as the Knights, nor are they as successful.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I think Saint John is the leader coming out of the QMJHL at least over the past 10 years.

They were the league's regular season champion for three years in a row (09-10, 10-11, 11-12), won the league title for two of those years (10-11, 11-12) and as mentioned, won the Memorial Cup in 10-11.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
From the WHL in no particular order:

Brandon wheat kings
Kelowna rockets
Vancouver giants
Calgary Hitmen
Edmonton oil kings (only recently)
Portland winterhawks(recent too)

frontsfan2005

Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
In the OHL, obviously the Knights are the current top franchise, in the playoffs every year since the 99-00 season, lots of 100 point seasons, division titles, OHL championships and the 2005 Memorial Cup dream team. They usually have a ton of NHL drafted players, sell out pretty much every game, and have probably the best ownership in the league with the Hunters running the show. They have also hosted two very successful Memorial Cups.

The second top team I would say is Guelph, obviously a big step behind London, but they are usually always competitive (have made the playoffs every year since 1992), have had a lot of NHL talent come through, usually a very well coached team. Fan support is questionable though.

Kitchener has had some very successful teams since 2000, winning the 2003 Memorial Cup and finishing in second in 2008. But they've had some horrible teams too, missing the playoffs in 2001, 2009 and 2014. Great fan support though, but clearly a step behind London in terms as best OHL franchise.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
From the WHL in no particular order:

Brandon wheat kings
Kelowna rockets
Vancouver giants
Calgary Hitmen
Edmonton oil kings (only recently)
Portland winterhawks(recent too)

They have been in the league for 7 years.

Playoffs 5 out of 7. Won the WHL championship twice. Memorial cup once.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
In the OHL, obviously the Knights are the current top franchise, in the playoffs every year since the 99-00 season, lots of 100 point seasons, division titles, OHL championships and the 2005 Memorial Cup dream team. They usually have a ton of NHL drafted players, sell out pretty much every game, and have probably the best ownership in the league with the Hunters running the show. They have also hosted two very successful Memorial Cups.

The second top team I would say is Guelph, obviously a big step behind London, but they are usually always competitive (have made the playoffs every year since 1992), have had a lot of NHL talent come through, usually a very well coached team. Fan support is questionable though.

Kitchener has had some very successful teams since 2000, winning the 2003 Memorial Cup and finishing in second in 2008. But they've had some horrible teams too, missing the playoffs in 2001, 2009 and 2014. Great fan support though, but clearly a step behind London in terms as best OHL franchise.

I would put Plymouth in the mix as well. Always competitive, almost always with a few NHL draftees, and well coached/managed. Fan support is small but dedicated.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I think Saint John is the leader coming out of the QMJHL at least over the past 10 years.

They were the league's regular season champion for three years in a row (09-10, 10-11, 11-12), won the league title for two of those years (10-11, 11-12) and as mentioned, won the Memorial Cup in 10-11.

The OP said since 2000 and since 2000, I think Gatineau/Hull is in the mix. Saint John weren't there before 2005.

3 Presidents Cup and 5 finals for Gatineau since 2000.

They also had some playoffs success against better seeded teams, which is something Saint John has yet to do. And Saint John has shown no consistency at all so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->