Top American NHL Players Since Expansion #2

Who's the second best American NHL player since the 1967 expansion?

• Brian Leetch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mark Howe

• Jeremy Roenick

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Hull should have been #1 and Chelios #2.

Kane in my opinion has no argument for #1. Maybe by the time he retires he will - but for him to already be #1 his peak/prime would have to have been better than Chelios and Hull by a significant margin to overcome lack of longevity. And I think I still prefer Hull for peak and prime.

Voted Hull.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Hull should have been #1 and Chelios #2.

Kane in my opinion has no argument for #1. Maybe by the time he retires he will - but for him to already be #1 his peak/prime would have to have been better than Chelios and Hull by a significant margin to overcome lack of longevity. And I think I still prefer Hull for peak and prime.

Voted Hull.
No doubt one of the greatest goalscorers in history, but his peak years were very much boosted by Oates (72, 86, 70G) as he never scored more than 57G without him (and only had two 50+G seasons without Oates).

That said, he did still produce lots with much poorer Blues' centres before and after 89-92, just not nearly as much.

Last edited:

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Chelios should have been #1.

For the sake of the exercise I don't really consider Hull as American. He was born in Ontario from Canadian parents, grew up and played his hockey there until he was 20.

Reactions: Iapyi and wabagee

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
yep, Cheli 3rd makes no sense.

The HoH board ranked him 10th greatest Dman all-time, behind Robinson, and ahead of: Park, Coffey, MacInnis, Pronger, Stevens

Hull was ranked 22nd greatest W all-time behind Kurri, and ahead of: Iginla, MSL, Bure

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Chelios should have been #1.

For the sake of the exercise I don't really consider Hull as American. He was born in Ontario from Canadian parents, grew up and played his hockey there until he was 20.
He was a traitor, he wasn’t good enough to play for team Canada one year so he jumped ship to the easy team.

Reactions: Iapyi

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Chelios should be number one so there's that. Further proof that recency bias outweights nostaliga on this site atleast.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I always have a problem with considering the Canadian born and bred Hull to be considered an American. Frankly it's ridiculous to call him one.

Fan 4 Life

Dec 26, 2007
Airdrie AB
Doug Weight needs to be on this poll from day one. The guy carried awful offensive Oiler teams and had his prime wasted.

Also, Chelios was ridiculous and should have gone #1. Then we could have had a good debate of Hull (Canadian) vs Kane as second best American.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Hull may have peaked higher but Chelios' prime lasted a lot longer.

While Hull may have a Hart Trophy, Chelios has 3 Norris', plus 3 other times he was nominated. He's also ahead in AST's

I always have a problem with considering the Canadian born and bred Hull to be considered an American. Frankly it's ridiculous to call him one.

The thing that gets me with Hull is he spent pretty much his whole life in Canada up until he went to the NCAA. It'd be different had he born there but moved to the states when he was like 10 and came up thru minor hockey there. (i.e was trained and developed there)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad