top 90's goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
the Brodeur vs. Richter thread got me thinking...

how would you rate these players in order of best to weakest (at their primes):

Roy
Brodeur
Belfour
Hasek
Richter
Joseph

am i missing anyone else who was pretty consistantly in top form throughout the 1990's?

EDIT

*ok, there's some confusion. this isn't MY list. i'm asking people to list these guys in thier own order*

My list looks like this:

Hasek
Roy
Brodeur
Belfour
Joseph
Richter

Last edited:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If we're going prime vs. prime the only choice is Hasek.

Hasek 6/7 year stretch from 94-01 is the greatest stretch of hockey ever played by a goalie.

Roy, Brodeur and a few others may end up with better overall careers, bt they've never approached the greatness that Hasek did during the late 1990's.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
i'm going to throw one in there and say grant fuhr. he'd most likely be at the bottom of your list but he was real good for st. louis, buffalo during the 90's (I left out leafs for a reason ;) ). even if his prime was in the 80s i think he deserves some credit.

good golfer too ;)

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
My rank:

Hasek (One of the games best players EVER...counting skaters as well)
Roy
Brodeur

The others are no way close. But...

Brodeur
Richter
Joseph

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
If we're going prime vs. prime the only choice is Hasek.

Hasek 6/7 year stretch from 94-01 is the greatest stretch of hockey ever played by a goalie.

Roy, Brodeur and a few others may end up with better overall careers, bt they've never approached the greatness that Hasek did during the late 1990's.
I'm going to have to disagree. In a seven year career Bill Durnan won 2 cups, 6 Vezina, and 6 first team all stars. Plus Haseks playoff play never really impressed me.

My top 10 for the 90's is Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Barrasso, Belfour, Richter, Joseph, Vernon, VBK, and Osgood.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
#66 said:
I'm going to have to disagree. In a seven year career Bill Durnan won 2 cups, 6 Vezina, and 6 first team all stars. Plus Haseks playoff play never really impressed me.

My top 10 for the 90's is Roy, Hasek, Brodeur, Barrasso, Belfour, Richter, Joseph, Vernon, VBK, and Osgood.

If you want to knock Hasek's playoff record, then you need to knock Durnan's as well. Durnan won 2 Cups with a team that finished 1st overall 4 times, and 2nd once. What do those 2 Cup wins have in common? They came when Turk Broda was out due to war service.

Hasek has about as much playoff success as Belfour has had, and Belfour played for better teams.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
#66 said:

Durnan's career began during WWII, which certainly weakened the NHL for a time. Vezina's at the time were not voted on but equal today's Jennings trophy. The Habs were the best team, which helped considerably on those 6 Vezina's.

43-44 - Best team, won Cup
44-45 - Best team, bounced by the Leafs who finished 28 points behind in a 50 game
45-46 - Best team, won Cup
46-47 - Best team, lost to Leafs, 6 points in 60 games
47-48 - Missed playoffs
48-49 - 3rd best, lost in round one to Red Wings, who were 10 points better
49-50 - 2nd best, lost to Rangers, 10 points worse in 70 games.

7 years
Missed playoffs once
Never beat a team with a better record.
3 times lost to a team with a worse record.
2 Stanley Cups

Hasek

93-94 - 10th best, lost in round one to New Jersey, 2nd best team (14 goals in 8 games of action)
94-95 - 11th best, lost in round one to Philly, 4th best (18 goals in 5 games)
95-96 - Missed playoffs
96-97 - 6th best, beat Ottawa, was injured and didn't play against Philly in round 2
97-98 - 10th best, beat Phlly (9 in 5 games), who was 6 points better, Montreal (10 in 4 games) , 2 points worse, and lost to Washington (13 in 6 games), 3 points better
98-99 - 9th best, beat Ottawa (6 in 4 games) who was 12 points better, Boston (14 in 6 games) who was equal, Toronto (16 in 6 games) who was 6 points better and lost to Dallas (13 in 7 games of action) who was 23 points better.
99-00 - 16th best, lost to Philly who was 20 points better (14 goals in 5 games)
00-01 - 8th best, beat Philly(13 goals in 6+ games) who was 2 points better, lost to Pittsburgh (17 goals in 7+ games) who was two points worse
00-02 - Best team, won Stanley Cup

In 9 years
Won a Stanley Cup
Missed playoffs once
Lost to a better team one time (2 points)
Four times beat better teams

KOVALEV10*

#66 said:

Yes but that was in an era where the Vezina was awarded to the goalie who allows the fewest goals not the best goalie and Durnan was on a great Montreal Canadiens squad with great d in front of him.

KariyaIsGod*

John Flyers Fan said:
Durnan's career began during WWII, which certainly weakened the NHL for a time. Vezina's at the time were not voted on but equal today's Jennings trophy. The Habs were the best team, which helped considerably on those 6 Vezina's.

43-44 - Best team, won Cup
44-45 - Best team, bounced by the Leafs who finished 28 points behind in a 50 game
45-46 - Best team, won Cup
46-47 - Best team, lost to Leafs, 6 points in 60 games
47-48 - Missed playoffs
48-49 - 3rd best, lost in round one to Red Wings, who were 10 points better
49-50 - 2nd best, lost to Rangers, 10 points worse in 70 games.

7 years
Missed playoffs once
Never beat a team with a better record.
3 times lost to a team with a worse record.
2 Stanley Cups

Hasek

93-94 - 10th best, lost in round one to New Jersey, 2nd best team (14 goals in 8 games of action)
94-95 - 11th best, lost in round one to Philly, 4th best (18 goals in 5 games)
95-96 - Missed playoffs
96-97 - 6th best, beat Ottawa, was injured and didn't play against Philly in round 2
97-98 - 10th best, beat Phlly (9 in 5 games), who was 6 points better, Montreal (10 in 4 games) , 2 points worse, and lost to Washington (13 in 6 games), 3 points better
98-99 - 9th best, beat Ottawa (6 in 4 games) who was 12 points better, Boston (14 in 6 games) who was equal, Toronto (16 in 6 games) who was 6 points better and lost to Dallas (13 in 7 games of action) who was 23 points better.
99-00 - 16th best, lost to Philly who was 20 points better (14 goals in 5 games)
00-01 - 8th best, beat Philly(13 goals in 6+ games) who was 2 points better, lost to Pittsburgh (17 goals in 7+ games) who was two points worse
00-02 - Best team, won Stanley Cup

In 9 years
Won a Stanley Cup
Missed playoffs once
Lost to a better team one time (2 points)
Four times beat better teams

Exactly... I would also like to point out that 98-99 could have easily been a cup win if the goal had been reviewed and disallowed as it should have been.

If you're not impressed by Hasek's playoffs, watch that run, he's the reason the Sabres got there.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Point taken. Now how is Hasek placed on an all time list? Plante, Dryden, and a few of the other top all time goalies are products of their team.

Last edited:

KOVALEV10*

1-Dominik Hasek: The dominator enjoyed the most incredible run a goaltender has had from 1993 to 2002 when he finally won a stanley cup. He only had one bad season in 95-96 when his gaa was 2.83 and didnt make the playoffs. That really showed that he was the one and only reason Sabres made the playoffs. He won 6 Vezina trophies, 2 hart trophies in a row and lead the league in save percentage for 6 straight years. He was the best one on one goalie ever.

2- Patrick Roy: Roy was his usual self winning 2 vezinas in the beggining of the decade then leading his team to a stanley cup in 1993. Following his cup run however he enjoyed the worse years in his career in 1994 and 1995 and therefore was traded after allowing 9 goals in 2 periods. That same year he was traded to Colorado he won the cup although he wasnt the major reason like he was in 1993.

3- Martin Brodeur: He did have solid defense in front of him but fact is its also a challenge to stay in the game while not seeing so many shots. He was one game away from reaching the finals in his rookie year, then won the stanley cup the next year in 1995.

4- Mike Richter: Backbone of the Rangers in the early to mid nineties, he played solid every season and come playoff time he was as clutch as can be. His save on the penalty shot against Bure is still remembered as legendary to this day.

5- Ed Belfour/Curthis Joseph: Although neither won a cup nor a vezina in the decade, they played solid in every game. In the playoffs, they like Mike Richter really shone and outplayed the opposite team's goalie many times including Roy and Hasek.

Guys like Mike Vernon, Grant Fuhr, Olaf Kolzig and Bill Randford weren't bad either.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
KOVALEV10 said:
1-Dominik Hasek: The dominator enjoyed the most incredible run a goaltender has had from 1993 to 2002 when he finally won a stanley cup. He only had one bad season in 95-96 when his gaa was 2.83 and didnt make the playoffs. That really showed that he was the one and only reason Sabres made the playoffs. He won 6 Vezina trophies, 2 hart trophies in a row and lead the league in save percentage for 6 straight years. He was the best one on one goalie ever.

2- Patrick Roy: Roy was his usual self winning 2 vezinas in the beggining of the decade then leading his team to a stanley cup in 1993. Following his cup run however he enjoyed the worse years in his career in 1994 and 1995 and therefore was traded after allowing 9 goals in 2 periods. That same year he was traded to Colorado he won the cup although he wasnt the major reason like he was in 1993.

3- Martin Brodeur: He did have solid defense in front of him but fact is its also a challenge to stay in the game while not seeing so many shots. He was one game away from reaching the finals in his rookie year, then won the stanley cup the next year in 1995.

4- Mike Richter: Backbone of the Rangers in the early to mid nineties, he played solid every season and come playoff time he was as clutch as can be. His save on the penalty shot against Bure is still remembered as legendary to this day.

5- Ed Belfour/Curthis Joseph: Although neither won a cup nor a vezina in the decade, they played solid in every game. In the playoffs, they like Mike Richter really shone and outplayed the opposite team's goalie many times including Roy and Hasek.

Guys like Mike Vernon, Grant Fuhr, Olaf Kolzig and Bill Randford weren't bad either.

Belfour won a Calder, two Vezinas, 4 Jennings, and a Stanley Cup all within the 1990's. He's miles ahead of Richter in my books. His career accomplishments seem to get overlooked a bit because he's just about the least exciting goaltender ever to watch

Last edited:

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
to further clarify any confusion among posters: i'm not suggesting guys like Richter or Joseph are on the same level as Hasek, i'm just curious as to which order people would rate all these guys

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
Richter was absolutly ridiculous in the rangers '94 run. I would say that was his prime so i would say he is top 3 with Hasek and Roy.

Hasek hands down the best. Richter and Roy are behind for 90s prime. Broduer, in my opinion, is one of the most overrated goalies of the passed 10 years, maybe all time. Best defense in the league in front of him every year.

Wow, this is my first post outside of the lockout section. Feels good to actually talk about HOCKEY

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
nyrmessier011 said:
Richter was absolutly ridiculous in the rangers '94 run. I would say that was his prime so i would say he is top 3 with Hasek and Roy.
A one season prime, that's pretty sad. Jim Carrey was better in his prime than Mike Richter was in his prime.

Here's my list:
1. Dom Hasek - five time First All-Star Team selection in the 1990's.
2. Ed Belfour - I have him edging out Patrick Roy by a slight margin.
3. Patrick Roy - Very close to Belfour. Roy is 2nd in my book for the first-half of the 1990's to Belfour and 2nd or 3rd for the second-half of the decade to Hasek.
4. Marty Brodeur - Hurt by the fact he wasn't a rookie until 1993-94
5. John Vanbiesbrouck - played really well for Florida. Second All-Star Team in 1993-94.
5. Jim Carey - better than Richter in his one-season prime, winning the Vezina in 1995-96.
6. Mike Richter - not even as good as Jim Carrey in Richter's one-season prime.

#66 said:
Point taken. Now how is Hasek placed on an all time list? Plante, Dryden, and a few of the other top all time goalies are products of their team.
The Canadiens didn't win the Stanley Cup during Dryden's legal-clerking season or after his final retirement. The Canadiens' 1970's success had a lot to do with the play of Ken Dryden.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
David Puddy said:
The Canadiens didn't win the Stanley Cup during Dryden's legal-clerking season or after his final retirement. The Canadiens' 1970's success had a lot to do with the play of Ken Dryden.
Of couse but his team had alot to do with his stats being so impressive.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
KOVALEV10 said:
5- Ed Belfour/Curthis Joseph: Although neither won a cup nor a vezina in the decade, they played solid in every game.

Belfour won a Vezina in '91 and '93 and a Cup in '99.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Take it for what it's worth, but my goalie ranking formula says:

Most Goals Saved during the 90's

Dominik Hasek 325.3
Patrick Roy 295.5
Ed Belfour 165.0
John Vanbiesbrouck 150.9
Curtis Joseph 136.7
Martin Brodeur 118.2
Guy Hebert 108.0
Mike Richter 102.8
Felix Potvin 97.7
Daren Puppa 81.9

This takes into account regular season play only. (Also, keep in mind that Brodeur didn't become a starter until 1994, whereas Beezer and Cujo were starters just about the whole decade... that's why Brodeur ranks lower.)

Top Ten Seasons (aka the Hasek list)

Dominik Hasek 1995 61.8
Dominik Hasek 1994 58.2
Patrick Roy 1992 54.2
Curtis Joseph 1993 52.3
Dominik Hasek 1999 52.2
Patrick Roy 1990 52.1
Dominik Hasek 1997 51.5
Ed Belfour 1991 51.2
John Vanbiesbrouck 1994 50.2
Dominik Hasek 1998 50.1

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
wow, i never thought Darren Puppa's name would appear in this thread, lol...

how does your "Goals Saved" formula work?

jb**

How about Hextall:
Took quebec to the playoffs in 92 his first year, without hin they don't get there
Took the Islanders a few years later
Went back to the Flyers and had 3 excellent regular seasons andnot so good playoff's even thought they went to the cup in 97 conf finals in 95

Also like Kolzig, if was on a higher profile team would be in the same breath as the others imo.

A few other swho enjoyed some nice runs in the 90's.

Kelly Hrudey, solid for the Isles in the late 80's and played a large role in the Kings '93 run to the Finals

Felix Potvin, great rookie campaign and was a solid and often spectacular goalie until Fuhr was brought in which basically shattered his fragile confidence.

Kirk McLean, forever known for "The Pad Stack" this prototypical stand-up enjoyed a lot of good, solid seasons in the late 80s and early 90s.

And finally I can't believe no one has named him until now....

Tom Barrasso, like Fuhr before him he gets derided for winning with an offensive powerhouse in front of him, and like Fuhr he made the big save when it was needed throughout both Cup runs. Should certainly rank ahead of Cujo, Carey and Vanbiesbrouck who won nothing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->