Top 8 WHL prospects for the 2009 NHL draft

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
1. Jared Cowen(Defense) SPOKANE CHIEFS - Many scouts believe that he is the odds on favorite to go 1st overall in this draft. Thus he gets the first overall rating for the first ever 2009 WHL ranking. Jared is a big, strong, good skating, gritty 6'5 208 lb defenseman. He has been selected to play as an underage for the 2007 Canada Winter Games in Whitehorse and should lead the team in many aspects as an underage. He was selected first overall in the WHL bantam draft last spring and has really picked up his game through the coarse of his midget season with the Saskatoon Contacts. Jared has numbers of 6-22-28-103 Pims in 41 league games.
http://cwg2007.kimik-it.gl/Result/ShowPerson.aspx?Person_GUID=0d5ca533-5086-4635-9074-58bf6c532c34

2. Jimmy Bubnick(Forward) KAMLOOPS BLAZERS - Jimmy is another player from the Saskatoon Contacts who is only 15 and playing midget hockey. He is having a fantastic season with 33-37-70pts playing on a line with fellow WHL first rounders Carter Ashton and Brayden Schenn. He was selected fifth overall in the whl bantam draft. Jimmy has the ability to turn his defenders inside out with his stick handling prowess and displays a quick release shot. Jimmy is also part of the Saskatchewan team at the 2007 Canada Winter games in Whitehorse.
http://cwg2007.kimik-it.gl/Result/ShowPerson.aspx?Person_GUID=4ab2f6b5-1c3d-4982-9e2b-e57e8c18678c

3. Landon Ferraro(Forward) RED DEER REBELS- Selected 2nd overall in the WHL bantam draft. Landon displays a knack for scoring goals at a tremendous rate in his young career. He seems to display the same goal scoring ability as his dad which is a great sign for any NHL team drafting him. This season in Midget playing with the Vancouver NW Giants he has scored 21-13-34 in 25 gp. Landon is participating in the Canada Games as an underage as well with team BC.
http://cwg2007.kimik-it.gl/Result/ShowPerson.aspx?Person_GUID=2c497a6f-3a9a-47d7-ade4-ac2baaed7c44

4. Carter Ashton(Forward) LETHBRIDGE HURRICANES- Selected 7th overall in the WHL bantam draft in 2006. Carter is a gritty forward with good a very good skill set. Knows the defensive zone better than any other forward from his WHL draft class. Carter has put up numbers of 28-38-66-99pims. His father Brent played several seasons in the NHL which has really helped out his development. He is part of the great trio of forwards who all play Midget with the Saskatoon Contacts, who all were drafted in the top 7 in the WHL bantam draft and all are playing in the Canada Winter Games as well. Carter could have the most upside of any forward from the WHL in his age group.
http://cwg2007.kimik-it.gl/Result/ShowPerson.aspx?Person_GUID=bf17168d-a44f-40ab-b2fa-76879524ff02

5. Stefan Elliott(Defenseman) SASKATOON BLADES- Selected 12th overall in the whl bantam draft. Stefan was acquired by the Saskatoon Blades early this season for NHL prospect Devin Setoguchi. Stefan won BC Minor Hockey League player of the year last season which isn't any small feat considering he was up against Landon Ferrero and Ryan Howse both drafted in the Top 3 in the bantam draft. Stefan has excelled this season scoring 12-19-31 in 36 gp with the Vancouver NW Giants. He is part of the Canada Winter Games in Whitehorse as well playing with fellow top prospects Howse and Ferraro.

6. Ryan Hoswe(Forward) Chilliwack Bruins- Selected 2nd overall in the bantam draft. Playing in the BC Midget Hockey league and has 19-16-35 in 28 gp with the Cariboo Cougars. Ryan is a very good goalscorer who will score 50 someday with the Chilliwack Bruin team. He is playing as an underage with team Bc at the winter games. Has a WHL goal to his credit already this season.

7. Cole Penner(Forward) Prince Albert Raiders- Plays in the AMHL. Power forward, good goal scoring. Not lighting it up this year and by have underformed with the Medicine Hat team he plays for. He is very rough and won't hesitate to drop the mits which makes him a good fit for the WHL. Is playing on the Canada Winter Games roster with Alberta.

8. Brayden Schenn(Forward) Brandon Wheatkings- Last one of the 4 ranked in the Top 8 who plays with the Saskatoon Contacts. Has put up big numbers 27-43-70 which ranks him tied with Jimmy Bubnick for 4th. A little undersized but gritty and tough and has good roots with his brother Luke Schenn ranked in the TOp 5 in the NHL 2008 draft. Plays with Team Sask at the winter games.

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
John Tavares is the odds on favourite to go 1st overall in the 2009 draft, not Jared Cowen, I really doubt that any scouts would say otherwise

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
Cowen vs Tavarez

I guess it depends on whether you want a goal scorer or a top defensman. I guess most teams will take the top player but you never know. I really wasn't looking for a person to respond by nit picking but to each there own. I guess you probably live out east?

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Viktor Hedman has been said to challenge for #1 in 09 as well.
Yup- Sharkie knows his stuff folks. Hedman would likely be a top 15 pick this year but with 2 years remaining he is the main challenger to Tavares at this point. Cowan is the man out West for sure- and we'll see if he can keep pace with the above two next season

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
are any of those 8 Americans??

No. I couldn't say if any of the American players eligible for the '09 draft in WHL territory would crack a list like that at this point. Regardless, the top US players in the region likely won't be playing in the WHL.

JorgeRocks!

May 31, 2006
I guess it depends on whether you want a goal scorer or a top defensman. I guess most teams will take the top player but you never know. I really wasn't looking for a person to respond by nit picking but to each there own. I guess you probably live out east?

Tavares every single time. 1-1 right now, Tavares would hammer Cowan. He is the top defenceman for that draft right now, and should be a great player.

JorgeRocks!

May 31, 2006
1. Jared Cowen(Defense) SPOKANE CHIEFS - Many scouts believe that he is the odds on favorite to go 1st overall in this draft. Thus he gets the first overall rating for the first ever 2009 WHL ranking. Jared is a big, strong, good skating, gritty 6'5 208 lb defenseman. He has been selected to play as an underage for the 2007 Canada Winter Games in Whitehorse and should lead the team in many aspects as an underage. He was selected first overall in the WHL bantam draft last spring and has really picked up his game through the coarse of his midget season with the Saskatoon Contacts. Jared has numbers of 6-22-28-103 Pims in 41 league games.
http://cwg2007.kimik-it.gl/Result/ShowPerson.aspx?Person_GUID=0d5ca533-5086-4635-9074-58bf6c532c34

2. Jimmy Bubnick(Forward) KAMLOOPS BLAZERS - Jimmy is another player from the Saskatoon Contacts who is only 15 and playing midget hockey. He is having a fantastic season with 33-37-70pts playing on a line with fellow WHL first rounders Carter Ashton and Brayden Schenn. He was selected fifth overall in the whl bantam draft. Jimmy has the ability to turn his defenders inside out with his stick handling prowess and displays a quick release shot. Jimmy is also part of the Saskatchewan team at the 2007 Canada Winter games in Whitehorse.
http://cwg2007.kimik-it.gl/Result/ShowPerson.aspx?Person_GUID=4ab2f6b5-1c3d-4982-9e2b-e57e8c18678c

3. Landon Ferraro(Forward) RED DEER REBELS- Selected 2nd overall in the WHL bantam draft. Landon displays a knack for scoring goals at a tremendous rate in his young career. He seems to display the same goal scoring ability as his dad which is a great sign for any NHL team drafting him. This season in Midget playing with the Vancouver NW Giants he has scored 21-13-34 in 25 gp. Landon is participating in the Canada Games as an underage as well with team BC.
http://cwg2007.kimik-it.gl/Result/ShowPerson.aspx?Person_GUID=2c497a6f-3a9a-47d7-ade4-ac2baaed7c44

4. Carter Ashton(Forward) LETHBRIDGE HURRICANES- Selected 7th overall in the WHL bantam draft in 2006. Carter is a gritty forward with good a very good skill set. Knows the defensive zone better than any other forward from his WHL draft class. Carter has put up numbers of 28-38-66-99pims. His father Brent played several seasons in the NHL which has really helped out his development. He is part of the great trio of forwards who all play Midget with the Saskatoon Contacts, who all were drafted in the top 7 in the WHL bantam draft and all are playing in the Canada Winter Games as well. Carter could have the most upside of any forward from the WHL in his age group.
http://cwg2007.kimik-it.gl/Result/ShowPerson.aspx?Person_GUID=bf17168d-a44f-40ab-b2fa-76879524ff02

5. Stefan Elliott(Defenseman) SASKATOON BLADES- Selected 12th overall in the whl bantam draft. Stefan was acquired by the Saskatoon Blades early this season for NHL prospect Devin Setoguchi. Stefan won BC Minor Hockey League player of the year last season which isn't any small feat considering he was up against Landon Ferrero and Ryan Howse both drafted in the Top 3 in the bantam draft. Stefan has excelled this season scoring 12-19-31 in 36 gp with the Vancouver NW Giants. He is part of the Canada Winter Games in Whitehorse as well playing with fellow top prospects Howse and Ferraro.

6. Ryan Hoswe(Forward) Chilliwack Bruins- Selected 2nd overall in the bantam draft. Playing in the BC Midget Hockey league and has 19-16-35 in 28 gp with the Cariboo Cougars. Ryan is a very good goalscorer who will score 50 someday with the Chilliwack Bruin team. He is playing as an underage with team Bc at the winter games. Has a WHL goal to his credit already this season.

7. Cole Penner(Forward) Prince Albert Raiders- Plays in the AMHL. Power forward, good goal scoring. Not lighting it up this year and by have underformed with the Medicine Hat team he plays for. He is very rough and won't hesitate to drop the mits which makes him a good fit for the WHL. Is playing on the Canada Winter Games roster with Alberta.

8. Brayden Schenn(Forward) Brandon Wheatkings- Last one of the 4 ranked in the Top 8 who plays with the Saskatoon Contacts. Has put up big numbers 27-43-70 which ranks him tied with Jimmy Bubnick for 4th. A little undersized but gritty and tough and has good roots with his brother Luke Schenn ranked in the TOp 5 in the NHL 2008 draft. Plays with Team Sask at the winter games.

Ferraro would be my second choice.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Tavares will go ahead of Cowen in the '09 NHL draft simply because of the hype and the fact that he won exceptional status with the CHL. That being said, Cowen is a player like the fans here in Spokane have never seen, and I can't wait to see him full time next season, as he will probably at the age of 16 be our top defenseman by a long shot. Personally, if I were making this list, I would push Ryan Howse up further than 6th as well. I think he's an extremely talented forward, who's going to get every opportunity with Chilliwack to show what he can do offensively. I would put Howse as high as 2nd as far as WHL prospects for the '09 draft, but it's pretty much a toss-up between himself and Landon Ferraro IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad