Top 8 mock draft

spfan

May 4, 2009
Only going to do the top 8 as we only know who's picking in these spots. Not going to use a simulator or predictions for the order of the others.

1. Whoever wins the lottery - LW Alexis Lafreniere

It doesn't matter who wins it, it's going to be him.

2. LA - C Quinton Byfield

They're not in that huge of a need of a center with Kopitar having many years left and Vilardi looks to be a top center still. As well as a few other solid prospects, but they gotta go with the 2nd best player and that's Byfield. Stutzle is close, but Byfield's size and skill is too much to pass on.

3. Ottawa - C Tim Stutzle

They have some decent center prospects, but not sure if they're going to pan out as 1c's. So Stutzle would be a huge piece for their future.

4. Detroit - D Jamie Drysdale

This is where the draft really opens up and there's quite a few ways they could go. They did reach for Seider last year, but their defense is still in rough shape. So adding a high end d-man would be huge for the team. They're more set with their forwards.

5. Ottawa - RW Lucas Raymond

Ottawa are back on the clock and there's a couple of choices, but after adding a top end center, they go with arguably the best player and a top end winger. Raymond's draft stock did drop a little from the start of the year or maybe more so others were just raising theirs, but Raymond still has all the tools to be an elite 1st line winger.

6. Anaheim - LW Cole Perfetti

They're not hurting too bad in any position, but they go with arguably the BPA here. I've seen some say he'd be a center, but I think he definitely is better off at wing. Ducks just grabbed Zegras last year, so hopefully he can be their top center and he and Perfetti would be big parts of their future. Perfetti has the offensive skills, but only thing really lacking is his skating considering his smaller size.

7. NJ - RW Alexander Holtz

They have 2 top end centers and they just traded away Hall, so they could really use some wingers for their young centers. And a real shoot first winger as well. I think their defense isn't in terrible shape and I would see Sanderson as a reach here.

8. Buffalo - C Marco Rossi

They've really turned their defense around and they're set there. They've built a good group of prospects and young players already on their team. So there isn't a huge need at any position really. Mittelstadt hasn't turned out great so far, who was supposed to be their 2C. They just picked Cozens though and he looks good, but maybe he'd be better as a RW. Then you can have Rossi, a more pass first player to play alongside Cozens on that 2nd line in the future and Eichel would have more support.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
A Top 8, how could you. I mean, that’s BLASPHEMY! How dare you post a top 8 instead of a Top 10, Top 15 OR DARE I SAY A TOP 20, what gives you the right to put a mere 8 DESTROYING what us, mock draft creators have brought to the world. BE GONE WITH YOUR TOP 8 GOOD SIR AND RETURN WHEN YOU BRING US TWO MORE SELECTIONS IN THE 2020 NHL ENTRY DRAFT, I SAY GOOD DAY!!!

good list .3.

spfan

May 4, 2009
A Top 8, how could you. I mean, that’s BLASPHEMY! How dare you post a top 8 instead of a Top 10, Top 15 OR DARE I SAY A TOP 20, what gives you the right to put a mere 8 DESTROYING what us, mock draft creators have brought to the world. BE GONE WITH YOUR TOP 8 GOOD SIR AND RETURN WHEN YOU BRING US TWO MORE SELECTIONS IN THE 2020 NHL ENTRY DRAFT, I SAY GOOD DAY!!!

good list .3.

Lol. Is there some joke about people complaining about that before? I don't lurk here super often.

And thanks.

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I don't see how we pass on Sanderson in favor of a RW when RW is arguably the deepest position in this draft. I'd much rather scoop Jake at 7 and then take one of Mercer/Jarvis/Quinn with Arizona's pick than take Holtz over Sanderson.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Only going to do the top 8 as we only know who's picking in these spots. Not going to use a simulator or predictions for the order of the others.

4. Detroit - D Jamie Drysdale

This is where the draft really opens up and there's quite a few ways they could go. They did reach for Seider last year, but their defense is still in rough shape. So adding a high end d-man would be huge for the team. They're more set with their forwards.

Like the pick, can't argue with it.

They need help everywhere though...

spfan

May 4, 2009
Like the pick, can't argue with it.

They need help everywhere though...

They could go Rossi to get a top center, but Larkin-Veleno as the future is pretty decent. If it was 2nd or 3rd overall, then getting Stutzle or Byfield as centers would be obvious. And they have other forwards like Mantha, Zadina, Bertuzzi, Rasmussen, Fabbri, which is pretty solid. But the defense is really messy.

Reactions: Voodoo Glow Skulls

spfan

May 4, 2009
I don't see how we pass on Sanderson in favor of a RW when RW is arguably the deepest position in this draft. I'd much rather scoop Jake at 7 and then take one of Mercer/Jarvis/Quinn with Arizona's pick than take Holtz over Sanderson.

I think they can grab other d-men too though. I feel like Sanderson's stock really skyrocketed, but I'm not sure why really. I think there's a big gap between Drysdale and Sanderson. Also, NJ has a decent d-core. Ty Smith is quite similar to Sanderson. With Hall gone, they're pretty depleted with wingers for their young centers. So partly need, but I'm just not that high on Sanderson.

spfan

May 4, 2009
Buffalo getting Rossi is basically the best possible scenario that is also realistic.

Well done.

Thanks. They're an interesting team. They don't desperately need anything really anymore. I know fans have kinda given up on Mittelstadt, but he's still a decent player. Could turn it around. And then Cozens was just drafted, who is quite good. Before Dahlin, they had a mess of a defense, but they turned that around and the forwards are pretty solid as well.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
Please let this happen for Buffalo. They’re depending a lot on their youngster C prospects but if Mittlestadt, Cozens and Rossi pan out their loaded with Eichel up front.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad