Top 77 in 05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
hey...ISS had then 7th and 9th. Personally i dont think as highly as them but I couldn't make them too bad b/c i probably would be bashed. Before i seen there list i had O'Marra goin in the late stages of the first.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
TJ Hensick is GROSSLY underrated.

If the Rangers were willing last year to take Darin Olver at #36 last year, I'm sure Hensick would have gone higher if he had opted in.

Kitsune

Feb 20, 2003
Toronto ON CA
www.glidingeagle.com
Marc Staal is underrated. Hes bulked up greatly over the summer, isnt afraid to stand up for other players, and is even wearing the A in some games. He plays mostly stay at home, although he will jump up into the play to help the offense and he does get PP time for Sudbury, where he got his first goal of the season on Friday. Excellent Defensivlly, he will surprise many. Kyle Lamb is a wild card, I can see him dropping to the 3rd or 4th round or going in the late stages of the 1st round. He has the potential to be a solid two way defenseman or just a 3rd pair defenseman in the NHL, it all depends on this season, hes currently second pair for the Wolves. Nick Foligno is another player from the Wolves that eyes should be kept on, he has excellent stick handling, skating, is decent defensivlly, and looks to be a sniper of sorts, he plays first line for the Wolves and he deserves it greatly. He will go second round, maybe even late first, hes that good imo. As well his father(and the Wolves Coach/GM/Partial Owner) is Mike Foligno(Former NHL player and Hershey Bears(AHL) coach), and thats another reason why the Wolves should have an eye kept on them this season, cause Mike is a first class coach and his coaching staff is first class as well. And for those wondering, the predictions for this years Sudbury Wolves range from 1st to 6th in the Conference...

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
A Lone Wolf said:
Nick Foligno is another player from the Wolves that eyes should be kept on, he has excellent stick handling, skating, is decent defensivlly, and looks to be a sniper of sorts, he plays first line for the Wolves and he deserves it greatly. He will go second round, maybe even late first, hes that good imo.
Foligno is a late '87, so he's 2006 eligible.

He helps make that 2006 American group look even deeper.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
Minnesota Norse Star said:
TJ Hensick is GROSSLY underrated.

If the Rangers were willing last year to take Darin Olver at #36 last year, I'm sure Hensick would have gone higher if he had opted in.

Like i said earlier, he is one of those guys in the 20-50 range that could move up or down very quickly. It is such and awesome Top 3 rounds that he could go anywhere

Funkymoses

Love Machine said:
Where would Jonathan Segalet (excuse the spelling) fit in on this list, if at all?

Maybe towards the bottom of it. He did OK at Bowling Green last year as the youngest player in the NCAA but for a offensive defenseman 1-8-9 isn't going to cut it. BG's supposed to be improved offensively this year, which could help his case, but they're still going to be a team which is set on grinding it out. He's an interesting guy and I'll keep an eye out for him, but unless he makes a quantum leap I don't think he'll get 1st round consideration.

regarding Hensick: I think he's underrated too (and apparently so does he, given that he opted out), but it's hard to criticize Newfie or other list makers for dropping him for size, which is a concern w/ him.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Isnt Brock Bradford better than 56th? The way some people have talked about him I thought he would be higher.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
There has been some good/bad coments about Bradford. Yes he has the skill to be in the 1st but there is concerns about his size. Like i have said many times, it is so close from the late first to 3rd round.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Stevex said:
Isnt Brock Bradford better than 56th? The way some people have talked about him I thought he would be higher.
Offensively gifted, smart player, but could use an extra gear, although his skating is good. Also is only 5'10 and 170lbs. Very slight frame.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Nicklas Bergfors could drop on that list due to his size, although he already plays with the big boys in the SEL. He however, has a fourth line role with less than 10 minutes a game, with limited creative linemates. There's no doubt he'll be good anyway, but he lacks some size. As do Tom Wandell.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Wasn't Latendresse injured recently? While he may go in the top 5 skill wise, I have a feeling his durability will be brought to question (whether justified or not) as we approach draft day.

Thanks for taking the time to make a list though. I still have a lot to learn (and I can't watch too many hockey games from San Diego :( ), so any information and insight is great for people like me

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
steblick said:
Cogliano could easily play in the OHL and be one of its top players, but he is trying to keep his NCAA eligibility- hence the Jr.A league.

Ah, I see... I hadn't considered that. Thanks for the update.

Someone else said that Cogliano might have been better off playing a year in the USHL rather than staying in junior A. I'd tend to agree with that, as I think the USHL is probably a little higher caliber of play than the average junior A league... but maybe Cogliano wanted to stay close to home before going to college? :dunno:

Peripherally, this brings up another topic... how good is the USHL, really? Is it close to the level of the major junior leagues? I haven't seen a major junior game live since 1990, when I lived in Portland, but I've seen a few USHL games in recent years. The quality of play there doesn't seem to me to be so far below the level of major junior that it couldn't be brought up to that level fairly quickly... particularly if it were made more convenient for the best American junior players to spend a year or two there instead of going straight to college out of high school/prep school.

Having a fourth major junior league in North America would eliminate the free "host city" pass into the Memorial Cup for one team, true. But if the Memorial Cup were played every year in a neutral, centrally-located site (Winnipeg? Thunder Bay?), there'd be no need for a "host" city, would there?

Something to consider, anyway.

Prussian_Blue

Apr 9, 2003
futurenotes.blogspot.com
Robertsson 4-ever said:
Nicklas Bergfors could drop on that list due to his size, although he already plays with the big boys in the SEL. He however, has a fourth line role with less than 10 minutes a game, with limited creative linemates. There's no doubt he'll be good anyway, but he lacks some size. As do Tom Wandell.

I've seen Bergfors listed at 6-02, 189; I believe it was in the Top Swedish Prospects for 2005 article posted here at HF...

Has he grown any more since then?

6-02, 189 doesn't seem all that small to me...

choda32

Mar 17, 2004
i think you missed a real sleeper , tom pyatt of the saginaw spirit has a real pro game , i watch alot of his games last year and he really impressed me as a rookie on a very bad team , he's out for the first 3- 6 weeks with a bad shoulder but when he comes back he should be a force. I think by the end of th eyear you could see him going in the top 2 rounds

Funkymoses

Brian Weidler said:
The quality of play there doesn't seem to me to be so far below the level of major junior that it couldn't be brought up to that level fairly quickly... particularly if it were made more convenient for the best American junior players to spend a year or two there instead of going straight to college out of high school/prep school.

Having a fourth major junior league in North America would eliminate the free "host city" pass into the Memorial Cup for one team, true. But if the Memorial Cup were played every year in a neutral, centrally-located site (Winnipeg? Thunder Bay?), there'd be no need for a "host" city, would there?

Something to consider, anyway.

This is not feasible, as bringing the USHL into some sort of uber-CHL would kill the NCAA eligibility of USHL players, and the USHL regards itself primarily as an NCAA feeder league (as was discussed when the USHL decided to move to the USA Hockey Tier I standard). If the NCAA were to relax its stance on CHL players eligibility it could happen, but unfortunately that seems unlikely.

The best college-bound players generally *want* to play in the NCAA as soon as they graduate, anyway. Michigan's lost a couple kids who they were attempting to stash in the USHL or NAHL for a year before bringing them in to other schools with offers of immediate roster spots. Players who enter the the NCAA later were generally not given an opportunity to play DI hockey when they were younger.

As for the standard of play, it is not to the level of the CHL but the best USHL teams would probably do okay in the CHL.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
More guys

Some other guys that have come out of the gates with decent numbers, who can be considered for the 2005 draft are:

Tyler Donati, Right Wing-Oshawa
Cal O'Reilly, Center-Windsor
James Neal, Left Wing-Plymouth
Derek Joslin, Defense-Ottawa
Kenndel McArdle, Left Wing-Moose Jaw
Artem Policarpov, Defense-Moose Jaw

X-SHARKIE

I think the CHL is the best place for top level prospects to devolope, your go to prospects because they are facing the best talent at there age level 70 plus times a year.

I go to about 12 USHL games in Greenbay a year and I like the hockey alot, but it's no where near the level of the CHL IMO.

I would also say CHL>NCAA, but it all depends on the player IMO.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
markov` said:
Chicoutimi Sagueneens' goalie, Alexandre Vincent, is incredible. Way better than Mior if you ask me.

To be fair, Mior's played one game this year, where he got shelled, but one bad game is just one game. Vincent I like a lot and I can't say who is better imo, as Mior doesn't have the size of Vincet, and I'd be happy if the Habs had either one. I would think Mior will start to get more time as I'd be surprised if Boutin plays this good all season since his numbers are outstanding and PEI's defense isn't. It will be interesting to see how Mior rebounds from the shelling he got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad