Speculation: Top 6 Winger to the Leafs

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
If teams were this simple minded they wouldn't bother enjoying pro scouts. Rakell is very much still the same player based on the eye test and underlying numbers. His production is severely hindered by his surroundings and that's painfully obvious to anyone paying attention. The two 30 goal years represent the last time he had another top line player on the team. Take any current 30 goal guy and plunk them in Anaheim's lineup, and their production immediately will take a hit.

That aside, even 50 point winger has a fair bit of value. Rakell in a down year produces more than guys like Coleman and Kapanen at their best. No reason to think he wouldn't fetch as much or more.
I think Rakell would be a great addition to the Leafs but if we are going to move 1 or more of our top prospects there are other players I would rather toss a big futures pkg at 1st.
Hertl
Forsberg
Hall
Iafallo
Foligno
then Rakell

Reactions: uncleben

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I see your point, but this is the most near-perfect choice to add to the top 6. The choices are so narrow as it is. These players have to be available in the first place.

I am not head strong on moving Nylander, but at the same time it does allow for a lot more flexibility. Also it allows for not just 1 or 2 players, but many. I say that because Nylander is not a bum and his contract is good. Dubas cannot not offer up Kerfoot and hope to get Krieder. If Dubas wants good quality, then some quality has to go the other way.

As of this reply they are 1st overall in the NHL, that could change tonight but even if it did they would be 2nd.

You don't trade Nylander when you are 1st or 2nd overall in the NHL

Reactions: Menzinger

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Connor Brown playing with Matthews or Johnny easily puts up 50. That's worth a late 1st, especially at the deadline when prices become steeper.

You have to have shown, at least a couple times in your career, that you're capable of putting up 50, before a team is forced to value as such in a trade.

That's why the interest in Rackell. He's scored 33 and 35 goals playing in a similar situation in Anaheim to what Brown is facing in Ottawa... And they make virtually the same money and are the same age. One is a bonafide scorer. The other is a career third liner who is producing because he plays on a terrible team, for whom somebody has to score.

I'd do a 2nd round pick and B prospect if Ottawa retained 50%.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
You have to to have shown, at least a couple times in your career, that you're capable of putting up 50, before a team is forced to value as such in a trade.

That's why the interest in Rackell. He's scored 33 and 35 goals playing in a similar situation in Anaheim to what Brown is facing in Ottawa... And they make virtually the same money. One is a bonafide scorer. The other is a career third liner who is producing because he plays on a terrible team, for whom somebody has to score.

Rakell will cost you a lot more than a 1st; probably need to add either Sandin/Robertson or Liljegren+

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Rakell will cost you a lot more than a 1st; probably need to add either Sandin/Robertson or Liljegren+

Yes he will. A 1st plus, a top 5-6 prospect, and likely, Engvall to make the money work. That's the price you pay for a guy sho could threaten for 30-35 goals playing in Toronto's top 6 and getting top PP minutes over Kerfoot.

To Ottawa
2nd round pick 2021
4th round pick 2022 or B prospect

To Toronto
Connor Brown (50% retained).

What say you?

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Yes he will. A 1st plus, a top 5-6 prospect, and likely, Engvall to make the money work. That's the price you pay for a guy sho could threaten for 30-35 goals playing in Toronto's top 6 and getting top PP minutes over Kerfoot.

To Ottawa
2nd round pick 2021
4th round pick 2022 or B prospect

To Toronto
Connor Brown (50% retained).

What say you?

If I were GM; I'd say no retention and it's a deal
If you want 50% retention; a 1st and 3rd

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Why did we trade away Johnsson and Kapanen? lol. If anything we have an abundance of forwards when healthy all vying for playing time

Reactions: Petrus

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
thats crazy!! 1st+Sandin+Engvall is what I would expect for Hall@50%
hell even guys like Hertl, Forsberg may be available for a pkg like that

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Hoping it'd be Rakell (at 50% would be really nice), or maybe Iafallo, Palmieri, Granlund... Robertson has to be off the table, hopefully Sandin too. Other than that I think the Leafs should be willing to listen to what the other team is interested in despite what they may like in what they have. Love Niemela & Amirov is good, but if one is a crucial part of the demand for something like Rakell @50% so be it.

Sandin/Niemela included could bite them (just have a hunch that Niemela will be good). I'd hope for something like 2021 1st + Liljegren (or whatever prospect) + sweetener(s) if that's what it takes to get it done. Rakell at 50% for 1.5 years, super versatile at all three positions, has gotta have a large cost & high demand with the state of the Cap.

For Rakell @50%, What would need to be added to packages like:

1. Leafs 2021 1st, Liljegren
2. Amirov
3. Leafs 2021 1st, Hirvonen, Abramov

?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I see your point, but this is the most near-perfect choice to add to the top 6. The choices are so narrow as it is. These players have to be available in the first place.

I am not head strong on moving Nylander, but at the same time it does allow for a lot more flexibility. Also it allows for not just 1 or 2 players, but many. I say that because Nylander is not a bum and his contract is good. Dubas cannot not offer up Kerfoot and hope to get Krieder. If Dubas wants good quality, then some quality has to go the other way.

The Leafs ar looking to add a piece though, not do a significant midseason retool of their forward core.

They're likely targeting a guy with a aav that they can maneuver around (via moving guys like Engvall/Kerfoot and/or salary retention) rather than an expensive piece anyways

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Hoping it'd be Rakell (at 50% would be really nice), or maybe Iafallo, Palmieri, Granlund... Robertson has to be off the table, hopefully Sandin too. Other than that I think the Leafs should be willing to listen to what the other team is interested in despite what they may like in what they have. Love Niemela & Amirov is good, but if one is a crucial part of the demand for something like Rakell @50% so be it.

Sandin/Niemela included could bite them (just have a hunch that Niemela will be good). I'd hope for something like 2021 1st + Liljegren (or whatever prospect) + sweetener(s) if that's what it takes to get it done. Rakell at 50% for 1.5 years, super versatile at all three positions, has gotta have a large cost & high demand with the state of the Cap.

For Rakell @50%, What would need to be added to packages like:

1. Leafs 2021 1st, Liljegren
2. Amirov
3. Leafs 2021 1st, Hirvonen, Abramov

?

I just don't think a deal will get done with a 1st being on the table. We had to include a first to get rid of Marleu (stupid Lou) and that cost us our 13th pick which ended up being Seth Jarvis, so I don't think Kyle does that.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

yeah thats a pretty easy no then. thats the price of a 35-40g winger, not a guy who has dropped to 18, 15, and now 1 in 15 games

If the ducks asked Robertson/Sandin + a 1st leafs probably block their # because thats junk

Reactions: TopChedder

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I just don't think a deal will get done with a 1st being on the table. We had to include a first to get rid of Marleu (stupid Lou) and that cost us our 13th pick which ended up being Seth Jarvis, so I don't think Kyle does that.

they did get a 1st from Kap tho, which was Amirov.
I dont think Dubas will have any hesitation trading a 1st for the right player.
I dont think Rakell moves the needle enough though, especially if ducks fans also want sandin/robertson lol

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013

If Kyle gives up a first he won't add Roberston/Sandin/Lilly.

In a flat cap world we will not be destroying our future. The greatest thing we do is draft and the future is bright the next few years.

I would just pass on that trade and save more important assets.

Reactions: Halla

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
yeah thats a pretty easy no then. thats the price of a 35-40g winger, not a guy who has dropped to 18, 15, and now 1 in 15 games

If the ducks asked Robertson/Sandin + a 1st leafs probably block their # because thats junk
Ya rakell isnt bringing back sandin/roberton + 1st, i agree.

I think the most it would be from toronto is

1st + Liljegren
or
1st + Abramov/hirvonen/ Villeneuve and some sort of small add... pending retention and what not.

I also think some leaf fans are over valuing their 1st a bit too much saying Dubas wont move it... there is a good chance they are going to stay around top 5 team in the league... if you can get another good piece to add to the roster for this year or even 2 years of playoffs... dubas will pull the trigger, the chance of a pick in 20-32 range being anything significant isnt very high, and the leafs scouts have shown they can kill it in rounds 2-7, so i really dont see dubas worried bout using it to add to the current roster.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Our powerplay is near the top of the league and can't find enough minutes for guys. Meanwhile our PK is bottom 10 and having Kerfoot, Vesey, Speeza as the #4-6 PK forwards in minutes is a major reason why.

Adding a guy who can be trusted to be among our top 4 PK forwards should be a must (in addition to adding some 5 on 5 offence). Added bonus if the guy is also a C to shift Kerfoot to the wing and not having Speeza having to take as many key PK faceoffs.

Some guys who are trusted to be among the top 4 PK forwards on their team and can also bring some offence that are pending UFAs this year:

Nick Bonino 4.1 cap hit
Travis Zajac 5.75 cap hit
Kyle Palmieri 4.65 cap hit
Mikael Granlund 3,75 cap hit
Alex Iafallo 2.45 cap hit

I think this is the correct take. Granlund would be awesome, but even at 50% (assuming you want him in the top 6) I dont know how you make it work unless you have a trade set where Kerfoot goes and brings back another 3C who is less than 2.5m.

Of course every team could use a Rakell or Hall or (insert legit offensive top 6 guy), but I don't think the Leafs should give up what would be required.

The Leafs are uniqe, more than anything else they need a second Zach Hyman type guy for the 2LW/RW spot. If you can find someone who meshes well with Tavares-Nylander, you can keep Hyman with Matthews-Nylander.

Guys who make sense in my mind (cheapish, dont need to be offensive juggernauts, good defensive numbers, good Pkers and good puck retrievers) on teams that may be interested in picks, good prospects etc.

- Brendan Lemieux *#3
- Alex Iafallo *#4
- Miles Wood *my ideal
- Nick Paul *#2

And one guy who may be on the 'outs' with his team (not likely), who is above average defensively and solid offensively.
-Tomas Tatar - He was healthy scratched against the Leafs. May just be a small blip, but if its a bigger thing he could be a good add.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad