Top 50 prospects after the draft?

hskates21*

What makes you say that? I haven't read anything that says he hasn't improved.

Sounds like your just trashing him to make Nino look better.

Well I obviously can't see him play so I'm just going by the all reliable points and his point totals havent increased and yes I am trashing him to make niño look better

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Well I obviously can't see him play so I'm just going by the all reliable points and his point totals havent increased and yes I am trashing him to make niño look better

You do realize he was out this year due to various injuries but still managed to dominate right?

jerseyislander22

Jul 11, 2011
The "Dirty" Jersey
Granlund is small so unless he can prove that he can handle the full season getting smacked around by the real big boys he should be ranked lower... he's a versatile and skilled play maker great prospect and should be a good NHLer. He doesn't need to get trashed I'd say Nino is better not trying to be a homer I value a big goal scoring power forward over a smallish playmaker

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

Lets list some accomplishments that Granlund has done: was a key player on the Finnish WJC team, help lead his team in the FEL to the championship team and co-lead the team in playoff scoring.

I honestly don't follow Nino so I do not know whether he improved or not but everything I see and read about Granlund is that he has improved this season and has become more than just a gifted young player; he has become a key player for his team in one of the best leagues in Europe and has become a key player for his national team.

Plus, Granlund is 5'10 185lbs who isn't afraid to get physical. Last time I check, 185lbs at that height is reasonably bulky.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Granlund is small so unless he can prove that he can handle the full season getting smacked around by the real big boys he should be ranked lower... he's a versatile and skilled play maker great prospect and should be a good NHLer. He doesn't need to get trashed I'd say Nino is better not trying to be a homer I value a big goal scoring power forward over a smallish playmaker

I understand what you are saying but what if that smallish playermaker played like he was 6'2, did not shy away from giving or taking a hit, and had the hockey sense to get in the right place at the right time while not get knocked around? That is Mikael Granlund.

But of course, in the end, both Nino and Granlund will have to prove their abilities at the NHL level, but I don't think we can downplay these 2 guys because they are both just that good

hskates21*

You do realize he was out this year due to various injuries but still managed to dominate right?

He still played about the same number of games as his first season so I don't know what that has to do with anything

jerseyislander22

Jul 11, 2011
The "Dirty" Jersey
I understand what you are saying but what if that smallish playermaker played like he was 6'2, did not shy away from giving or taking a hit, and had the hockey sense to get in the right place at the right time while not get knocked around? That is Mikael Granlund.

But of course, in the end, both Nino and Granlund will have to prove their abilities at the NHL level, but I don't think we can downplay these 2 guys because they are both just that good

i haven't seen the kid play so if thats the case then it helps his case just have to see how they both adapt to playing in the NHL great prospects and great junior careers mean nothing if you can't handle the NHL. They are both great talents and should have great careers. Couple of years will tell the true story

Temego

Mar 8, 2011
i haven't seen the kid play so if thats the case then it helps his case just have to see how they both adapt to playing in the NHL great prospects and great junior careers mean nothing if you can't handle the NHL. They are both great talents and should have great careers. Couple of years will tell the true story

That's the point

Granlund's junior career ended when he was 16, and Nino's havent even ended yet. We're arguing that Granlund is a better prospect exactly because he has alreasdy proven to be able to dominate against men, unlike Niederreiter.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

Well, that is why we are rating prospects. :) You can never get it right. Couple of years, we'll be rating players, which is a totally different ball game

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
That's the point

Granlund's junior career ended when he was 16, and Nino's havent even ended yet. We're arguing that Granlund is a better prospect exactly because he has alreasdy proven to be able to dominate against men, unlike Niederreiter.

Granlund is no more proven than Nino. Until either one of them proves that they can play on an NHL rink and dominate, neither are proven at all. Just because Granlund plays in a mens league, which at best is the 5th best league in the world, doesn't mean he will be a great player (4 better leagues NHL, KHL, SEL, AHL). The argument that Granlund is more proven is ridiculous, it's like me saying that Nino is more proven because he has adjusted to the North American sized rinks. Nothing matters until they make the NHL.

Both are great prospects, and no need to trash either of them, I personally take Nino on my team because he fits better with the Islanders needs and he is a safer pick IMO. I could see why people would take Granlund because of his playmaking abilities. Only time will tell who is better.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Granlund is no more proven than Nino. Until either one of them proves that they can play on an NHL rink and dominate, neither are proven at all. Just because Granlund plays in a mens league, which at best is the 5th best league in the world, doesn't mean he will be a great player (4 better leagues NHL, KHL, SEL, AHL). The argument that Granlund is more proven is ridiculous, it's like me saying that Nino is more proven because he has adjusted to the North American sized rinks. Nothing matters until they make the NHL.

Both are great prospects, and no need to trash either of them, I personally take Nino on my team because he fits better with the Islanders needs and he is a safer pick IMO. I could see why people would take Granlund because of his playmaking abilities. Only time will tell who is better.

No more proven than Nino? Granlund is best u-20 player ever in FEL, his stats are unseen for player of his age in this league. Centered first line to win the FEL title and was best player at the playoffs. Don't forget that FEL is most physical league in europe and game pace is fastest, but the skill level isn't level of SEL and KHL. Faced actualy NHL-players at WC and made huge impact and some times it was domination. Even canada couldn't crack russian defence with their strong roster but granlund made them look foolish few times.

Granlund

WC gold - Key player against NHLer's, TOP 3 player, best PP player of finnish national team.
FEL title - Key player, 1st line center, arguably best player of playoffs.

Nino
what he has done?

I actualy think that Granlund would be better for islanders, JT+MG would be very lethal in NHL.

This clip is from semifinal against russia who has NHL stars like Kovy, ovechkin. Granlund was clearly the best player on the ice and there was times when he dominated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U142SU_doUI

Last edited:

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
No because granlund is a ****ing midget and hasn't improved compared to his draft year while niño has

:shakehead

Granlund has improved like maniac. You don't see that improvement reading stats but looking at his game makes you wow. I'm sure he will destroy SM-liiga in 2011-12 season

His play includes so much small and clever decisions... His hockey IQ is unbelieveable.

He makes his linemates much better than they really are

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
No more proven than Nino? Granlund is best u-20 player ever in FEL, his stats are unseen for player of his age in this league. Centered first line to win the FEL title and was best player at the playoffs. Don't forget that FEL is most physical league in europe and game pace is fastest, but the skill level isn't level of SEL and KHL. Faced actualy NHL-players at WC and made huge impact and some times it was domination. Even canada couldn't crack russian defence with their strong roster but granlund made them look foolish few times.

Granlund

WC gold - Key player against NHLer's, TOP 3 player, best PP player of finnish national team.
FEL title - Key player, 1st line center, arguably best player of playoffs.

Nino
what he has done?

I actualy think that Granlund would be better for islanders, JT+MG would be very lethal in NHL.

Strome+JT+Nino=great combo. Again the FEL is not that great of a league, and you saying it is the fastest league in Europe should make it easier for a kid like Grunlund to adjust. It's hard to compare a kid playing in Juniors in North America to a kid playing in an average mens league in Europe. Either way neither are proven in the NHL at all and that's all that matters, until they prove that they can play in the NHL it means nothing. There has been countless players that have put up fantastic numbers in the AHL, SEL, KHL, and than don't do anything in the NHL.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Strome+JT+Nino=great combo. Again the FEL is not that great of a league, and you saying it is the fastest league in Europe should make it easier for a kid like Grunlund to adjust. It's hard to compare a kid playing in Juniors in North America to a kid playing in an average mens league in Europe. Either way neither are proven in the NHL at all and that's all that matters, until they prove that they can play in the NHL it means nothing. There has been countless players that have put up fantastic numbers in the AHL, SEL, KHL, and than don't do anything in the NHL.

The league isn't average it's one of the best in entire world, there have been alot of players who have been great at junior hockey in NA and after that failed, we shouldn't even compare junior leagues to FEL. Granlund have played in higher level than Nino and managed to dominate. Granlund would be lock in wild top 6 this year, if he wanted to come over, GM tried hard to get granlund overseas, even Mikko Koivu said to Granlund he should come over. But yeah we will get to know in few years whos better player, but at this point Granlund is clearly better and more proven. In my eyes Nino is very overrated, i was so high with him at WJC when they won russia, but after that other players has surpassed him and last WJC he was bad, i was hugely disappointed. Tarasenko has surpassed Nino aswell.

Last edited:

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
The league isn't average it's one of the best in entire world, there have been alot of players who have been great at junior hockey in NA and after that failed, we shouldn't even compare junior leagues to FEL. Granlund have played in higher level than Nino and managed to dominate. Granlund would be lock in wild top 6 this year, if he wanted to come over, GM tried hard to get granlund overseas, even Mikko Koivu said to Granlund he should come over. But yeah we will get to know in few years whos better player, but at this point Granlund is clearly better and more proven. In my eyes Nino is very overrated, i was so high with him at WJC when they won russia, but after that other players has surpassed him and last WJC he was bad, i was hugely disappointed. Tarasenko has surpassed Nino aswell.

FEL is not a great league at all, At best it is the #5 league in the world, Nino would likely put up similar numbers there. I don't know how you can say a player who has never played a shift in the NHL is more proven than another prospect who plays on another continent, that you have likely seen play 5 times at most. Granlund is not clearly better at all, they are completely different players, and are both blue chip prospects. Stop being such a homer (whether you are Finnish or a Wild fan or both).

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
FEL is not a great league at all, At best it is the #5 league in the world, Nino would likely put up similar numbers there. I don't know how you can say a player who has never played a shift in the NHL is more proven than another prospect who plays on another continent, that you have likely seen play 5 times at most. Granlund is not clearly better at all, they are completely different players, and are both blue chip prospects. Stop being such a homer (whether you are Finnish or a Wild fan or both).

Nino would put similar numbers? you sure? Granlunds number is best numbers in FEL as a u-20 ever. I wouldn't be so sure about it. Granlund dominated at WC against NHLers, Nino? your a homer here, i can't see Nino being even close to Granlund he is very overrated. Ryan Johansen, Tarasenko, Rundblad they are close to Granlund or even better. At best FEL is 4th best league in the world and that is not bad league, you haven't watched even a game and made the judgement. It's a pretty good league. Nino didn't even have better PPG and wasn't able to dominate at WJC against juniors than Granlund against NHLers at WC. This should be very clear. I'm from finland yes but i don't need homerism in this case. I'm not fan of any NHL team, i cheer for the underdogs. I used to be Jets fan when i was a kid after than i was used to be huge stars fan but now i like pred's and st. louis.

Last edited:

aqsw

PM
Dec 11, 2004
Winnipeg

From an outsider, it looks like you are the homer.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Nino would put similar numbers? you sure? Granlunds number is best numbers in FEL as a u-20 ever. I wouldn't be so sure about it. Granlund dominated at WC against NHLers, Nino? your a homer here, i can't see Nino being even close to Granlund he is very overrated. Ryan Johansen, Tarasenko, Rundblad they are close to Granlund or even better. At best FEL is 4th best league in the world and that is not bad league, you haven't watched even a game and made the judgement. It's a pretty good league. Nino didn't even have better PPG and wasn't able to dominate at WJC against juniors than Granlund against NHLers at WC. This should be very clear.

Well we will never know who would put up better numbers in that league since Nino will likely never play there. I never said the FEL is a bad league, I just don't think its a great league. These 2 kids took entirely different development paths, it's not a bad thing that Niederrieter came oversees to play in north america and learn the north american game, and it's not a bad thing that Granlund stayed in Europe to develop against men. Simply 2 different development paths that they took. I think they are very close and I can see why someone would take Granlund, but I can see why someone would prefer Niederrieter. The World Cup and WJC are such short tournaments anything can happen. Sure Nino didn't do great this year, but what about the year before? He carried the Swiss on his back the entire tournament.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
FEL is not a great league at all, At best it is the #5 league in the world, Nino would likely put up similar numbers there.

Now this is a bold statement. How on earth can you say anything about Nino's numbers if he played in FEL when at the same time you are saying, that we can't say anything about their adjustment to the NHL game. Also your fact "at best it is the #5 league in the world" is created in your biased head. Your logic and love for Nino seem to fail you.

The other has led his country to world championship playing better hockey than the team captain Mikko Koivu and his FEL team to championship by superior play-off performance. The other is less proven, maybe just a tiny bit less proven, but my feeling is "it's not even close"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad