8. Evgeny Kuznetsov
9. Adam Larsson
10. Gabriel Laneskog
11. Brett Connolly
12. Ryan Ellis

13. Ryan Murphy
14. Nazem Kadri
15. Ryan Johansen

Never was a fan of the portland winterhawks... also I don't think ryan strome is a top 15 prospect

Should be

11. Johansen
12. Kadri
13. Murphy
14. Connolly
15. Ellis

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Should be

11. Johansen
12. Kadri
13. Murphy
14. Connolly
15. Ellis

Connolly had exactly the year he needed to have to justify his draft ranking. I don't see why Kadri would be ahead of him. That being said, I also don't agree with how high Tarasenko and Landeskog are, but whatever.

JT91

Dec 11, 2009
Riverhead
1. RNH
2. Jonathan Huberdeau
3. Oliver Ekman-Larsson
4.David Rundblad
5. Mikael Granlund
6. Brayden Schenn
7. Vladimir Tarasenko
8. Evgeny Kuznetsov
9. Adam Larsson
10. Gabriel Laneskog
11. Brett Connolly
12. Ryan Ellis
13. Ryan Murphy
14. Nazem Kadri
15. Ryan Johansen

Never was a fan of the portland winterhawks... also I don't think ryan strome is a top 15 prospect

Wow nino is better prospect then granlund

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
1. RNH
2. Jonathan Huberdeau
3. Oliver Ekman-Larsson
4.David Rundblad
5. Mikael Granlund
6. Brayden Schenn
7. Vladimir Tarasenko
8. Evgeny Kuznetsov
9. Adam Larsson
10. Gabriel Laneskog
11. Brett Connolly
12. Ryan Ellis
13. Ryan Murphy
14. Nazem Kadri
15. Ryan Johansen

Why don't you just say you are biased against the Islanders, Nino is easily a top 15 prospect, and Strome is probably around 10-15.

Also no way Murphy is a top 15 prospect, there is a reason he went #13 in the draft. Johansen is a beast and is easily a top 5 prospect.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
These are in no particuliar order.

FORWARDS
Brayden Schenn PHI
Gabriel Landeskog COL
Nino Niederreiter NYI
Ryan Johansen CBJ
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins EDM
Mika Zibanejad OTT
Jonathan Huberdeau FLA
Ryan Strome NYI
Brett Connolly TBL
Vladimir Tarasenko STL
Evgeny Kuznetsov WSH
Mikael Granlund MIN

DEFENSE
Adam Larsson NJD
David Rundblad OTT
Jared Cowen OTT
Erik Gudbranson FLA
Ryan Ellis NSH
Stefan Elliott COL
Brendan Smith DET
Brandon Gormley PHX
Dougie Hamilton BOS
Duncan Siemens COL
Oscar Klefbom EDM
Nathan Beaulieu MTL

GOALIES
Jonathan Bernier LAK (If you can still count him)
Jacob Markstrom FLA
Jack Campbell DAL
Jake Allen STL
Braden Holtby WSH
John Gibson ANA

de Hann Hamonic and Poulin Get no love??

Temego

Mar 8, 2011
Why not?

Nino was ranked higher going into the draft and is still ranked higher by pretty much every scouting service.

I dont think ANY NHL team would take Nino over Granlund at the moment. Niederreiter didnt look very good in his few games in the NHL (Yeah I dont have the possibility watch NA junior hockey) while Granlund

- Led his team to SM-liga championship (while leading playoff scoring)
- Racked up 9 points (Most of them highlight-reel goals/assists) and won the WC gold
- Improved greatly his skating which was considered as a weakness before

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Nino was ranked higher going into the draft and is still ranked higher by pretty much every scouting service.

When was that before or after the WC?

So you're telling me, you would want Phaneuf over Weber because he was ranked higher going into the draft?

Ranks don't matter, it's how you produce after you are drafted that matters.

Neiderreiter is a 19 year old playing against guys 17-19 years of age. He's done better but Granlund did a lot more against guys 20-30 years old.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009

So you're telling me, you would want Phaneuf over Weber because he was ranked higher going into the draft?

Neiderreiter is a 19 year old playing against guys 17-19 years of age. He's done better but Granlund did a lot more against guys 20-30 years old.

Granlund were best player at FEL at playoffs i was very disappointed when he didn't win FEL's MVP of the playoffs award. He was top 3 player of team finland at WC and would be lock at the olympics if they would been held this year, i think Nino would have hard time to crack into swiss roster at olympics/world cup. Offensively he is better than Mikko Koivu and Tuomo ruutu at this point, and he is plus two way player aswell. Not as good as Koivu but with his hockey sense he has which is best of all prospects helps him alot at defensive zone. He has also best vision of all prospect, he sees the ice very well, setting up via end boards from center ice and doing sick saucer passes which i haven't seen before even at NHL. Nino is faster, bigger but Granlund beats him in everything else, It's easy to gain power and speed but impossible to gain hockey IQ and vision much at their age. Granlund would be lock in top 6 this year for Wild's but he didn't want to come over because he wanted to finish school and army so he have not any worries anymore when he comes over. That tells how intelligent he is.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

There is a big difference between 1 year after the draft and about 7 years after a players draft. Obviously Weber is a better player than Phaneuf.

Granlund may be a better playmaker, but Nino is a sniper/powerforward. I would take Nino over Granlund because it will be much easier for Nino to break into the league with how big of a kid he is, and Granlund is about 5'8 ~165lbs, he's very small. I'm not saying Granlund won't make the NHL and be successful, but there is a much bigger risk for injuries and his play not translating well, compared to Nino.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
There is a big difference between 1 year after the draft and about 7 years after a players draft. Obviously Weber is a better player than Phaneuf.

Granlund may be a better playmaker, but Nino is a sniper/powerforward. I would take Nino over Granlund because it will be much easier for Nino to break into the league with how big of a kid he is, and Granlund is about 5'8 ~165lbs, he's very small. I'm not saying Granlund won't make the NHL and be successful, but there is a much bigger risk for injuries and his play not translating well, compared to Nino.

Granlund is about 5'11 180-185lbs, You take Nino because you are islander fan :P. Granlund have played with full grown mens for 2 years in 3rd most physical league in whole world behind NHL and AHL. Size has never been issue for him, he plays bigger than he is, works hard and has very high hockey IQ. The biggest problem for granlund to adjust into NA rink and game pace. Nino has to adjust game against adults, Granlund isn't risky pick at all, you haven't seen enough of Granlund. Granlund would be top 6 player this year if he wanted. How about Nino? Granlund has higher ceiling and Granlund is better overall player, and is more proven. There's no way that Nino is over Granlund. Not even close Granlund is better player at defense and offense. Size wasn't issue against NHLer's at the WC, NHL defenders/ex NHL defenders had huge problems to strip him off the puck without getting penalty. Granlund has won so much before even turning 20 being crucial player for his team. People seem to forget it. Mentally very strong kid, when the pressure is higher the better performance. I don't say who is better in the future because i can't tell how both developes but at this point Granlund is way better player, maybe it's hard to admit as a islander fan. You can't learn hockey sense much anymore at 19 but you can get stronger very easily. If granlund was soft then i would be worried but Granlund plays with high intensity and gives huge hits.

here's season 09-10 highlights of Granlund http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8lYCTQRabU . Very nice hits against grown men.

Last edited:

enthropi

Nov 2, 2007
Beijing, China

You're in denial, that's all.

(plus Granlund was 5'10" and 180 lbs at his NHL draft combine, not too small, see: Skinner, Jeff)

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

Not going to argue for or against Nino, because I can see the argument against Granlund. Nino is a very good prospect.

But your logic is soooo flawed. 1 year matters IN A BIG WAY. No one knew who the hell Hurbeadeu was last season (selected 3rd overall) , no one knew who Ryan Johansen (selected 4th overall) was before his draft year, and if I must pick a post-draft example for you, would you say Skinner's one post draft year was awesome?

Every single day and every single game matters when it comes to development.

Last edited:

Doug Height

Okposwag
Feb 17, 2008
LI

OK, never said either one or the other was better, just wanted to ask a question.

I'm not even a big Nino fan, I think him and Granlund are pretty close. It's hard to compare two prospects playing in different countries though.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Kadri has to be in the top 13-15.

I'd say B Schenn maintains the #1 spot. RNH isnt the top prospect people, dont let his draft number fool you, there are better prospects out there.
Brayden Schenn does not project to be a better player than Nugent-Hopkins in any "professional" scouts mind. Its not who had the better season/tournament; it's who has the potential to be the better player.

brtriad

Jan 18, 2009
The Loop
Not a snowballs chance in hell that Huberdeau is the #2 overall prospect. I'd put the Nuge and Lando over Schenn.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Stefan Elliott COL

How good is Stephan Elliot? Seems like he got no love from the Canadian junior team. I know the Islanders this year drafted a defenseman who had the exact same amount of points as Elliot in 7 less games in the 5th round so that goes to show you putting up points in junior doesn't always equal success

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
How good is Stephan Elliot? Seems like he got no love from the Canadian junior team. I know the Islanders this year drafted a defenseman who had the exact same amount of points as Elliot in 7 less games in the 5th round so that goes to show you putting up points in junior doesn't always equal success

He's not all that one dimensional though, and if I'm not mistaken he was a top 50 prospect in the last rankings.

Doug Height

Okposwag
Feb 17, 2008
LI
No because granlund is a ****ing midget and hasn't improved compared to his draft year while niño has

What makes you say that? I haven't read anything that says he hasn't improved.

Sounds like your just trashing him to make Nino look better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad