Top 50 players in the league #20

Who is the 20th best player in the league?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
For better or worse Ovechkin claims spot #19, time to round out the Top-20.

The ranking thus far:

(16F-2D-1G)

1) Connor McDavid
2) Nikita Kucherov
3) Nathan MacKinnon
4) Leon Draisaitl
5) Victor Hedman
6) Auston Matthews
7) Artemi Panarin
8) Sidney Crosby
9) Andrei Vasilevskiy
10) Aleksander Barkov
11) Patrick Kane
12) Brad Marchand
13) Cale Makar
14) Jack Eichel
15) Brayden Point
16) David Pastrnak
17) Mikko Rantanen
18) Jonathan Huberdeau
19) Alexander Ovechkin

Suggestions on who to add are also welcome.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
*I forgot to include Alex Pietrangelo in the poll. I'll add him back next round but in the meantime I'll accept write-in votes for him.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Stone for me.... Consistent and the best 2 way winger in the game

Same. 14th in the league in 5v5 points since he came to Vegas and a much better 2-way player than most ahead of him on that list. He's a top 20 player for sure. Having Rantanen ahead of him is a complete joke and got no statistical basis to it.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’ll take the Norris winner here. Fox.
Would have taken Pietro a few spots ago too.
A number one D is valuable especially in the playoffs.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Add McAvoy ... I'd honestly only take Fox over him here. I know he was an option at some point, not sure what rules you have to take people off the list.

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
Funny how Fox was voted 3rd best defenseman in the league on here but can't crack the top19 among all players. Makar #2 among defensemen but is 13th here.

Vasilevski getting massively overrated. In no way shape or form is he a top10 player in the league.

Reactions: gump116

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Funny how Fox was voted 3rd best defenseman in the league on here but can't crack the top19 among all players. Makar #2 among defensemen but is 13th here.

Vasilevski getting massively overrated. In no way shape or form is he a top10 player in the league.

Goalies, Dmen and forward should be separate on these polls IMO.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
Goalies, Dmen and forward should be separate on these polls IMO.

I tend to look at this list like a draft ranking - if you had an expansion team or a whole league starting from scratch and every player was available, who do you pick? Certain stats might not be directly comparable but I think overall value, as intangible as that is, can be measured on the aggregate.

Reactions: majormajor

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I tend to look at this list like a draft ranking - if you had an expansion team or a whole league starting from scratch and every player was available, who do you pick? Certain stats might not be directly comparable but I think overall value, as intangible as that is, can be measured on the aggregate.

I understand your point, but at the same time I think these are two very different questions.

Who are the best players?
Who would you start a franchise with?

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
Considering he's a top 4 offensive player in the game, and didn't even play with Zibanejad this year, I don't see what argument Barkov has.

Did you see who Barkov played with this year? Maybe you haven’t heard of the stud Mason Marchment.

And even if Panarin is slightly, very slightly better offensively, defensively he’s not even on the same planet.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I do as well throwing everyone in the mix next season for a '"one year building of a team like exercise".

That's why some of the choices have been especially poor IMO as they appear career driven or last 2 or even 3 years and don't consider age or actual play, often more of a fantasy hockey pool evaluation rather than a real one.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Did you see who Barkov played with this year? Maybe you haven’t heard of the stud Mason Marchment.

And even if Panarin is slightly, very slightly better offensively, defensively he’s not even on the same planet.

Panarin paced for almost 20 more points this year. He's more than slightly better offensively

Reactions: amnesiac

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad