Top 5 picks in 2011 draft [MOD EDIT: from Jan 2011]

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
If the standings today were the final standings, I wouldn't be surprised to see Boston trade down with the Sabres. That way the Sabres draft RNH at #3, and Boston can grab Ryan Murphy at 5, plus get a pick or something else out of it.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
While I won't predict what teams will pick where, and their rationale for each pick (since it's too hard to say), here are the 5 guys I think are the five best at this point:

1. Adam Larsson
2. Sean Couturier
3. Gabriel Landeskog
4. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
5. Duncan Siemens

Topp Spin

STIHL 286
Dec 4, 2010
Alberta
Nugent-Hopkins is small and weak. He's got a hell of a lot of talent, but imo, if he does develop to be a solid point producing nhl'er, he'll need more than a few years in the minors to develop...

Kind of reminds me of a Kyle Turris. If it was me I'd take Nugent-Hopkins no higher than 5th or 6th overall...

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
So hyothetically... If I'm buffalo and I'm fourth overall by the end of the season... What's it gonna take to move up to 1st or 2nd overall to get Couturier? I'm lookin at you Islander and Devil fans.

From a devils fan. If the Devils have the 1st overall pick then I would probably want Buffalo's 2nd round pick and 4rth overall pick.

I would also be willing to offer back the Devils 4rth round pick (I would offer a 3rd round pick, but we don't have it), 2012 3rd round pick or a third round quality prospect, maybe Tyler Eckford or Mike Hoeffel.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Nugent-Hopkins is small and weak. He's got a hell of a lot of talent, but imo, if he does develop to be a solid point producing nhl'er, he'll need more than a few years in the minors to develop...

Kind of reminds me of a Kyle Turris. If it was me I'd take Nugent-Hopkins no higher than 5th or 6th overall...

So you think he will need 4+ years to become an NHLer? He could just as easily end up like Matt Duchene and be playing at a high level 2 years after the draft, no one really knows.

He will probably end up 6'0-6'1 going into the combine, which isn't all that small, he just doesn't have the NHL weight...a solid summer of working out, perhaps going back to Red Deer, and then ANOTHER hard summer of working out and he could very well be in the NHL by 20

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
From a devils fan. If the Devils have the 1st overall pick then I would probably want Buffalo's 2nd round pick and 4rth overall pick.

I would also be willing to offer back the Devils 4rth round pick (I would offer a 3rd round pick, but we don't have it), 2012 3rd round pick or a third round quality prospect, maybe Tyler Eckford or Mike Hoeffel.

Wow. I thought it would take more than that. But as a Buffalo fan I'd be willing to part with our 2011/1st, 2011/2nd, along with Chris Butler or Marc-Andre Gragniani (preferably Butler), and probably either of Jochen Hecht/Paul Gaustad (I understand you have cap problems, but I'm just thinking of guys, obviously Gaustad is cheaper, but just putting it out there)

4Isles4*

I see it the same way, except I see Buffalo picking up a centre. While they have prospect Tyler Ennis, I think they will want a little more. Heck right now with Derek Roy out, there best center is Rob Niedermayer (at best an aging third line center). Maybe Ryan Strome. Or trade up with the Bruins (Who could use a smaller puck-moving defensemen man to play next to Chara as much as a top 6 winger)

I also see Couturier booting Tavaras back to lw, where he belongs rather than playing on his wing. I think Tavaras is more a natural winger than a center.

You are correct if Tavares ever hopes to score 45-50 goals it would only happen on the wing...not as center....
I hear that Couturier has the same negative side as Tavares in that they both are not very strong skaters.....Wouldnt it be bad to have them on the same line....why could Hall be a year younger

Topp Spin

STIHL 286
Dec 4, 2010
Alberta
So you think he will need 4+ years to become an NHLer? He could just as easily end up like Matt Duchene and be playing at a high level 2 years after the draft, no one really knows.

He will probably end up 6'0-6'1 going into the combine, which isn't all that small, he just doesn't have the NHL weight...a solid summer of working out, perhaps going back to Red Deer, and then ANOTHER hard summer of working out and he could very well be in the NHL by 20

I can understand where you're comming from. Duchene at 5'11 and around 200 pounds has certainly developed into a fine NHL player.
Nugent-Hopkins is listed at 160, and from what I've heard and seen of him, that's generous. Putting on 40 pounds and that of muscle for a young guy isn't as tough as it would be for a 20+ year old, but its still around 35-40 pounds he would need to put on, to be competitive in the NHL, and that's quite a bit. I personally think Duchene has more offensive talent than Nugent-Hopkins, and while I believe that he will play in the NHL, I don't think he would be the caliber of someone like Matt Duchene...

Pitlick*

Sorry, Buffalo, move aside...

There's a new team in the bottom 5 after tonight; I'm going by games under .500 to take out the disparity with us having played so many games. :nod:

Here's how I see / hope it goes:

NYI: D Larsson... need a franchise d-man badly, have many top young forwards

NJ: C Couturier... big 2-way franchise centre good way to rebuild / 2nd best player

Edm: C Nugent-Hopkins... needs an offensive wizard centre badly to go with Hemsky, Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi: great young wingers

Bos: D Murphy... the B's need a top end offensive PMD: this guy could put them over the top, make their offense a lot better

Ott: W Landeskog... the next Alfie, a great gift after an awful season, they have great youth on D, little at forward

For people that say Ottawa won't be in the bottom 5, Spezza is out 6 weeks, and we look like one of the worst teams without him (and Leclaire who was playing well), instead of maybe the 10th worst team we would be with a full lineup.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

Just goes to show that you have never seen RNH play live. The kid is slippery, but when he does get bumped, he is still strong on the puck.

Duchene is THE perfect comparison. Very similar players, although RNH is a better playmaker (arguable already).

When RNH puts on 30 pounds he will be almost impossible to stop.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
I can understand where you're comming from. Duchene at 5'11 and around 200 pounds has certainly developed into a fine NHL player.
Nugent-Hopkins is listed at 160, and from what I've heard and seen of him, that's generous. Putting on 40 pounds and that of muscle for a young guy isn't as tough as it would be for a 20+ year old, but its still around 35-40 pounds he would need to put on, to be competitive in the NHL, and that's quite a bit. I personally think Duchene has more offensive talent than Nugent-Hopkins, and while I believe that he will play in the NHL, I don't think he would be the caliber of someone like Matt Duchene...

Ya I understand, and I am biased because I have seen RNH 5x live now, but the kid has an amazing amount of talent and I think he has Matt Duchene potential...he might have slightly less chance to ever reach that potential I suppose, but the kid can do things with the puck that are great plays in the NHL as well...those short 5 feet passes in the offensive zone, very quick foot speed, creates a lot of turnovers and the backcheck with quick sticklifts, etc...all things that kind of remind you of Datsyuk, which is probably why that comparison between the 2 exists around HF

I'm guessing Datsyuk was probably even lighter than RNH is now when he was 17 as well since he is still shorter than RNH is right now...the thing that also looks similar is they are both very allusive and RNH doesn't take very many hits; even when he is cycling down low he manages to allude defenders it's pretty impressive

IMO he has the most offensive potential in the entire draft and if a team is willing to be patient with him and if he is able to progress into the player scouts will project him to be, he will be a very good player, especially if he slips out of the top 3

Topp Spin

STIHL 286
Dec 4, 2010
Alberta
Just goes to show that you have never seen RNH play live. The kid is slippery, but when he does get bumped, he is still strong on the puck.

Duchene is THE perfect comparison. Very similar players, although RNH is a better playmaker (arguable already).

When RNH puts on 30 pounds he will be almost impossible to stop.

No I have never seen him live, but I have seen him play, and saying that he's a better playmaker than Duchene is uncalled for imo. Lets see what the kid can do when he plays against men. He might me slippery and strong on the puck against other 18 year olds, but when he plays against men in the show, its not going to be that easy...

Its easy to say when NH puts on 30 he'll be unstoppable; I personally, highly doubt it. I think the kid is a solid prospect, but I'm not as high on him as a lot of people are. I definitely could be wrong, but thats just the way i see it.

IMO he has the most offensive potential in the entire draft and if a team is willing to be patient with him and if he is able to progress into the player scouts will project him to be, he will be a very good player, especially if he slips out of the top 3

Right, i agree with that. He does have the most offensive upside, but patience is key. He'll need to develop, and IMO, i think his development will take a little bit more time than someone like Duchene.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
No I have never seen him live, but I have seen him play, and saying that he's a better playmaker than Duchene is uncalled for imo. Lets see what the kid can do when he plays against men. He might me slippery and strong on the puck against other 18 year olds, but when he plays against men in the show, its not going to be that easy...

Its easy to say when NH puts on 30 he'll be unstoppable; I personally, highly doubt it. I think the kid is a solid prospect, but I'm not as high on him as a lot of people are. I definitely could be wrong, but thats just the way i see it.

Right, i agree with that. He does have the most offensive upside, but patience is key. He'll need to develop, and IMO, i think his development will take a little bit more time than someone like Duchene.

I will take your opinion with a MASSIVE grain of salt until you actually see him play live buddy.

monkeywrench

May 11, 2010
Edmonton
Sory to bump this but I hpnestly do not think that Renegade Stylings gets enough credit for his scouting his does. He was calling RNH slick playmaker before he even went on the massive points streak that vaulted him into the number 1 ranking, and he has giving us many other scouting reports that have been accurate.
All I want to say is thanks and keep up the good work!

MacWinnon

Jul 2, 2012
Mountains, Somewhere
Sory to bump this but I hpnestly do not think that Renegade Stylings gets enough credit for his scouting his does. He was calling RNH slick playmaker before he even went on the massive points streak that vaulted him into the number 1 ranking, and he has giving us many other scouting reports that have been accurate.

:handclap:
Guy certainly knows his stuff, glad he's an Avs fan.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Yeah RS knows his stuff. He was talking about Nuge quite early. Was really impressed with him saying Nuge's playmaking was already better then Duchene. Gutsy statement to make back then that people probably rolled their eyes reading (at the time) but it was bang on

ozhenson

Jul 26, 2007

Absolutely! Posters like him(assuming male for no particular reason) are the reason that I spend WAY too much time on HF while at work.

You(and ALOT of other posters here) provide more insightful player profiles than can be found anywhere else online or on TV.

Many many thanks!

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
NJD - Couturier
New Jersey needs a centre, Zajac is a number two and a replacement for Parise when he leaves
EDM - Larsson
Need a NHL ready defensemam

BOS - Murphy
Need an offensive D, have too much offense

FLA - RNH

CGY - Landeskog

BUF - Saad

:amazed:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad