Top 5 picks in 2011 draft [MOD EDIT: from Jan 2011]

Dougie Seguin

2011 Cup Champs
May 2, 2010
Massachusetts
It depends what teams are picking where.

But if it was how it was now, which is NYI, NJD, BOS, EDM, BUF. I it similar to your top 5 but i wouldnt be suprised to see Larsson fall to #3 behind Couturier and Landeskog, (Coming from a Bruins fan thats what i hope:D). But i dont think Buffalo will take a DMan that early, they would probably go Center

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

But if it was how it was now, which is NYI, NJD, BOS, EDM, BUF. I it similar to your top 5 but i wouldnt be suprised to see Larsson fall to #3 behind Couturier and Landeskog, (Coming from a Bruins fan thats what i hope:D). But i dont think Buffalo will take a DMan that early, they would probably go Center

I don't blame you for hoping that :laugh:

However, NJ have holes on D and at centre so I highly doubt they would take Landeskog when they already have guys like Parise, Kovy, Tedenby, etc. on wing

Barbadian91

Evgeny Kuznetsov
Aug 4, 2009
Ontario

No way NJD passes up on the chance to draft Larsson. if they draft ahead of Boston you won't be getting him.

if the current standings were the draft order i think it would go like this:

:devils - Adam Larsson, D

Reasoning: Devils biggest weakness this year has been on D. They get the chance to draft a franchise D-man that should be able to make a impact in the 2011-2012 season.

:isles - Sean Couturier, C

Reasoning: Couturier can play both Center and Left Wing and if Bailey finds his game and becomes a #2 center Couturier could play wing on either of Tavares or Bailey lines.

:bruins - Gabriel Landeskog, LW

Reasoning: Bruins need scoring wingers and Landeskog fits perfectly. He adds scoring, grit and skill to a team in need of offense.

:edmonton - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, C

Reasoning: Although RNH isnt a big strong center. He is probably the best player in the draft in terms of skill. The Oilers are pretty weak at center and when you look at the next draft there are a ton of great d-men that they could draft to fill the void on the backend.

:sabres - Ryan Murphy, D

Reasoning: The Sabres need for a puckmoving d-man is obviouse and Murphy could easily fill that void in a year or two. I dont think his size will be a problem on Buffalo especially if he is paired with Tyler Myers.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
No way NJD passes up on the chance to draft Larsson. if they draft ahead of Boston you won't be getting him.

Reasoning: Devils biggest weakness this year has been on D. They get the chance to draft a franchise D-man that should be able to make a impact in the 2011-2012 season.

Reasoning: Couturier can play both Center and Left Wing and if Bailey finds his game and becomes a #2 center Couturier could play wing on either of Tavares or Bailey lines.

Reasoning: Bruins need scoring wingers and Landeskog fits perfectly. He adds scoring, grit and skill to a team in need of offense.

Reasoning: Although RNH isnt a big strong center. He is probably the best player in the draft in terms of skill. The Oilers are pretty weak at center and when you look at the next draft there are a ton of great d-men that they could draft to fill the void on the backend.

Reasoning: The Sabres need for a puckmoving d-man is obviouse and Murphy could easily fill that void in a year or two. I dont think his size will be a problem on Buffalo especially if he is paired with Tyler Myers.

Can Myers or Murphy play LD?

Theyre both RH.

KingJet*

NJD - Couturier
New Jersey needs a centre, Zajac is a number two and a replacement for Parise when he leaves

EDM - Larsson
Need a NHL ready defensemam

BOS - Murphy
Need an offensive D, have too much offense

FLA - RNH

CGY - Landeskog

BUF - Saad

Dougie Seguin

2011 Cup Champs
May 2, 2010
Massachusetts
NJD - Couturier
New Jersey needs a centre, Zajac is a number two and a replacement for Parise when he leaves

EDM - Larsson

BOS - Murphy

FLA - RNH

CGY - Landeskog

BUF - Saad

Boston will be leaving this draft with either Larsson or Landeskog. They will either trade for a PMD or sign one in FA. And they also have Kampfer, Bartkowski and Alexandrov in waiting.

But if we take Landeskog then we will be going D with our 2nd 1st Rounder

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
NJD - Couturier

EDM - Larsson

BOS - Murphy

FLA - RNH

CGY - Landeskog

BUF - Saad

Islanders?:amazed:

KingJet*

I think NYI will rise up to 7-10, but they have good D prospects and they have too much offsensive prospects, but if I were them I go for Hamilton or Siemens, they have a PMD in de Haan and a good 2-way D in Hamonic so all they need is a shut down D-man.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
With the way the standings sit right now I see:

NJD : Larsson
NYI : Coutourier
BOS: Landeskog
EDM: Nugent-Hopkins
BUF: Murphy

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey

I see it the same way, except I see Buffalo picking up a centre. While they have prospect Tyler Ennis, I think they will want a little more. Heck right now with Derek Roy out, there best center is Rob Niedermayer (at best an aging third line center). Maybe Ryan Strome. Or trade up with the Bruins (Who could use a smaller puck-moving defensemen man to play next to Chara as much as a top 6 winger)

I also see Couturier booting Tavaras back to lw, where he belongs rather than playing on his wing. I think Tavaras is more a natural winger than a center.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
So hyothetically... If I'm buffalo and I'm fourth overall by the end of the season... What's it gonna take to move up to 1st or 2nd overall to get Couturier? I'm lookin at you Islander and Devil fans.

Zubrus Coffee Maker

Blinded by my Zubrus
Nov 14, 2008
Cobourg, ON
NJD - Couturier

EDM - Larsson

if the devils pick 1st overall, larsson is definitely coming to newark. they have been building a steady swedish influence with their recent draft picks (bergfors, tedenby, josefson, urbom) and they're biggest need is RH PMD's of which larsson looks to be. from what i hear the organization also thinks that josefson will end up our #2 centre in the future

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
Most Bruins fans are drooling over Landeskog, but I personally want a super skilled guy like Nugent-Hopkins.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Depends on whose drafting where.

1. NJ - Adam Larsson
2. NYI - Sean Couturier
3. BOS - Ryan Murphy
4. EDM - Gabriel Landeskog
5. CGY/BUF - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

NJ I see finishing last no doubt, althouh Couturier fits NJ mold to a tee, with Parise + Kovalchuk I don't see them going after him with a big, mobile defenseman.

I could also see EDM trying to trade with BOS to try and pick a Murphy or Couturier.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB

1. NJ - Adam Larsson
2. NYI - Sean Couturier
3. BOS - Ryan Murphy

NJ I see finishing last no doubt, althouh Couturier fits NJ mold to a tee, with Parise + Kovalchuk I don't see them going after him with a big, mobile defenseman.

I could also see EDM trying to trade with BOS to try and pick a Murphy or Couturier.

I agree with most of this, except the Oilers will never draft another winger, especially with RNH still on the board at #4 IMO. I could see us trying to trade up for Couturier, RNH, or Larsson, depending on who is left and who we like the most, but I have a feeling they want to address the centre position more than D right now.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

1. NJ - Adam Larsson
2. NYI - Sean Couturier
3. BOS - Ryan Murphy

I agree with this order as rankings, but Edmonton would trade down if they had Landeskog and lost both of the top defensemen in the draft. They could get Siemens or another defensemen at 8 or 9.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->