top 5 Owners

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by BenchBrawl, Mar 12, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. BenchBrawl

BenchBrawl joueur de hockey

who are the top 5 owners in term of influence on the league?

2. Fugu

Fugu Guest

Imo,

Jacobs
    Lieweke (representing AEG - Anschutz)
    Snider
    Bill Wirtz -- before he died, not sure about Rocky
    MLSE

I wouldn't put Ilitch on the list. I don't think he gets along with Gary all that well.

3. BenchBrawl

why is Molson not there?

with the cash he brings in and the number of fans of his team?

4. Fugu

Fugu Guest

He's new to the club, and it is an old boys' club. Dolan of the NY Rangers doesn't even go to meetings. He had a kerfuffle with the NHL over website rights, and lost a revenue stream the Rangers had developed when the NHL 'nationalized' team web properties.

5. Roughneck

Roughneck Registered User

Home Page:
    Hotchkiss obviously had a lot of pull for a while being the Chairman of the BOG, but I doubt Murray Edwards and the rest will be able to mimic that when Hotchkiss offloads everything. Harley had the benefit of being in a seat of power in that 'old boys club' to make up for the fact he was an owner for a small-market team.

6. BenchBrawl

is Molson really new , I mean the ties with the molson in the NHL are pretty old even if it's not exactly him.

7. danishh

danishh Registered User

Jacobs
    Snider
    Liewicke
    Peddie/MLSE
    maybe Wirtz Jr, maybe Molson Jr Jr Jr
    ------
    Karmanos
    Hotchkiss/Edwards (flames)
    Leopold (who they seem to love for some reason)

some of the owners that are hard to place are guys like Checketts, Kroenke, Leonsis, Jaimeson, Melnyk.

respected but hated list: Illitch, Dolan, Lou

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  8. King of Arcadia

King of Arcadia Registered User

MLSE? I don't know if I would put them in top 5. I don't think anyone would have a hard time being successful.....off ice that is!!

9. Confucius

Confucius Registered User

In terms of influence...... they bring in alolt of cash, some of it they even give to the league.

10. 2525

2525 R.I.P. Fugu

Snider

Jacobs
    Liewick

everyone else.

11. Ernie

Ernie Registered User

Jacobs is chairman of the board of governors.

A notorious hardliner when it comes to union relations. He basically personifies the stereotype of the "rich old white men" running the league.

12. leoleo3535

leoleo3535 Registered User

Jacobs is the guy that pushed to renew Bettman.
    Molson is not high on the list particularily after they went public on Bettman this week.

It truly is an old boys club which is sad to say the least.

13. thenextone

thenextone Registered User

Leopold is up there. The guys who were bringing in a lot of money were not as close to GB as the owners who were FIXATED on cost-certainty during the lockout.

MLSE, Dolan, Snider etc were doing quite well under the old system and in the past wanted to screw over the small markets.

14. eliostar

eliostar Registered User

I'd say Molson just went to the back of the line, he's even behind the empty
    chair that represents the Coyotes.

15. Rakunitz23

Rakunitz23 Registered User

[​IMG]

Pittsburgh is currently at about 67 million in payroll, and without their 2 best players. Most owners would assume the year is lost, but Mario and Burkle allowed Shero to get Kovalev and Neal so they could be competitive

16. LadyStanley

LadyStanley RIP Fugu

17. Fugu

Fugu Guest

I don't think Dolan belongs on the list anymore, seeing he sued the NHL and lost, and then was countersued, iirc.

I do remember one media report that said he stopped going to league meetings after that.

Lou is very influential as a GM. I think he often sits at the BoG meetings for NJD ownership.

18. LeftCoast

LeftCoast Registered User

Consultant - healthcare
    There was a story in the Globe and Mail that said that during the lockout, Tanenbaum was ready to accept a 25% player salary roll back and a soft cap, but got shouted down by the rest of the owners at the thought of giving up on a hard cap.

If true, that might indicate that MLSE is not as influential as you would think.

I also would bet that there are power alliances or grouping among the owners on various issues.

The western teams have a lot of common issues around travel costs, scheduling and alignment. They would obviously have very different positions than the Atlantic and NE teams.

There is clearly a Canadian - American division as they have a lot at stake with respect to broadcast revenues and exchange rates. There is also likely a small market - big market split.

19. Fugu

Fugu Guest

This would make sense yet during the last round of discussions regarding scheduling, which maybe touched on alignment, there was a clear break within the West. The West Coast teams preferred having more games in their divisions for obvious travel regions, as did Nashville (for cost reasons), and having a fan base that seemed to prefer the regional rivalry. The older teams with older rivalries outside that structure obviously took a different stance-- especially the O-6 teams that wanted to play the other Original Six more frequently.

Nevertheless I believe that some owners are definitely viewed as being bigger players. Guys like Ilitch and Dolan who "could" be more active have given up due to butting heads with either Bettman (in Dolan's case especially), or Ilitch (famous battles with Jacobs, Wirtz, Karmanos and previously Davidson/PSE.... but only because someone suggested SE Michigan could support another NHL team, say at The Palace). Devellano made a comment once that the team was tired of having the NHL just take and take and take without ever addressing their concerns for their fans.

20. MayDay

MayDay Registered User

He just joined the club, and is likely too new to have any real influence, but I read that Terry Pegula's fortune places him as the 2nd richest team owner in the NHL, after Philip Anschutz of the Kings.

I wonder if that fact will give him any additional clout in league affairs.

21. Confucius

Confucius Registered User

Why would his personal wealth give him any clout? I'd think it means nothing, unless he is willing to share it.