top 5 Owners

Fugu

Imo,

Jacobs
Lieweke (representing AEG - Anschutz)
Snider
Bill Wirtz -- before he died, not sure about Rocky
MLSE

I wouldn't put Ilitch on the list. I don't think he gets along with Gary all that well.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
why is Molson not there?

with the cash he brings in and the number of fans of his team?

Fugu

why is Molson not there?

with the cash he brings in and the number of fans of his team?

He's new to the club, and it is an old boys' club. Dolan of the NY Rangers doesn't even go to meetings. He had a kerfuffle with the NHL over website rights, and lost a revenue stream the Rangers had developed when the NHL 'nationalized' team web properties.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Hotchkiss obviously had a lot of pull for a while being the Chairman of the BOG, but I doubt Murray Edwards and the rest will be able to mimic that when Hotchkiss offloads everything. Harley had the benefit of being in a seat of power in that 'old boys club' to make up for the fact he was an owner for a small-market team.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
He's new to the club, and it is an old boys' club. Dolan of the NY Rangers doesn't even go to meetings. He had a kerfuffle with the NHL over website rights, and lost a revenue stream the Rangers had developed when the NHL 'nationalized' team web properties.

is Molson really new , I mean the ties with the molson in the NHL are pretty old even if it's not exactly him.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Jacobs
Snider
Liewicke
Peddie/MLSE
maybe Wirtz Jr, maybe Molson Jr Jr Jr
------
Karmanos
Hotchkiss/Edwards (flames)
Leopold (who they seem to love for some reason)

some of the owners that are hard to place are guys like Checketts, Kroenke, Leonsis, Jaimeson, Melnyk.

respected but hated list: Illitch, Dolan, Lou

Last edited:

King of Arcadia

Feb 11, 2010
MLSE? I don't know if I would put them in top 5. I don't think anyone would have a hard time being successful.....off ice that is!!

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Jacobs is chairman of the board of governors.

A notorious hardliner when it comes to union relations. He basically personifies the stereotype of the "rich old white men" running the league.

leoleo3535

Feb 25, 2010
hockey rinks
Jacobs is chairman of the board of governors.

A notorious hardliner when it comes to union relations. He basically personifies the stereotype of the "rich old white men" running the league.

Jacobs is the guy that pushed to renew Bettman.
Molson is not high on the list particularily after they went public on Bettman this week.

It truly is an old boys club which is sad to say the least.

thenextone

Mar 19, 2005
New York City
Leopold is up there. The guys who were bringing in a lot of money were not as close to GB as the owners who were FIXATED on cost-certainty during the lockout.

MLSE, Dolan, Snider etc were doing quite well under the old system and in the past wanted to screw over the small markets.

eliostar

May 28, 2008
Toronto
Jacobs is the guy that pushed to renew Bettman.
Molson is not high on the list particularily after they went public on Bettman this week.

It truly is an old boys club which is sad to say the least.

I'd say Molson just went to the back of the line, he's even behind the empty
chair that represents the Coyotes.

Rakunitz23

May 17, 2010
mario-salute.jpg

Pittsburgh is currently at about 67 million in payroll, and without their 2 best players. Most owners would assume the year is lost, but Mario and Burkle allowed Shero to get Kovalev and Neal so they could be competitive

Fugu

I don't think Dolan belongs on the list anymore, seeing he sued the NHL and lost, and then was countersued, iirc.

I do remember one media report that said he stopped going to league meetings after that.

Lou is very influential as a GM. I think he often sits at the BoG meetings for NJD ownership.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
There was a story in the Globe and Mail that said that during the lockout, Tanenbaum was ready to accept a 25% player salary roll back and a soft cap, but got shouted down by the rest of the owners at the thought of giving up on a hard cap.

If true, that might indicate that MLSE is not as influential as you would think.

I also would bet that there are power alliances or grouping among the owners on various issues.

The western teams have a lot of common issues around travel costs, scheduling and alignment. They would obviously have very different positions than the Atlantic and NE teams.

There is clearly a Canadian - American division as they have a lot at stake with respect to broadcast revenues and exchange rates. There is also likely a small market - big market split.

Fugu

There was a story in the Globe and Mail that said that during the lockout, Tanenbaum was ready to accept a 25% player salary roll back and a soft cap, but got shouted down by the rest of the owners at the thought of giving up on a hard cap.

If true, that might indicate that MLSE is not as influential as you would think.

I also would bet that there are power alliances or grouping among the owners on various issues.

The western teams have a lot of common issues around travel costs, scheduling and alignment. They would obviously have very different positions than the Atlantic and NE teams.

There is clearly a Canadian - American division as they have a lot at stake with respect to broadcast revenues and exchange rates. There is also likely a small market - big market split.

This would make sense yet during the last round of discussions regarding scheduling, which maybe touched on alignment, there was a clear break within the West. The West Coast teams preferred having more games in their divisions for obvious travel regions, as did Nashville (for cost reasons), and having a fan base that seemed to prefer the regional rivalry. The older teams with older rivalries outside that structure obviously took a different stance-- especially the O-6 teams that wanted to play the other Original Six more frequently.

Nevertheless I believe that some owners are definitely viewed as being bigger players. Guys like Ilitch and Dolan who "could" be more active have given up due to butting heads with either Bettman (in Dolan's case especially), or Ilitch (famous battles with Jacobs, Wirtz, Karmanos and previously Davidson/PSE.... but only because someone suggested SE Michigan could support another NHL team, say at The Palace). Devellano made a comment once that the team was tired of having the NHL just take and take and take without ever addressing their concerns for their fans.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
He just joined the club, and is likely too new to have any real influence, but I read that Terry Pegula's fortune places him as the 2nd richest team owner in the NHL, after Philip Anschutz of the Kings.

I wonder if that fact will give him any additional clout in league affairs.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
He just joined the club, and is likely too new to have any real influence, but I read that Terry Pegula's fortune places him as the 2nd richest team owner in the NHL, after Philip Anschutz of the Kings.

I wonder if that fact will give him any additional clout in league affairs.

Why would his personal wealth give him any clout? I'd think it means nothing, unless he is willing to share it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad