Top 5 Most Underrated Red Wings Prospects

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
McKee (NR) - How can you possibly not like this guy? He has 4 years to develop his overall game and could be a great pick down the road.
I think this one is more of a two-way street than people are mentioning, though. He has 4 years to develop his overall game, but he also doesn't possess a great hockey game right now. He's a huge project in every sense. If he doesn't keep himself out of the penalty box, he might not develop.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
I think this one is more of a two-way street than people are mentioning, though. He has 4 years to develop his overall game, but he also doesn't possess a great hockey game right now. He's a huge project in every sense. If he doesn't keep himself out of the penalty box, he might not develop.

Okay, this is a very reasonable point; but SUCH a buzzkill :) We want our very own Oglethorpe!

Ogie-Oglethorpe-Slapshot.jpg

Agree with you that just being as big as a football player on skates doesn't automatically mean success but I think we're all rooting for the guy. And the question was "underrated" so, that's WHY he's underrated right? Cause he needs to learn to play actual hockey?

Don't mind me, I'll be in the corner "putting on the foil coach" :)

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009

Agree 100%, although 0.5 PPG over 42 games while sitting in the box for 292 minutes is not bad and requires SOME offensive skills... But that's why I think it's great he's going to college.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Paterson (16) - Was great at the WJC camp and I hope he gets to play at this year's tournament. Would be interesting to see him on a stronger team.

Do you mean Saginaw? That shouldn't be a problem next year. They just traded for 3 quality veteran forwards. As long as Locke comes back for an overage season (he should), they will be a much improved team next year.

I actually really like Saginaw prospect Nick Moutrey as as a mid round draft prospect this season. Big, physical forward, who showed he can score a little and improved a lot this season. Hopefully Detroit considers him.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Do you mean Saginaw? That shouldn't be a problem next year. They just traded for 3 quality veteran forwards. As long as Locke comes back for an overage season (he should), they will be a much improved team next year.

I actually really like Saginaw prospect Nick Moutrey as as a mid round draft prospect this season. Big, physical forward, who showed he can score a little and improved a lot this season. Hopefully Detroit considers him.
Yes, I meant Saginaw. It's good to hear they should be a stronger team next year.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto

Good for him, although I secretly think it's not the worst thing when your goalie sees a ton of rubber in junior. I'm honestly excited about the guy tho; the fact that he's being touted as the favorite to win the Canada job at the WJHC in 2014 is pretty exciting.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Will that really be enough? For the first half of last year they were basically him and Vincent Trocheck, that team was just awful. The three vets will be great, but they are going to need some serious development from within in my opinion. Keep in mind McDavid should pretty much put Erie in the playoffs himself this year. I know that argument is being used against those two, but McDavid is a special 1st overall pick talent, so a little different.

I actually wonder if McDavid is going to make the Canadian U-20 team this year as a 16 year old... Scary good.

Christien

May 1, 2010
1) Marek Tvrdon - All he needs to do is stay healthy. Has an excellent frame & has tons of skill with an NHL caliber shot. Could be a top 6 player.
2) Andreas Athanasiou - NHL level skating, even world class. Excellent puck control & very creative. Loves to be THAT guy. He could be a great top 6 forward, or a bottom line forward, it's all up to him. The sky is the limit.
3) Mattias Backman - Mattias has great hockey sense. He's a tall guy, but could definately put on a few pounds. Was the #1 Dman on Linköping this year at a young age. Very intriguing prospect, and could possibly one day be a 2nd pairing guy I think, but who knows?
4) Alexei Marchenko - Two way Dman, can quarterback a PP. He's a leader, remember a while back in the WJC he was set to be the captain for Russia, & was going to be their best Dman? Didn't get much of an opportunity in Russia, but I'm excited to see what Alexei can do in North America. Again, could be an NHL guy.
5) Nick Jensen - Don't know much about Nick, but I know that he's a great skater & a two-way Dman. Very talented & projects to be an NHL guy.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Disagree on AA becoming a Helm type. That isnt his game at all, he COULD be if he changes his game a bit. We will see.

As for Callahan, disagree with a few of you guys. His slating is an asset, hes great on the forecheck and I think hes become very good defensively. Blashill was using him to defend leads this season when the other team's goalie was out.

Agree hes not a great fighter but hes better than Abdelkader. His problem is picking his fights. Last year he was the only tough forward on the team and was fighting AHL heavyweights on the regular. In the NHL he'll be expected to fight the Ott's and Cookes of the world who he will win some against pretty easily

Christien

May 1, 2010
Disagree on AA becoming a Helm type. That isnt his game at all, he COULD be if he changes his game a bit. We will see.

As for Callahan, disagree with a few of you guys. His slating is an asset, hes great on the forecheck and I think hes become very good defensively. Blashill was using him to defend leads this season when the other team's goalie was out.

Agree hes not a great fighter but hes better than Abdelkader. His problem is picking his fights. Last year he was the only tough forward on the team and was fighting AHL heavyweights on the regular. In the NHL he'll be expected to fight the Ott's and Cookes of the world who he will win some against pretty easily
I disagree with AA being a helm-type player too.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
AA is being pointed to as having Helm like speed. I don't think anybody isn't saying his hands and goal scoring instincts aren't better. They both have a tendency to carry the puck a little too much. It is an asset at times and a determent at others.

Not quite as big but who AA reminds me a lot of is Stalberg. AA also could fill out into being around as big while shorter. But he has great wheels and hands, it is where the development of his hockey IQ takes him that is in question.

The Helm thing is almost entirely based on his speed, although AA has a smoother stride another part of why I prefer the Stalberg analogy. Since I like Stalberg, I like AA, hopefully he keeps growing and gets better at understanding what his teammates are doing.

JimLaheyprobert

Nov 19, 2012
Agree 100%, although 0.5 PPG over 42 games while sitting in the box for 292 minutes is not bad and requires SOME offensive skills... But that's why I think it's great he's going to college.

for the position that mckee will likely play in the nhl (forward) he does not need to to have a ton of offensive skill. Just needs to be able to skate (which he can) be relaiable in his own zone and not a liability defensivley, and kick peoples ***** and look out for his teammates. Would obviously help if he developed some sort of offensive skill tho. Im rooting for this guy bigtime!

JimLaheyprobert

Nov 19, 2012

Ya i agree about Callahan. The positive with him is he can take a punch and he can throw punches. The rest of the fighting aspect will come with experience and getting stronger, hes still a kid and wont win much fights if hes fighting guys bigger stronger and older.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
for the position that mckee will likely play in the nhl (forward) he does not need to to have a ton of offensive skill. Just needs to be able to skate (which he can) be relaiable in his own zone and not a liability defensivley, and kick peoples ***** and look out for his teammates. Would obviously help if he developed some sort of offensive skill tho. Im rooting for this guy bigtime!

Quoted Jim but this is to anybody. I've read a few times now that McKee is a good skater for his size. I was wondering if this comes from people watching him live, YouTube or a scouting report. I will admit most were all fight clips that I've seen. The one or two with his skating he didn't look very good at all. I don't want to judge him on that alone.

Trust me I love the guys size and obviously I love a good fight or pretty much any fight. I would love a guy his size who can keep up and take a regular 4th line shift.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
I' transferring to WMU this fall so I will be able to watch plenty of McKee, I will definitely provide plenty of sub par amateur scouting reports.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Quoted Jim but this is to anybody. I've read a few times now that McKee is a good skater for his size. I was wondering if this comes from people watching him live, YouTube or a scouting report. I will admit most were all fight clips that I've seen. The one or two with his skating he didn't look very good at all. I don't want to judge him on that alone.

Trust me I love the guys size and obviously I love a good fight or pretty much any fight. I would love a guy his size who can keep up and take a regular 4th line shift.

USHL games are hard to get a hold of, but there is the occasional re-run here of Green Bay Gamblers games on the terrible TWC and other cruddy second rate channels. So I have actually seen him play. He has a little trouble moving backwards and doesn't have the worlds greatest agility. But his forward skating right now once he gets going is pretty good. He also has areas you would expect him to improve in. Why I view him as a forward, I think he can round out those areas out and really improve there. Not sure defensively and backing up. He has a stride to work with though in my opinion. His first step should improve also at least a little.

Last edited:

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Will that really be enough? For the first half of last year they were basically him and Vincent Trocheck, that team was just awful. The three vets will be great, but they are going to need some serious development from within in my opinion. .

Lodge and Locke were already PPG+ players and they should return and threaten 100 points.
As a 19 year old Justin Kea should establish himself as a dominant first line power forward.
Moutrey is a sure fire young guy who will be big for them next season.
Addison, Bratina and Lindholm are all young returning forwards who have serious upside.
Adding Cody Payne and Krystopher Kontos shows Saginaw is serious about contending next year and answers any doubts about the team upfront.

They could use another D man or two, but they have options with the Import draft.. or trade since they seem to be loading up a bit.

They are obviously great in goal. At this point I thnk they should win their division.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
not to nearly the extent that Goalies are

Yeah, but still. More prospects are busts than not. The only sport draft picks are immediately relevant in my opinion is football.
Hockey prospects bore me, merely because of the fact that they don't really see the NHL until 5 or 6 years after draft day.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, but still. More prospects are busts than not. The only sport draft picks are immediately relevant in my opinion is football.
Hockey prospects bore me, merely because of the fact that they don't really see the NHL until 5 or 6 years after draft day.

I would have gone basketball there, then again I have pretty much stopped watching that sport so it might not hold true of the NBA anymore. But that was one were the players pretty much came in and were a big deal right away, in my opinion more than most sports.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I would have gone basketball there, then again I have pretty much stopped watching that sport so it might not hold true of the NBA anymore. But that was one were the players pretty much came in and were a big deal right away, in my opinion more than most sports.

I don't follow the NBA either, so who knows.

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH

I am confused as to what you think HFBoards is if prospects bore you ;)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am confused as to what you think HFBoards is if prospects bore you ;)

You could belong here just to post on the NHL portions. Certainly the prospect knowledge is a big selling point to me around here and why this is my preferred hockey chatting destination, but this site doesn't pigeonhole you to just the Hockey futures portion, just you know they will update that stuff a bunch if you're interested.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->