Top 5 Most Underrated Red Wings Prospects

RedWingsNow*

There are no right answers (other than mine.)
Who are the 5 most underrated Red Wings prospects/

Here are mine
1) Andreas Athansiou - World class speed. He can function in Darren Helm type role, perhaps on the Wing. If he continues to learn the game and develop, this kid might turn into a star.
2) Alexei Marchenko -- In terms of potential, I think compares pretty favorably to Xavier Ouellete. Marchenko has been a leader. He's got an NHL type frame. He moves well and ability on both ends of the ice.
3) Marek Tvrdon -- Another injury plagued campaign for the big (6'2, 217) Slovakian winger. Everyone compares Jurco to Hossa, but Tvrdon's game more closely mirrors Hossa's.
4) Nick Jensen -- A great skater with decent size and a right hand shot. He might challenge for a job sooner than people think.
5) Mike McKee -- A year after his draft, Mckee is getting ready for college at Western. He's probably going to spend 2-3 years in college (if he doesn't get expelled for on-ice violence) before going to the AHL. But he's huge. And this team needs a huge defenseman with snarl like he has.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Mine

1. Athanasiou
2. Backman
3. Jurco
4. Jensen
5. Paterson

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
5) Mike McKee -- A year after his draft, Mckee is getting ready for college at Western. He's probably going to spend 2-3 years in college (if he doesn't get expelled for on-ice violence) before going to the AHL. But he's huge. And this team needs a huge defenseman with snarl like he has.

I feel like McKee was born too late for his style of play.

With the NHL slowly phasing fighting out of the game, I feel like unless he develops another skill set in college he may never get a shot in the NHL.

With the mandatory visors, the new penalties for taking off your helmet for a fight combined with the penalty for starting a fight wearing a visor, I think he's going to take a lot of extra penalty minutes if he gets to the NHL level.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Here are mine
1) Andreas Athansiou - World class speed. He can function in Darren Helm type role, perhaps on the Wing. If he continues to learn the game and develop, this kid might turn into a star.
2) Alexei Marchenko -- In terms of potential, I think compares pretty favorably to Xavier Ouellete. Marchenko has been a leader. He's got an NHL type frame. He moves well and ability on both ends of the ice.
3) Marek Tvrdon -- Another injury plagued campaign for the big (6'2, 217) Slovakian winger. Everyone compares Jurco to Hossa, but Tvrdon's game more closely mirrors Hossa's.
4) Nick Jensen -- A great skater with decent size and a right hand shot. He might challenge for a job sooner than people think.

I like your list for the most part, though we have different guys in different places.

Disagree on the Hossa comparison though. Jurco athletically and talent-wise is a better comparison to Hossa than Tvrdon IMO. Tvrdon has a high ceiling and could be a good player with his size, but I think Jurco resembles Hossa more.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

With the NHL slowly phasing fighting out of the game, I feel like unless he develops another skill set in college he may never get a shot in the NHL.

With the mandatory visors, the new penalties for taking off your helmet for a fight combined with the penalty for starting a fight wearing a visor, I think he's going to take a lot of extra penalty minutes if he gets to the NHL level.

Sort of, going to Western to learn to be more than a goon should help.

The biggest thing with McKee is he skates well, especially moving forward. He is going to be 6'5" 260 lbs by the time he is done and we aren't talking fat. He just continues packing on muscle and increasing speed and physicality. The guy is a monster. For me he is a fourth line forward, I have kind of stopped looking at him as a D-man.

So even without fighting he is a guy that will just demolish people on the forecheck. Plus even if the league tries real hard to phase fighting out or alter it. McKee is the kind of guy that (and history shows this in terms of this year) will take the suspension to right a wrong or the additional penalty. If you hunt our star, Big Mike is going to hunt you, that is intimidating.

RedWingsNow*

I like your list for the most part, though we have different guys in different places.

Disagree on the Hossa comparison though. Jurco athletically and talent-wise is a better comparison to Hossa than Tvrdon IMO. Tvrdon has a high ceiling and could be a good player with his size, but I think Jurco resembles Hossa more.

Hossa plays a straight ahead game. he doesn't dipsy doodle like Jurco, who is more like a Hemsky than a Hossa

RedWingsNow*

Fighting may or may not be required.
But 6'5, 250 pound defensmen....
I mean, look, Jonathan Ericsson is a very, very average defenseman. But since he's huge and skates fairly well, he's a regular NHLer. I actually saw someone suggest a 6 year, $30M deal for Ericsson, if you can believe it

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Depends on what the rankings come out to.

McKee for me is in a holding pattern, I hope he is converted to forward, but I want to see him play in college before making a big decision. He does look like a nuclear deterrent. He is a workout champion so really he is going to keep getting bigger and that is the scary part.

My list:

1.) Marek Tvrdon - I know shocking. But he plays a game I like and skates well for his size especially. Has good hands in tight and a booming shot (this will likely be overlooked with Sproul, Frk, and Pulkkinen around, but trust me it is there) with a very good release. Comfortable on his backhand and shows some patience to let plays develop. He is like Hossa in terms of offense, he is direct and while he can dangle he doesn't over-handle the puck at times. Really Hossa is kind of a hybrid of Tvrdon and Jurco in terms of ceiling there are parts of both of them that are apparent in their countryman and why they both get tagged with that label. God I hope he can stay healthy and be a homerun.

2.) Nick Jensen - His skating will get him to the league. Have said a bunch but he reminds me a ton of Bret Hedican. Smooth and effortless skater that eats up real-estate and uses it to his advantage in all the zones. Has a physical element to him, and pretty adequate positioning understanding at this point in his development. I think he will arrive faster than some people think. With him it is will his offense translate, I don't think it will all the way. He will also have to rely more on his first pass (which is fantastic) than skating. The puck moves faster passing than you do, no matter if you have elite skating, it opens everything up for everyone else too. Important adjustment, but this kid is very close to pro ready right now, expect nice things next year in GR. Also Right handed. Smooth skating Defensive D-man are interesting, they usually can still collect points because of it but I would point to Hedican, Hamhuis, and Beauchemin as guys that fit this bill.

3.) Alexei Marchenko - Another can he stay healthy guy. A fantastic PP QB from watching him in the KHL. He can and will play physical, encouraging given his health problems that he still shows a willingness here. I know it might get him nicked, but if he stopped doing it I would be more concerned. Was supposed to be the Captain of the WJC Gold Medal squad from Russia a couple years back before injury, so maybe reading too much into that but potential leadership qualities or at least no work ethic issues. Has played four pro seasons already, all down to how he adjusts to this side of the pond and his health. But a great project with huge potential.

4.) Andreas Athanasiou - Speed that kills and pretty good hands in terms of dangle and finish. His problem is his hockey IQ right now, but he is learning and had an impressive growth season. Has a frame that should pack on some weight and is a late birthday in terms of his draft year. Much like Jensen I see no way his skating doesn't get him to the league at some point it will be about role. He has homerun qualities, especially if he starts using his teammates well.

5.) Jake Paterson - Goalies are a crap shoot, but this kid is better than his stats. We will see if he beats out Fucale for starter of the next Canada WJC team but I think he will right now. His team is God awful, even in a Conference/League where 8 out of 10 make it, they were the 10th worst team and made the playoffs and I was impressed. Yes I think Saginaw were worse than Erie. Even almost stole a game from London, watched that one and he was amazing. Has good movement and a cool confidence about him. With Mrazek and Howard in the way, he probably won't be anything here, but I am rooting for him to turn into a terrific trade asset.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Fighting may or may not be required.
But 6'5, 250 pound defensmen....
I mean, look, Jonathan Ericsson is a very, very average defenseman. But since he's huge and skates fairly well, he's a regular NHLer. I actually saw someone suggest a 6 year, $30M deal for Ericsson, if you can believe it

With or without fighting, if you have plans of hanging out by the crease and he makes it as a D-man it isn't going to happen on his shift. Downey raved about his strength in the last prospect camp.

Both Nedomlel and McKee are guys that will making camping out in front of the net during the play or bothering the goaltender after the whistle pretty much a no thank you proposition should they make it.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
1) Patterson: Could be the#1 Canadian goalie in Junior Hockey next season. Understandable that he gets lost in our prospects considering the monumental rise of Mrazek this season.

2) Jensen: Size, skating, physical play and maturity that some of our younger high end D prospects might lack in their pro transition.

3) Tvrdon: Injuries and a terrible team this year have made things difficult for his developement. But there is no arguing with his size and raw skills. Lots of potential, just a matter of him putting in the effort to develop.

4) Mitchell Callahan: No reason he can;t become an effective pest/agitator/checker. Has the requisite speed, aggressiveness and fearlessness. Again his speed and awareness make him usefull in a PK role too. Effective 4th line NHL to be IMO. Seems like everyone is penciling in Ferraro and Sheahan for these roles and overlooking the much tougher Callahan. With teams going more towards pests, than the traditional goon, I think Callahan could carve an NHL career for himself.

5) Oullette: Meh he gets his due, But i have a lot of faith in him and it seems other D-men in the system are passing him in a lot of ratings and people around here are more excited about Backman and Sproul's upside. So i thought I'd mention XO. Lets not forget this guy is a sure thing!

RedWingsNow*

I wanted to put Mitch C in, but I didn't see much of him in the GR playoff games I watched.
Who would you compare his skating to (NHL-wise?)

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
If A2 has Helm like speed, he certainly does not have Helm like hands.

And a guy with Helm speed and hands not made of stone makes my mouth water.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI

Here are mine

I completely agree with this list actually, my list would look the same.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

These Tvrdon and Jurco comparisons haven't changed anywhere.

Tvrdon does not have that world-class skill like Hossa and Jurco have.

Tvrdon is great power-winger, net-front screener like Tomas Kopecky. Middle6 potential.

JimLaheyprobert

Nov 19, 2012
I really hope mckee develops into a defensemen or foward, i think te wigns desperatly need a physical presence like him!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Think Dan Paille. Not a pure burner, but speed enough to cause havoc on the forecheck and seem like he is all over the ice.

He is not that fast, Paille is a pretty fast guy. Callahan had a good year, he has a sneaky wrist shot and has improved his defense and discipline a ton. What he is billed around here as are some of the problems I have. He has pretty average to slightly above average speed, his skating won't keep him out of the league but it isn't a huge asset either. His fighting is pretty bad, for the people that enjoy that part of his game, think Abdelkader. Mitch will need to choose his dance partners correctly, good news is he figured that out dropping from 14 fights total the year before to 5 (including playoffs) all year.

Blashill really brought him a long way and his skating has improved each year that he has been in our system, so another year of both could be huge. He could make it in that fourth line role and his ability to and desire to be a good PK guy is great. But he is evolving into an agitator that doesn't fight very well so keep that in mind for the crowd that beats the drum in the other direction. Those guys are fine they have a purpose, Mitch should get his shot eventually, I still don't know whether or not he will stick. His ability to pk though makes him a better asset than Tootoo when he does come up, but don't be confused Tootoo would knock Callahan out of the lineup for a month if they fought.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
He is not that fast, Paille is a pretty fast guy. Callahan had a good year, he has a sneaky wrist shot and has improved his defense and discipline a ton. What he is billed around here as are some of the problems I have. He has pretty average to slightly above average speed, his skating won't keep him out of the league but it isn't a huge asset either. His fighting is pretty bad, for the people that enjoy that part of his game, think Abdelkader. Mitch will need to choose his dance partners correctly, good news is he figured that out dropping from 14 fights total the year before to 5 (including playoffs) all year.

Blashill really brought him a long way and his skating has improved each year that he has been in our system, so another year of both could be huge. He could make it in that fourth line role and his ability to and desire to be a good PK guy is great. But he is evolving into an agitator that doesn't fight very well so keep that in mind for the crowd that beats the drum in the other direction. Those guys are fine they have a purpose, Mitch should get his shot eventually, I still don't know whether or not he will stick. His ability to pk though makes him a better asset than Tootoo when he does come up, but don't be confused Tootoo would knock Callahan out of the lineup for a month if they fought.
I haven't found Callahan particularly impactful on the defensive end of things, either. He's found his extra value in offensive production, but yet I don't think his offensive game will translate well to the NHL. I worry that he's in a bit of a no-man's-land in terms of his skillset; he probably won't be a shutdown guy, certainly won't be an offensive guy, but also likely won't be a tough guy. He's going to have to carve himself a very specific niche to be an NHLer one day.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
I don't know what/who determines being underrated but I'll go with the latest RWC rankings.

McKee (NR) - How can you possibly not like this guy? He has 4 years to develop his overall game and could be a great pick down the road.
De Haas (25) - Saw him play 3-4 times this year. Size+skating is good, has some offense but needs to play tougher to make the NHL. 4 years to work on that before they lose his rights. Kind of reminds me of DeKeyser.
Tvrdon (19) - Mentioned by many already. Injuries hurting him a lot.
Paterson (16) - Was great at the WJC camp and I hope he gets to play at this year's tournament. Would be interesting to see him on a stronger team.
Jensen (13) / Marchenko (14) - Jensen could probably play for a weaker NHL team next year and Marchenko has all the tools to be a top-4 d-man. Big year for both next year in a new environment. (Pro/NA-style)

I also think Parkes is a guy who could still become an NHLer but needs a big role in next years GR team, something he probably won't get.

SportsballChic

Jun 18, 2013
Toronto
Like Callahan, but he does seem to "lose" an awful lot of fights. But it takes a while, they punch him in the head a bunch of times and he doesn't go down.

To be 100% fair, the way the modern NHL goes I'm not sure it's about winning fights as much as having a few guys prepared to get into them; thus they don't happen much in the first place.

That having been said, I suspect a dude like Colton Orr will disagree; but isn't he probably going to whip Tootoo's butt too?

Talent wise, he doesn't seem like a guy worth getting super excited about. I've read fan comparisons to DMac and that seems super generous; Dmac had legitimate offensive talents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad