Top 5 in 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

little a from da bx

Jun 18, 2004
dancingtree said:
Who are the top 5 in 2005, and where will they go?

My guess:
1) Sidney Crosby (C) - New York Rangers
2) Gilbert Brule (C) - Phoenix Coyotes
3) Guillaume Latendresse (W) - Washington Capitals
4) Teemo Lakkso (D) - Columbus Blue Jackets
5) Vitaly Anikeenko (D) - Pittsburgh Penguins
as a ranger fan i love to see that, crosby #1 overall, nyr is very dreadful in the cneter position and crosby would be wonderful and would be the #1 center guy in NY and with his potential he would give the team something to build around, just hope sather is gone cause he will just mess this one up to. as he did with malhotra,brendl, lundmark etc....

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
db23 said:
Brule is hugely overrated. I could go back and find dozens of players over the past few years who have scored a point a game or better in the CHL in their season before the draft. Most of them were bigger than Brule at the time as well. Rob Schremp scored at a better rate in the OHL at the age of 16 than Brule. He was 6 months younger at the time and 15 pounds heavier.

Obviously DB23 you have only done enough one eye blind research to fit your usual Brule slamming theory. Forget about CHL players. How many WHL players have averaged a point a game or better as 16 yr olds recently? Not dozens for sure, maybe a couple in the last decade. Everyone knows the WHL is more defensive minded than the other 2 CHL leagues. Are you one of those that doesn't realize this or has your research failed you. Anyway, if you did your homework you would have to go back quite a few years to find a point a game 16 yr old in the DUB, but you seem quite content to omit these facts to suit your numerous anti-Brule posts.

Quit slamming the kid, he is excellent.

W Jets fan

Jun 14, 2004
I have to agree with Puckhead. Cogliano looked better in the U17 & U18 and put up better
numbers. Don't get me wrong, both are great players but I would take Cogliano before Brule

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Panda Bear said:
I have to agree with Puckhead. Cogliano looked better in the U17 & U18 and put up better
numbers. Don't get me wrong, both are great players but I would take Cogliano before Brule

I don't really agree, I think both played about the same in the offensive end, though Brule is a better playmaker than Cogliano is. But Cogliano is not as strong as Brule, Cogliano is not two way like Brule, Cogliano is not willing to throw checks like Brule or play with the fire Brule does. Though IMO both have almost simular offensive skills except Brule controls the play and tempo better than Cogliano and Brule has better playmaking skills and WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY better stickhandling skills. I find Cogliano is a choppy stickhandler and has the puck jump off his stick a bit too much. I would take Brule over Cogliano by far. I really think Brule is almost alock for 2nd overall, I don't think Brule is in Crosbys level of play, and Latendresse IMO is also ahead of Cogliano and so is Bertram IMO.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
db23 said:
Yeah, yeah, the whole world is conspiring against the Chicago Blackhawks. :shakehead

Back to the topic, I can't see why Brule would go #2 overall. I would hate to try to slot them this early, but my bet is that Brule doesn't make the top 5. I see him as being very similar to Scottie Upshall or Jamie Lundmark and going somewhere similar in the draft as to where those guys were taken. Somewhere between 5 and 10 overall. Andrew Cogliano has bested him in the only two times they've played with/against each other. Jack Johnson has looked superb playing against older players at the U.S. U20 tournament. That doesn't take into account Europeans either.

Nonsense. Name me a 16 year old that puts up over a point per game in the WHL. Cant do it, can ya? Well Brule nearly accomplished that feat playing with grinders on his line. Look at footage and you will notice that a fair amount of his goals were end-to-end rushes where he simply scores by himself. Thats un-heard of for a 16 year old in the WHL.

Besides, this year the Giants will be even better and Gilbert will be the 'go to guy' as a 17 year old sophmore. Expect a barrage of points from Brule, 100+.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Panda Bear said:

Were you at the recent under 18's?
Cogliano got on the scoresheet more and has some flashy hands but Brule played a better overall game and seemed to me to be the better pro prospect. Brule created a lot of excellent chances that didn't actually result in goals but I got the feeling that if the tourney had gone on longer he and Cogliano would have been about equal in points but Brule is a better skater, better defensively, uses his teammats better and is definitely feistier.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
steblick said:
Were you at the recent under 18's?
Cogliano got on the scoresheet more and has some flashy hands but Brule played a better overall game and seemed to me to be the better pro prospect. Brule created a lot of excellent chances that didn't actually result in goals but I got the feeling that if the tourney had gone on longer he and Cogliano would have been about equal in points but Brule is a better skater, better defensively, uses his teammats better and is definitely feistier.

I wouldn't say Brule is a better skater it depends what you look for, Brule is stronger on his skates yes, but speed wise Cogliano kicks his but and Brule has decent speed, agility I would say Brule a little better than Cog. but acceleration, speed goes to Cogliano.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
moosefan said:
I wouldn't say Brule is a better skater it depends what you look for, Brule is stronger on his skates yes, but speed wise Cogliano kicks his but and Brule has decent speed, agility I would say Brule a little better than Cog. but acceleration, speed goes to Cogliano.

Yes, Cogliano has that elite extra gear and first step but he often seems on edge to me- the kind of player who dances prettily but a stiff breeze might knock him over. Brule has better strength on his skates, to fight through checks, hooks etc. and has better lateral movement than Cogliano.

This is a preliminary judgment though- over the year I'll get a better read on both and this opinion cold change.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
steblick said:
Yes, Cogliano has that elite extra gear and first step but he often seems on edge to me- the kind of player who dances prettily but a stiff breeze might knock him over. Brule has better strength on his skates, to fight through checks, hooks etc. and has better lateral movement than Cogliano.

This is a preliminary judgment though- over the year I'll get a better read on both and this opinion cold change.

I do agree, Cogliano is more of a straight away skater with not as much strength as Brule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->