Top 5 in 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Leachmeister2000 said:
Setoguchi at #7? There is no way on earth he could end up that high. Granted he is a top 25 pick. Carry on, buisness as usual.

I think he'll suprise a number of people this year... Just my personal opinion.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Reveille said:
1. Sidney Crosby
2. Gilbert Brule
3. Guillame Latendresse
4. Vitaly Anikeenko
5. Dan Bertram
6. Andrew Cogliano
7. Devin Setoguchi
8. JP Levasseur
9. Jakub Kindl
10. Matt Lashoff
11. Tukka Rask
12. Jack Johnson
13. Bobby Ryan
14. Niklas Bergfors
15. Teemu Laakso

Don't forget about Brendan Mikkelson from the Portland Winter Hawks. He led all D-men in scoring at the U18 World Junior Cup with 6pts and has good size and skating.

Lefty

Mar 1, 2002
Saskatoon
www.myspace.com
Leachmeister2000 said:
Setoguchi at #7? There is no way on earth he could end up that high. Granted he is a top 25 pick. Carry on, buisness as usual.

Keep in mind he put up however many points he did on one of the worst teams in WHL history. I agree that he could definitely surprise some people this year.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Lefty said:
Keep in mind he put up however many points he did on one of the worst teams in WHL history. I agree that he could definitely surprise some people this year.

I agree Setoguchi is one of my favorite prospects for this years draft, IMO he will go top 7.

TKLOOCH22

Jul 23, 2002
Nueva York
Visit site
HabLover said:
Don't forget about Brendan Mikkelson from the Portland Winter Hawks. He led all D-men in scoring at the U18 World Junior Cup with 6pts and has good size and skating.

While he may be deserving of a top 15 bid, a good tournament is not enough to shoot a guy from obscurity into a top 15 or top 10 IMO. As of now, I'd considerably put him for consideration around 25-40. It all depends on how his season goes as it could boost him along with many others. And that is what makes this draft so scary. As of now we havent seen the Andrew Ladd's or Lauri Korpikoski's.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
OneSpeedOnly said:
1. Sidney Crosby
2. Gilbert Brule
3. Guillaume Latendresse
4. Daniel Bertram
5. Bobby Ryan
6. Matt Lashoff
7. Vitaly Anikeenko
8. Andrew Cogliano
9. Teemu Laakso
10. Nik Drazenovic

Can anyone tell me what teams these kids play for, I only know Crosby and Brule.

88Nords19

Apr 7, 2003
Alma
Visit site
?

X-SHARKIE said:
Well no one knows were they well go but. I think your missing Andrew Cogliano. I love watching this guy play, and if he works on his hands over the summer, he could be the #2 pick in the draft IMO. Daniel Bertram also deserves a shot at the top 5, although alot of people do. SImply put this is going to be an amazing draft :)

While I happen to share your opinion on Cogliano being a realistic 2005 top 5 pick, I do question how much you've actually seen him play, considering last month you thought he was a defenseman. No disrespect intended, since you do seem to know a fair bit about the game.

X-SHARKIE

88Nords19 said:
While I happen to share your opinion on Cogliano being a realistic 2005 top 5 pick, I do question how much you've actually seen him play, considering last month you thought he was a defenseman. No disrespect intended, since you do seem to know a fair bit about the game.

I have never seen him play....but from what I hear and read he seems to have what I look for in a young player. The reason I listed him as a defenesman, I can't remember doing this but I bet I said that because his name looks rather familiar to Colaiacovo. I've only seen a handfull of 2005 players. Mior, Lattendresse, Rask, Anikeenko, Lashoff, Ryan, Staal on the top of my head thats all I can name.

VanCanuck

May 9, 2003
Vancouver, BC
My guess:
1) Sidney Crosby (C) - Montreal Canadiens (Yeah, I still believe...)
2) Gilbert Brule (C) - NY Rangers
3) Guillaume Latendresse (W) - Washington Capitals
4) Teemo Lakkso (D) - Columbus Blue Jackets
5) Vitaly Anikeenko (D) - Pittsburgh Penguins

12) Chris Gawlik (C) - San Jose Sharks

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
Canucks-R-best said:
If Carey Price keeps winning and showing excellent skill he might slip in the top 20....I know not top 5 its just that he just back stopped Canada for U-18 gold and hasnt been mentioned yet.
I see Carey Price as a Mid 2nd rounder(Top 50). Just because he had one really solid performance doesnt mean he has just leapfrogged two great goalies that will potentiallly both be Top 20 picks

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
As much as I like Setoguchi, I high doubt he will be in the Top 7. I really hope he does but there is just to much talent to jump ahead of. I personally had him at 11.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
TKLOOCH22 said:
While he may be deserving of a top 15 bid, a good tournament is not enough to shoot a guy from obscurity into a top 15 or top 10 IMO. As of now, I'd considerably put him for consideration around 25-40. It all depends on how his season goes as it could boost him along with many others. And that is what makes this draft so scary. As of now we havent seen the Andrew Ladd's or Lauri Korpikoski's.
Couldnt say it better myself. Next year is huge in determining where you want to finish. I had Mikkelson at around 60 and one tourney made me feel is up around 35-40. Its goin to be a great and exciting season in the CHL as players will be pushing hard to get into that 1st round!

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Newfie Bruin said:
I see Carey Price as a Mid 2nd rounder(Top 50). Just because he had one really solid performance doesnt mean he has just leapfrogged two great goalies that will potentiallly both be Top 20 picks

Price finished the year strong for the Tri City Americans last year and had a great playoffs! It hasn't just been one solid performance. He also beat out the other top '87 goalies in Canada and in the end was Canada's #1 goalie. Levasseur and Moir were more widely talked about before this tourney than Price was.

I will agree though that this coming year is huge, for not only Price, but every prospect, because when Canada won the U18's in 2002, the goalies were Kevin Nastiuk and Josh Lepp. As I said Canada won that tourney, but Lepp is not much of a prospect anymore and Nastiuk wasn't a high draft and hasn't played for Canada since.

DonutLine

Aug 19, 2004
Newfie Bruin said:

I watched Price in the camp in Calgary and he has some great tools. He is a terrific skater and puck handler in addition to being big and quick. He was simply better than any of the other goalies there. We hear a lot more about Price out west than you do back east. I think most of the eastern posters are basing their judgement on a goaltender they have never seen play or saw him play at the U17 tournament. I did some poking around and couldn't find any other 16 yr old goalie who played in the CHL playoffs last year. According to things I've read Price was outstanding in beating Portland in the playoffs 4 games to 1. Not saying anything against two Mior and Levasseur but I don't think Price is given the respect I think he deserves after seeing him matched against the other 2 in Calgary. Just defending a good western guy.

Canucks-R-best

Jan 12, 2003
Visit site
DonutLine said:
I watched Price in the camp in Calgary and he has some great tools. He is a terrific skater and puck handler in addition to being big and quick. He was simply better than any of the other goalies there. We hear a lot more about Price out west than you do back east. I think most of the eastern posters are basing their judgement on a goaltender they have never seen play or saw him play at the U17 tournament. I did some poking around and couldn't find any other 16 yr old goalie who played in the CHL playoffs last year. According to things I've read Price was outstanding in beating Portland in the playoffs 4 games to 1. Not saying anything against two Mior and Levasseur but I don't think Price is given the respect I think he deserves after seeing him matched against the other 2 in Calgary. Just defending a good western guy.

amen brother....I know Price on a personal level....I as well am from Williams Lake and go to the same school as him, so im a bit biased but he is a friend and i hope he does well

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Brule has the potential of a superstar, he could be a 50 goal scorer, 100 point player. He is super talented. I would say he plays like Forsberg ( with his gritty play and the way he moves on the ice) but with more of a snipers edge and less of the playmaking edge, though Brule is also great with vision and passing capablities he just looks for the goal 1st and he likes to load the net with shots.

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
db23 said:
Yeah, yeah, the whole world is conspiring against the Chicago Blackhawks. :shakehead

Back to the topic, I can't see why Brule would go #2 overall. I would hate to try to slot them this early, but my bet is that Brule doesn't make the top 5. I see him as being very similar to Scottie Upshall or Jamie Lundmark and going somewhere similar in the draft as to where those guys were taken. Somewhere between 5 and 10 overall. Andrew Cogliano has bested him in the only two times they've played with/against each other. Jack Johnson has looked superb playing against older players at the U.S. U20 tournament. That doesn't take into account Europeans either.

I hope you're right db, I won't have a top 5 pick in my keeper league draft and I would love to be able to nab Brule. If this happens in reality, I would be shocked. I agree that it is difficult to slot these prospects at this time, but if he slides out of the top 5, then 4 GM's should lose their jobs!

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
db23 said:
Brule is hugely overrated. I could go back and find dozens of players over the past few years who have scored a point a game or better in the CHL in their season before the draft. Most of them were bigger than Brule at the time as well. Rob Schremp scored at a better rate in the OHL at the age of 16 than Brule. He was 6 months younger at the time and 15 pounds heavier.

But Brule doesn't have the attitude question marks surrounding him. Tell me, how many times have you seen him play? He plays with an edge taht Schremp doesn't have (it is an awful comparison to begin with) and loking at some of his goals, you can see just how talented he is.

Watch Brule this year, when he is the Giants key player and then go around making your hugely overrated comments.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Not to wade into this too deep, but jsut keep in mind the ratings are going to change quite a bit by the end of the year, so this is actually a thread where bold statements may come true. After all, no one had heard of Andrew Ladd or Blake Wheeler (both top 5) a year ago, and there are numerous example of this every year. Specifically, no one had ever heard of Ed Jovanovski at this juncture in 1994, and he went first over all.

So try and hold off on things like "no way he goes top 5". The reality is none of us have much of an idea how these players have progressed. So much improvement can happens at this age that some of these guys might be completely different players.

But based on everything I've read, Brule sounds like the real deal. And I don't think Schremp is a very good example as being a better prospect at the same age given Schremp improved very little in his draft year. Brule also brings a heck of a lot more to the table than his offensive game. Schremp is completely one-dimensional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad