Speculation: Top 5 Hockey Players in NHL today

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Not yet, but very soon. Crosby, McDavid ovechkin are obvious, I’d definitely put Mackinnon, sheifele (bad spelling I know lol) over Matthews ATM.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Not yet.

Mcdavid,
MacKinnon
Malkin
Ovechkin
Kucherov
Crosby

I would take for sure over him for now though he could pass his way up the list to around 2nd or 3rd

Bergeron,
Marchand
Wheeler
Schiefele
Eichel
Are forwards who can challange him in that second tier.

Right now he is b/w 7-12. He can crack top 5 by end of the year and hopefully with a strong playoff performance.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
He's close, but I think it's easy to value this more that it's really worth too, these guys are never going to compete head to head in a vacuum and Matthews' supporting cast is good enough to probably contend without him. He's a great player, and has a knack for scoring when the game is on the line in the clutch, and I think we'll see some big moments from him in important situations

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
When healthy he's top 5 IMO. Unfortunately, durability is a skill and must be taken into account as well.​

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
As long as he's healthy for a prolonged stretch of time, he absolutely has that capability. Comparing forwards to defencemen to goalies is fair, but it can also be a bit tricky.

member 147413

No he’s not. He needs to be dangerous every night, some days he doesn’t look as engaged. Marner looks dynamic every single night, but I think Matthews will be better after this week off. Also needs to be healthy more consistently.

Two years from now I think he’ll easily be Top 5. Marner May be there too.

Right now you gotta go

McDavid
Crosby
Ovechkin
Rantanen
Scheifele

Wouldn’t trade him for anyone but McDavid though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
No he’s not. He needs to be dangerous every night, some days he doesn’t look as engaged. Marner looks dynamic every single night, but I think Matthews will be better after this week off. Also needs to be healthy more consistently.

Two years from now I think he’ll easily be Top 5. Marner May be there too.

Right now you gotta go

McDavid
Crosby
Ovechkin
Rantanen
Scheifele

Wouldn’t trade him for anyone but McDavid though.
Glad to see Rantanen instead of MacKinnon.

I have seen enough Colarado fans say MacKinnon is a product of Rantanen. The sudden increase in production of MacKinnon after a few bad years lines up with the emergence of Rantanen too.

Reactions: FishManSam

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I hope he can bounce back, but he has been way off since that Trouba hit.

Bounce back?

Before the Trouba Hit: 11 games - 10 goals - 6 assists - minus 1 - 26% S% - 53% FO
After the Trouba Hit: 9 games - 7 goals - 6 assists - plus 10 - 25% S% - 54% FO

The eye test shows me he needs some work to get back to where he was and teams have adapted to his lethal shot by giving him no space but great players will adjust to that.

But if a 64 goal and 119 point pace season is "career ending" then sign me up and give me 20 more career ending players.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Bounce back?

Before the Trouba Hit: 11 games - 10 goals - 6 assists - minus 1 - 26% S% - 53% FO
After the Trouba Hit: 9 games - 7 goals - 6 assists - plus 10 - 25% S% - 54% FO

The eye test shows me he needs some work to get back to where he was and teams have adapted to his lethal shot by giving him no space but great players will adjust to that.

But if a 64 goal and 119 point pace season is "career ending" then sign me up and give me 20 more career ending players.

Hardly any difference by the numbers and how many post-hit minutes spent beside Willie who is not generating much? His injuries are concerning me a bit. He seems to get blown up by fairly modest contact. Hopefully he is just extremely unlucky as opposed to soft/brittle. A healthy remainder of the season would go a long way towards showing that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad