Top 5 from 2009 and 2010 drafts that you are excited about

crthomp

Apr 18, 2007
Just thought this would be a good thread. Name your top 5 favourite guys from the upcoming draft and the 2010 draft who you are most excited about. It doesn't necessarily have to be someone that will go in round 1 either (but of course it could be). If you can give reasons why, or one word answers that would be cool.

1. Tavares - will he live up to the hype
2. Toni Rajala - will he really be the best player out of finland in a long time?
3. Richard Panik - I love slick playing slovaks
4. Evander Kane - love the fact that he is lighting it up this year
5. Magnus Svensson-Paajarvii - Next forsberg???

1. Taylor Hall - Looks unreal for a 16 year old
2. Kirill Kabanov - I read comparisons to ovechkin and kovalchuk
3. Teemu Pulkkinen - could he be the best finn in years, or another bust
4. Ben Duffy - playing great for a rookie in the Q
5. Brandon Gormley - Looks great so far in his rookie year

HM to John McFarland

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Sorry, but defensemen aren’t exciting unless they’re Phaneuf-esque.

From the 2009 draft, I am highly anticipating:

John Tavares – a goal scoring phenom
Magnus Svensson Paajarvi – slick, exciting playmaker
Matt Duchene – top notch sniping, shifty, exceptional speed
Evander Kane – well rounded offensive game with grit
Olivier Roy – could be the next great goalie to come out of the QMJHL

I don’t know much about the 2010 draft at this point, except that Taylor Hall is an animal. Given the choice between anyone available in the 2009 draft (yes, even Tavares) and him, at this point I’d take Hall, no questions asked.

amnesiac*

Are you guys really forgetting VICTOR HEDMAN for some reason?

Hes maybe the best player out of the 2 drafts.

the_speedster

Jul 7, 2007
John Tavares: No matter what anyone says he's still head and shoulders ahead of any forward in north america

Evander Kane: dynamic, confident and all he's done is disprove doubters since his bantam draft year

Brayden Schenn: Poor start this year but there's no doubting the kid's got "it"

Nazeem Kadri: Anyone that young that comes out of the WJC camp as its best forward is sure to turn heads

Jared Cowen: threatening Hedman as the best D-man in the draft. Not in the same class (obviously) but brings more of a physical game than hedman (who basically has none)

Taylor Hall: Obviously

Jordan Weal: Thought he'd come back to earth by now but this kid is the TRUTH! maybe this year's brayden schenn)

Madic

May 21, 2008
Jared Cowen: threatening Hedman as the best D-man in the draft. Not in the same class (obviously) but brings more of a physical game than hedman (who basically has none)
Bah, I say. Hedman threw a few in the WJC's. And I'm fairly sure that's the only place we've seen him.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
Hedman
Paajarvi
Josefson
Lander (I want the Wings to draft him :D)
Panik

Outside of Tavares, I havent seen the NA prospects as much as I would have liked.. So nothing really to be excited about, yet.. Except for Tavares and Ellis... I have seen quite a bit of Tavares, and I hear good things about Ellis :D

From the 2010 draft, its only Hall and Kabanov so far..

Joretus

Toni Rajala.

Because if he is going to be picked at where he currently ranked, the Wild are going to snatch him :P

I would like to pick in both drafts fins. Why? Since I see 09 with Rajala and 10 with Granlund(yes Granlund, not Pulkkinen) that you could pick real gem with later 1st round pick. Of course top players are more exciting, but imho it's best excitment to get late round pick who will be great player.

Both have potential to do it, not sure if they will do it(mostly due size).

Lutzinho

May 25, 2008
Germany/Freiburg
Victor Hedman
Tomas Vincour
Jordan Schroeder
Ryan Ellis
Ryan O'Rielly
these 5 are my favorites from the '09 draft... from the '10 draft i like fowler and hall

Fuzzy Bunny

Mar 5, 2007
There are some great guys and obvious ones are the Hedman, Tavares, Schroeder, and so on. But as a Saskatoon guy I always will hold a bias to some of the great talent in the WHL I feel will succeed at a higher level.

Evander Kane, I have been touting this guy since he got into the WHL, great player.

Brayden Schenn

Stefan Elliot, since Mike Green left he is easily the best defenseman to go through the Blades system. Not sure if he is quite at Green quality at this point in time but as I get to more games I will make a better judgement on him.

Jared Cowen, He was seen as the #1 a while back, and to still be this high is something to be proud of because he has been under the microscope for so long. A big ole' Saskatchewan kid, there is never any guarantee's on anyone being a big time star, but this guy will learn to play a great physical role on some NHL team. Safe, safe pick.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Ryan Ellis in 09 (will his size force him down the draft?)
Joey Hishon 10 (Might be the best player Owen Sound has ever produced... better than Ryan at 17)

Puckluck11

Feb 13, 2008
Luleå

Josefson
Panik
Schroeder
Paajarvi
Bertilsson

Ohman
Granlund
Hall
Gormley
Kabanov, Barbashev, Gogolev, Kitsyn and all the other top russian prospects.

STHLM*

Josefson
Panik
Schroeder
Paajarvi
Bertilsson

Ohman
Granlund
Hall
Gormley
Kabanov, Barbashev, Gogolev, Kitsyn and all the other top russian prospects.

Who's that?

drew1234

Feb 6, 2008
Toronto

1. Schroeder - can he improve on last year if so wow.. just wow.. another pat kane?
2. Ellis - will his size be a limiting factor in this tourny or can he still rack the points up and be a doughty type player at the wjc.
3. Tavares - Can he live up to his expectations and with better linemates what is his potential?
4. Evander Kane - how good is he really compared to everyone else on his team.
5. MSP - How good is this guy. I want to see a good comparison of him against his competition.

(Hedman: I know what to expect of him and there really is nothing to prove but I expect him to be the top dman but im looking forward to see these other top 5 and can they meet the expectations).

2010:

Taylor Hall - Will he be the #1 centre on team canada? Awesome feat for a 16 year old.
Kabanov - I dont think he was on the russian / canada super series. so I doubt he wil be on the WJC team. I think only Taylor Hall will be the underager at the WJC.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden

Hedman - For obvious reasons
MSP - He is absolutely amazing to watch
Tavares - Have almost seen nothing of him but if the hype is true. I wouldnt want to miss him :)
Schroeder - Seems like a fun player to watch
Panik - Same here, heard alot of great stuf about him

Öhman - Top swedish prospect 2010
Hall - For obvious reasons

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
I'm not really "excited" per se about this guy, but I'm definitely interested in seeing what ends up happening with Andrei Kuchin.

For '09:
I'm definitely most excited about Paajarvi, Josefson, Tavares, Hedman, Rajala, and again I'm intrigued by Jordan Caron... I'd like to see if he can really bring all his tools together into a finished good.

pouskin74*

tavares
rajala
hedman
shroeder
paajarvi
NB: kuchin - he has been great during last month but without international appearance it seem like fight against devil
kabanov
pullkinen
kuznetsov
hall
fowler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad