Top-5 franchises of the 2010s?

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
After the top 4 of Chicago, Pittsburgh, LA & Boston....

5. Washington
6. St. Louis
7. Tampa Bay
8. San Jose
9. NY Rangers
10. Vancouver

Last edited:

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
Edmonton Oilers
Florida Panthers
New York Islanders
Ottawa Senators
Arizona Coyotes
Instead of listing five good teams you list five bad ones. That's comedy gold. Thank you for the contribution.

The top 6 is pretty obvious and only thing up for debate would be which way around would you place the Blues and the Caps. Teams like Sharks, Rangers and the Lightning have performed well but are in my personal opinion way behind the top 6 because one Cup weighs more than five good playoff runs in this discussion.

Reactions: Not So Mighty

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Washington is clearly 5th, and they've honestly got an argument for being ahead of Boston, although I would say that Boston was better.

After that, you've got to include St. Louis since they've got a Cup and it's not as if they had been a poor team outside of that Cup by any stretch.

Then it gets dicey between San Jose, Tampa, and the Rangers. I believe all 3 teams have lost twice in the conference finals and once in the Cup Finals. I'll go with San Jose for that #6 spot since they only missed the playoffs once, then I'll go with Tampa since they felt like a more dominant team than the Rangers.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Instead of listing five good teams you list five bad ones. That's comedy gold. Thank you for the contribution.

The top 6 is pretty obvious and only thing up for debate would be which way around would you place the Blues and the Caps. Teams like Sharks, Rangers and the Lightning have performed well but are in my personal opinion way behind the top 6 because one Cup weighs more than five good playoff runs in this discussion.
Glad you liked it. It makes my day knowing that I triggered you so much, erh I mean made you laugh so much that you decided you needed to quote and reply to my post instead of just bypassing it.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Washington is clearly 5th, and they've honestly got an argument for being ahead of Boston, although I would say that Boston was better.
They have zero argument over Boston. Washington has 894 regular season points since 2010/11 vs. Boston's 887. Washington's only trip past the 2nd round was when they won the Cup where as Boston has been to 3 Finals. That extremely small regular season edge in no way makes up for the difference in postseason success.

Reactions: weaponomega

solidmotion

Jun 5, 2012
1) Chicago - only team to win 3 cups this decade. Easy choice for #1 on my list.
2) Pittsburgh - back to back Cups means they edge out L.A.
3) Los Angeles - two Cups in the 2010s makes them a shoo-in for this next spot.
4) Boston - one Cup and two Finals appearances gives them the advantage over the Capitals.
5) Washington - could have gone with St. Louis here too, but both teams have one Cup, and the Caps have had more regular season success this decade (two Presidents' Trophies).

HM: St. Louis - see above
this is probably correct, BUT it is worth pointing out that los angeles was only really a relevant team for that crazy three-year peak—they haven't won a playoff round since 2014, and only made it twice in that time. even in that peak period, they were only really good in the playoffs: they never won their division in the entire decade. taking the decade as a whole, i might bump them down to 5th, with boston and washington moving up a spot each.

(looking into this a bit—i did not realize that anaheim won their division five years in a row. i don't remember ever thinking of them as a serious contender but they made two conference finals too. definitely a top-10 team of the decade—maybe #8 after st. louis and san jose.)

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
There were at least 30 teams that were in the league in this decade. If we have 10 different Cup winners (I’m counting 09-10 to make it an even 10 seasons for the decade), it’s less than a 1/3 chance to win. Since seven of the Cups were won by three teams, that only leaves three Cups to be won by other teams other than the three.

“The three” should be the top 3 the next two will be two of the three other Cup winners.

1 Chicago (three time Cup winner, could have won 4 if not for LA)
2 LA (two time Cup winner, could have wine three in a row if not for Chicago)
3 Pittsburgh (two timer, back to back runs...not as good as LA or Chicago, both of which put up three good runs in a row)

Drop off here...
4 Boston (Cup and Final appearance)
5 tie...St Louis and Washington (both teams with one Cup, both teams with several semi and conference final runs...regular season means nothing...Ovie doesn’t go swim in a fountain for the Presidents Trophy).

7 Here’s where it truly becomes interesting. 1-3 are a lock, 4-6 are relatively obvious. Does repeated playoff failure mean some sort of success? Do we measure worthless regular season wins? Does getting beat by the eventual Cup winner count for something? Nothing good here...

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
It’s Vancouver.

Come on man. You can’t be serious with this. If you combine the last four years (almost half of the decade) the team is literally 31st in the NHL. In this decade they’ve gone through multiple GMs and four coaches.

They haven’t won a series since 2011 western finals and their the fifth best team?

They have won two playoff games since 2012 and they were both in a first round loss to Calgary in 2015, and that one appearance in that 15’ playoffs was Literally the only time they’ve made the playoffs since 2013 when they got swept in round one by Sam Jose costing AV his job.

That right there disqualifies them Even if they won The cup in 2011, to be a top Five Team in the decade, also they’ve missed the playoffs half the time.

I know in 2011 and 2012 they won the presidents trophy it was a great team. A game seven loss in the finals followed by a out in five first round loss the next year. I personally think the north west division was utter garbage in both seasons van won that trophy (they were) , they got to beat up on them like 50 of the 82 games with how the schedule was back then. However it’s kind of a moot point because The Canucks record Against non NW division teams was very good back then too. Just the “it’s vancouver” sounded arrogant as if it was “a fact” lol..

I mean yeah, I’m a buffalo fan, but I’m not calling them a top five team In the decade here. I mean Buffalo arguably had about the same Success in the 00’s (presidents trophy, two east final runs) but I wouldn’t even call Them a top Five Team of that decade. Or suggest it.

But yeah back to Van, all in all The reason to me they couldnbe 11th or or 12th and I’ll Show why below, the biggest reasons are missing the playoffs for half of the decade won’t help things let alone being the very worst team in nearly the last half decade put together. That and having never won a series since 2011, with two playoff wins after 2012 in a first round loss are the key things that day a big giant NO.

I’d go

Chicago
Pittsburgh
LA
Boston
Washington

HM-Rangers, Ducks, Tampa

(Not sure why so many people are putting the blues fifth or sixth, they’re a top ten team no doubt and one cup sure whilsg usually being a competitive team and went to a west final in 2016 too but the rangers have won the presidents trophy in 2015 and went to the Stanley cup final, and two eastern conference finals in 2014 and 2015, while also having multiple playoff runs in the decade going on decent runs making the second round of 2016 too as well. Tampa bay has a presidents trophy, a cup final run in 15, three east final runs in 11 15,16 while also remaining competitive with two diffeeent core groups. And finally ducks. They won six straight division titles (5 or 6?) they went to the western finals in 2015 and they went to the western finals
In 2017, I believe theyve also had a presidents trophy but not sure on that one actually. The reason the ducks over a team like Vancouver is the sustained success six division titles and going far in the playoffs a few ones not just once, even though the ducks aren’t waaaay ahead of Van. Because if the ducks are 8th, Vancouver could Arguably be 11tth to me but I guess Vancouver has a case to be top ten but maybe below the top ten too Due to the sharks and blues.

Chicago
Pittsburgh
LA
Boston
Washingoton

As the top five

And the next five in any order

Rangers
Lightning
Ducks
Sharks
Blues

HM:
Nashville Vancouver

Remember this is about the decade this isn’t just about 2010-2015 or you’d have a case though.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
There were at least 30 teams that were in the league in this decade. If we have 10 different Cup winners (I’m counting 09-10 to make it an even 10 seasons for the decade), it’s less than a 1/3 chance to win. Since seven of the Cups were won by three teams, that only leaves three Cups to be won by other teams other than the three.

“The three” should be the top 3 the next two will be two of the three other Cup winners.

1 Chicago (three time Cup winner, could have won 4 if not for LA)
2 LA (two time Cup winner, could have wine three in a row if not for Chicago)
3 Pittsburgh (two timer, back to back runs...not as good as LA or Chicago, both of which put up three good runs in a row)

Drop off here...
4 Boston (Cup and Final appearance)
5 tie...St Louis and Washington (both teams with one Cup, both teams with several semi and conference final runs...regular season means nothing...Ovie doesn’t go swim in a fountain for the Presidents Trophy).

7 Here’s where it truly becomes interesting. 1-3 are a lock, 4-6 are relatively obvious. Does repeated playoff failure mean some sort of success? Do we measure worthless regular season wins? Does getting beat by the eventual Cup winner count for something? Nothing good here...

I'd argue Pittsburgh was better than LA in the non-Cup years, overall.

-Pittsburgh never once missed the playoffs during the entire 2010s decade. Los Angeles missed the playoffs 3 times.
-Pittsburgh made it out of the 1st round 4 times, whereas LA only made it out of the first round once.

Literally the only thing in the Kings' favor is that 3rd Cup finals appearance. But the Pens' back to back Cups, as well as consistently making the playoffs every single season, as well as getting out of the first round more when they don't win, should favor them.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
The Rangers made 3 ECF's and won a presidents trophy so I don't think it's as easy to discount them. It's very close between the Rangers and Sharks for me. Blues cup puts them right in the mix, arguably above the aforementioned

The kings first half of the decade was so strong. I think 2012-14 gets them in. But to be honest, their other years are average/bad enough to argue they shouldn't be top 5. Then again, 2 cups:dunno:

Totally.

I was coming here to praise the rangers with my post above and I am in no way a fan of
Them because not only Those three years of finals or conference finals but so many years being competitive and in the playoffs, ducks and lightning I gave props to as well Sharks blues predators then Canucks are probably teams 9-12 if those five and the three abovei just named are the top 8. Hope I’m not forgetting anyone after a glance, don’t think so.

I'd argue Pittsburgh was better than LA in the non-Cup years, overall.

-Pittsburgh never once missed the playoffs during the entire 2010s decade. Los Angeles missed the playoffs 3 times.
-Pittsburgh made it out of the 1st round 4 times, whereas LA only made it out of the first round once.

Literally the only thing in the Kings' favor is that 3rd Cup finals appearance. But the Pens' back to back Cups, as well as consistently making the playoffs every single season, as well as getting out of the first round more when they don't win, should favor them.

True.

Good points.

Also When the king won it both times they were not even favoured in either year very well. Still a top three-four team (3rd for me) but I would Give Pittsburgh second place, never missing the playoffs this decade is incredible. As is being the only team to win back to back cups in the last twenty years, wasn’t even done the decade before this. I don’t like the pens or rangers but had to give props to both for being 2nd and 6th in my view.

I’ll just order it actually: just my opinion

1) Chicago
2) Pens
3) Kings
4) Bruins
5) Capitals
6) Rangers
7) Lightning
8) Blues
9) Ducks
10) Sharks
11) Nashville
12) Vancouver

My opinion on why the rangers, bolts and maybe even the ducks could be ahead of the blues are above in a post one or two up.

Nashville Ahead of van after their cup final run In 17’ they also won the presidents trophy too in 18 but didn’t lose in round one (game seven of round two to a great jets team) unlike the Canucks and have been much more competitive then Vancouver in the decade in the playoffs etc. So that’s why they go ahead to me bur I can’t really another Team ahead of Vancouver at 12.

In fact I think those are the only twelve teams with any sense of actual bragging rights in the decade.

I guess jersey and philly made it to a cup final, Dallas made it to a couple of second rounds, and like philly has been on and off. I can’t think of anyone else with enough sustained success to list after 12. Vegas I guess has had a couple of successful seasons, (lol) they’ve actually done more in the 2 Seasons they’ve had then half the league has in ten. With a cup finals appearance a division title, and 5 series appearances ...(was even a period away from a 6th series)

Last edited:
Reactions: Allan92

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
1. Chicago - 3 cups
2. Pittsburgh - 2 cups
3. Los Angeles - 2 cups
4. Boston - 1 cup
5. Washington - 1 cup
6. St Louis - 1 cup (4th in points, 4th in wins). Easily #6

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
are we talking 2009 -2010 or 2010-2011?

Decades start in the 0 years and most people define seasons by the year they end in- 2006 Cup, 2006 season, etc. And if you do it that way, we also have the full decade worth of seasons to compare to, since next season will be the start of the next decade. And everybody here, save one guy, has counted Chicago's 2010 cup, so that's a popular consensus as well.

So yes, count 2010.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I would argue LA shouldn't be included but obviously two cups is a big deal

However they've had several mediocre to downright terrible regular seasons alongside a couple of first round exits as well. Whereas teams like the Caps, Tampa and San Jose have had a mix of regular season and playoff success, at a consistent rate throughout the decade

They are tied w/ PIT for second most titles of the 2010's, they are a shoo-in for the top 4 regardless of how the last couple of years played out.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

After that, you've got to include St. Louis since they've got a Cup and it's not as if they had been a poor team outside of that Cup by any stretch.

Then it gets dicey between San Jose, Tampa, and the Rangers. I believe all 3 teams have lost twice in the conference finals and once in the Cup Finals. I'll go with San Jose for that #6 spot since they only missed the playoffs once, then I'll go with Tampa since they felt like a more dominant team than the Rangers.

BOS has made 3 finals since 2010, I don't see the argument for them being behind the Caps.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I think Washington deserves that 5th spot. Constantly contends and they won a cup. San Jose and St. Louis battle it out for the 6th spot. Edge to St. Louis due to the cup win.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->