Top-5 franchises of the 2010s?

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
I would argue LA shouldn't be included but obviously two cups is a big deal

However they've had several mediocre to downright terrible regular seasons alongside a couple of first round exits as well. Whereas teams like the Caps, Tampa and San Jose have had a mix of regular season and playoff success, at a consistent rate throughout the decade

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
I meant after the top 4 the OP listed, I thought he was asking who would be after them

Ah I see, in that case, yeah, pretty much agree...I'd push caps ahead of kings, then it's probably between kings, Rangers and Sharks for the #5 spot

Incognito

Oct 18, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
1) Chicago - only team to win 3 cups this decade. Easy choice for #1 on my list.
2) Pittsburgh - back to back Cups means they edge out L.A.
3) Los Angeles - two Cups in the 2010s makes them a shoo-in for this next spot.
4) Boston - one Cup and two Finals appearances gives them the advantage over the Capitals.
5) Washington - could have gone with St. Louis here too, but both teams have one Cup, and the Caps have had more regular season success this decade (two Presidents' Trophies).

HM: St. Louis - see above

Last edited:

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Ah I see, in that case, yeah, pretty much agree...I'd push caps ahead of kings, then it's probably between kings, Rangers and Sharks for the #5 spot

Though the Rangers were very consistent in that stretch (until the last two seasons) I think it's kinda laughable to try to put them there. In the past 9 seasons they're only 9th in total wins with 1 Stanley Cup Finals appearance. That's...alright. I think it's foolish to ignore the Blues, who finally won the thing, and have won more games over that stretch than everyone other than the Capitals and Penguins. They've averaged 45 wins per season for almost a decade, which is terrific--exact same consistency as the Bruins.

I can't really dispute the Kings being there in that top 5. I think the Blues round it out, and there's a "next 5" made up of some combo of teams like the Rangers, Sharks, Canucks, Predators, Lightning, Ducks.

Reactions: Allan92

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
1) Chicago - only team to win 3 cups this decade. Easy choice for #1 on my list.
4) Boston - one Cup and two Finals appearances gives them the advantage over the Capitals.
5) Washington - could have gone with St. Louis here too, but both teams have one Cup, and the Caps have had more regular season success this decade (two Presidents' Trophies).

I think this is pretty much the definitive list. Chicago is the closest thing we'll ever see to a dynasty in the cap era, Pens back to back and a consistent powerhouse. LA had a hell of a peak with two cups, and I might bump them below Boston due to how hard they've crashed, Boston has been more consistent even with only one cup. Washington, regular season powerhouse for the full decade and a cup, despite their choking ways for most of the decade.

There are only 6 teams who have won cups in this decade, and of the 6, the Blues are the ones it makes the most sense to leave out. They did have more deep playoff runs than the Caps, but they also missed out more often, and the Caps won 9 playoff series in the decade compared to the Blues 8.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
From 2010-11 to 2018-19:

Most Regular Season Point Totals:

1. Pittsburg - 908
2. Washington - 894
3. Boston - 887
4. St. Louis - 875
5. Tampa* - 868
(Anaheim Ducks next with 859)

Most Regular Season Wins:

1. Pittsburg - 419
2. Washington - 408
3. Boston - 403
4. St. Louis - 403
5. Tampa* - 402
(San Jose Sharks next with 390)

Most Postseason Wins:
1. Boston - 62
2. Pittsburg - 59
3. Washington - 53
4. San Jose* - 52
5. Chicago - 51
(New York Rangers next with 47)

Stanley Cups:
Chicago - 2 (3 if you count 09-10 season), Pittsburg - 2, Los Angeles - 2, Boston - 1, Washington - 1, St. Louis - 1

I'd rank them:
1. Pittsburg (2 cups, dominant in post and regular season throughout the decade)
2. Chicago (2-3 cups, dominant in regular and post season for the first 2/3 of the decade)
3. Los Angeles (2 cups, dominant postseason team for the first half of the decade)
4. Boston (1 cup, dominant in regular and post season throughout the decade, multiple cup appearences)
5. Washington (1 cup, dominant in post and regular season throughout the decade)
6. St. Louis (1 cup, dominant regular season team throughout the decade)

And then: (7. San Jose), (8. Tampa), (9. New York) (10. Nashville)
Based on a combination of regular and post season success throughout the decade

Last edited:

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Though the Rangers were very consistent in that stretch (until the last two seasons) I think it's kinda laughable to try to put them there. In the past 9 seasons they're only 9th in total wins with 1 Stanley Cup Finals appearance. That's...alright. I think it's foolish to ignore the Blues, who finally won the thing, and have won more games over that stretch than everyone other than the Capitals and Penguins. They've averaged 45 wins per season for almost a decade, which is terrific--exact same consistency as the Bruins.

I can't really dispute the Kings being there in that top 5. I think the Blues round it out, and there's a "next 5" made up of some combo of teams like the Rangers, Sharks, Canucks, Predators, Lightning, Ducks.

The Rangers made 3 ECF's and won a presidents trophy so I don't think it's as easy to discount them. It's very close between the Rangers and Sharks for me. Blues cup puts them right in the mix, arguably above the aforementioned

The kings first half of the decade was so strong. I think 2012-14 gets them in. But to be honest, their other years are average/bad enough to argue they shouldn't be top 5. Then again, 2 cups:dunno:

Reactions: God Bless Mr Gritty

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa

Has to be this.

I suppose you could argue that there are several other franchises that have been very competitive like San Jose, Tampa, etc, but the ultimate prize will always be the Cup.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
1. Chicago
2. Pittsburgh
3. Los Angeles
4. Boston
5. Washington

I see no argument against who is in that top 5 or any of the positions they're in. If Boston won game 7, I think they would have catapulted up to #2.

snu22fint

Jun 19, 2016
From 2010-11 to 2018-19:

1. Pittsburg - 908
2. Washington - 894
3. Boston - 887
4. St. Louis - 875
5. Tampa* - 868

Most Regular Wins:

1. Pittsburg - 419
2. Washington - 408
3. Boston - 403
4. St. Louis - 403
5. Tampa* - 402

Most Postseason Wins:
1. Boston - 62
2. Pittsburg - 59
3. Washington - 53
4. San Jose* - 52
5. Chicago - 51

Stanley Cups:
Chicago - 2 (3 if you count 09-10 season), Pittsburg - 2, Los Angeles - 2, Boston - 1, Washington - 1, St. Louis - 1

I'd rank them:
1. Pittsburg (2 cups, dominant in post and regular season throughout the decade)
2. Chicago (2-3 cups, dominant in regular and post season for 2/3 of the decade)
3. Los Angeles (2 cups, dominant postseason team for the first half of the decade)
4. Boston (1 cup, dominant in regular and post season thought the decade, multiple cup appearences)
5. Washington (1 cup, dominant in post and regular season thought the decade)
6. St. Louis (1 cup, dominant regular season team thought the decade)

HM's: Tampa, San Jose
This is the correct answer tbh. I'm not angry if you swap Chicago and Pittsburg, or LA and Boston. Washington is definitely nr5.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
From 2010-11 to 2018-19:

1. Pittsburg - 908
2. Washington - 894
3. Boston - 887
4. St. Louis - 875
5. Tampa* - 868

Most Regular Wins:

1. Pittsburg - 419
2. Washington - 408
3. Boston - 403
4. St. Louis - 403
5. Tampa* - 402

Most Postseason Wins:
1. Boston - 62
2. Pittsburg - 59
3. Washington - 53
4. San Jose* - 52
5. Chicago - 51

Stanley Cups:

I'd rank them:
2. Chicago (2-3 cups, dominant in regular and post season for 2/3 of the decade)
4. Boston (1 cup, dominant in regular and post season thought the decade, multiple cup appearences)
5. Washington (1 cup, dominant in post and regular season thought the decade)
6. St. Louis (1 cup, dominant regular season team thought the decade)

HM's: Tampa, San Jose

Exactly this

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Man, at least the Capitals and Blues spiced things up a bit. Those years of the same few teams Cup-swapping was grueling.

The Rangers are at the party, unfortunately they’re sitting at the kids table with the Sharks and Lightning. I mean this question ultimately is between the Caps and Blues. The Caps definitely had quite a few, uh, what’s the word...bungles, during this timeframe. Personally I think you can make an argument for replacing the Blues with someone from the kids table, but with the weight a Cup carries in general, the Capitals would be #5 and the Blues the HM. The former pretty clearly edges out the latter IMO, despite said bungles (it’s not like the Blues’ history is sans-bungle anyway).

Last edited:

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Could probably shut it down after this one. Don't see how anyone could have it any other way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad