Top 5 Avs goalies

• Total voters

amoboko

Waikato Junglist
Jun 24, 2015
Belgium
Hi guys,

I'm a goalie fan.
My fan history goes abck to 93, at the age of 3 being a huge fan of the Nordiques and Roy ( it was the first game I ever saw broadcasted and by a coincident it was a also part of a storyline of a Belgian comic).
So Roy being my favorite I also like Aebischer and Fiset a lot ( both helped us win a title).

During the lockout 2004-2005 I started watching other sports and didn't really active follow the team until 2014-2015 (I know, but was studying, traveling, living abroad and working way too much).
So my recent fav goalies are Varly, Gru and Francouz.
If Pavel gets more icetime he could be a real asset to the team.
What are your picks.

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
Top-5 though, that's pretty tough.
Indeed but I don't have a top 5 favorite in Avs history, being a Habs fan first, Roy was the main reason why I followed the Avalanche. I do really like Sakic and Forsberg too.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Fav means a lot of different things to me.

I voted:

Roy
Giguere
Billington
Aebischer
Pickard

Different reasons for all of them. Roy needs no explaining. JSG because of what he meant to turning our mentality around and not accepting losing. Billington, classy organization-first guy who Patrick loved as his backup. Abby because I always had a soft spot for him with the pressure as Patrick’s heir. Pickard because I know him well and he’s just one of the easiest going, no-fuss dudes that gets along with anybody from all walks of life.

Least favourite?

Anderson
Theodore
Anderson
Raycroft
Anderson
Berra
Anderson
Salo
Anderson

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not sure how Aebischer is even in anybody's top 5, this guy is probably the biggest fraud to ever wear an Avs sweater.

Outside of Roy, Anderson, Varly, and Theo, Aebischer was the only Av goalie able to be solid as a starter. He wasn't good enough to be a full time #1 on a playoff team, but he did a better job when given that role than guys like Pickard, Budaj, Jiggy, Elliott, Raycroft, and up until a couple months ago Grubauer as well.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Outside of Roy, Anderson, Varly, and Theo, Aebischer was the only Av goalie able to be solid as a starter. He wasn't good enough to be a full time #1 on a playoff team, but he did a better job when given that role than guys like Pickard, Budaj, Jiggy, Elliott, Raycroft, and up until a couple months ago Grubauer as well.
Doesn't poll say favourite? You're technically right, but considering Avs put up with him as long as they did to try and win another Cup was simply nothing more than lost time. Kolesnik and Fiset were easily better, Fiset in particular was a borderline #1.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Doesn't poll say favourite? You're technically right, but considering Avs put up with him as long as they did to try and win another Cup was simply nothing more than lost time. Kolesnik and Fiset were easily better, Fiset in particular was a borderline #1.
Kolesnik played all of 8 games in the NHL (all with the Avs in the fall of 2005), and had a stellar .888 SV%. He was not "easily better" than Aebischer (who, admittedly, by 2005 was starting to fall off but still brought back Theodore).

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Kolesnik played all of 8 games in the NHL (all with the Avs in the fall of 2005), and had a stellar .888 SV%. He was not "easily better" than Aebischer (who, admittedly, by 2005 was starting to fall off but still brought back Theodore).
He fell off a cliff towards the end (I think language/culture was a big issue), but his peak was definitely better than Abby's. He had like a six game winning streak or something if I recall correctly.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
He fell off a cliff towards the end (I think language/culture was a big issue), but his peak was definitely better than Abby's. He had like a six game winning streak or something if I recall correctly.
I can't recall specifics, but I do remember liking him at the time and wished he'd stayed around.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Roy is my favorite. Of course he is. Giguere had a fairly unmemorable stint with the Avs since his career was winding down at that point, hut he remains one of my all-time favorites.

But one guy I'll always be appreciative of is Jose Theodore. Athletically speaking, dude was off the charts. That may have been part of the problem, as he relied (IMO at least) more on athleticism to make stops than sound mechanics. He also was the last goalie of record to deliver a postseason series victory prior to last night's events. And against THE WYLDE I might add. He'll always be way, way high on my list.

As for Varly...I don't know. There are certain factors that bother me about him, both on and off the ice. I don't begrudge ANYONE for rooting for the guy, nor do I deny that he has been hands-down the best starting goaltender for the Avs since Patrick Roy. That's just MHO, and I don't care to elaborate any further on that particular subject.

Lastly, I remain a big Peter Budaj fan merely because the guy might have been the nicest person to ever don an Avs jersey, and also stepped up in extended stints when the team needed him to do so. Guys like Theodore were always so effusive with praise for him.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Kolesnk was the man!

Also voted for Salo - cause he's a fellow Swede....and Fiset...cause he was better than he got credit for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad