Top 5 D groups in Flyers history, #1

Which Flyers teams had the best D-groups on paper?

• 1973-74: Joe Watson, Andre Dupont, Tom Bladon, Jimmy Watson, Ed van Impe, Barry Ashbee

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • 1974-75: Joe Watson, Andre Dupont, Tom Bladon, Jimmy Watson, Ed van Impe, Ted Harris

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • 1975-76: Joe Watson, Andre Dupont, Tom Bladon, Jimmy Watson, Larry Goodenough, Jack McIlhargey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1977-78: Joe Watson, Andre Dupont, Tom Bladon, Jimmy Watson, Bob Dailey, Kevin McCarthy

• 1982-83: Mark Howe, Behn Wilson, Brad McCrimmon, Brad Marsh, Miroslav Dvorak, Glen Cochrane

• 1984-85: Mark Howe, Brad McCrimmon, Brad Marsh, Doug Crossman, Thomas Eriksson, Miroslav Dvorak

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • 1986-87: Mark Howe, Brad McCrimmon, Brad Marsh, Doug Crossman, Kjell Samuelsson, J.J. Daigneault

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • 1996-97: Eric Desjardins, Paul Coffey, Janne Niinimaa, Chris Therien, Karl Dykhuis, Petr Svoboda

• 2001-02: Eric Desjardins, Kim Johnsson, Eric Weinrich, Dan McGillis, Chris Therien, Luke Richardson

• 2002-03: Eric Desjardins, Kim Johnsson, Eric Weinrich, Ragnarsson, Yushkevich, Chris Therien

• 2010-11: Chris Pronger, Kimmo Timonen, Braydon Coburn, Matt Carle, Andrej Meszaros, Sean O'Donnell

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Thought about this one the other day and it intrigued me... quite a few stacked groups the Flyers have iced since their inception.

Which do people think was the best group on paper?

I am pretty torn myself!

Also if people have suggestions of other years to be added feel welcome, though I am quite sure the objective top 5 are all options already.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
Thought about this one the other day and it intrigued me... quite a few stacked groups the Flyers have iced since their inception.

Which do people think was the best group on paper?

I am pretty torn myself!

Also if people have suggestions of other years to be added feel welcome, though I am quite sure the objective top 5 are all options already.
I cant even decide! Too many good options lol

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
The 2010/11 caught me by honest surprise - it feels like much longer than 6 years since Carle, Coburn and Mez were effective players.

Reactions: JXC

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Was a tough choice for me between 86-87 and 10-11 but I went 86-87.

If we had that 10-11 defense 1 season earlier it may have been the difference between losing to Chicago and winning.

Our top 4 in 09-10 was pretty well gassed by Game 5 of the Finals. I think Pronger was -5 in Game 5 if i'm not mistaken. Having a reliable 3rd pair would have been huge. Although so would having a competent #1 goalie.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm usually lost when it comes to these polls, or lists in general, because I find it impossible to make a decision. But this is probably the easiest vote I have ever had to cast in anything. Doug Crossman is one of my favorite Flyers of all time - I bought a blank '87 sweater and spent a lot of time and attention getting it perfectly right, with Crossman's name and number, and the Pelle "31" on the sleeve, and I wore it constantly, including as my uni in indoor soccer. I worship Mark Howe. I want to ride on Big Kjell's shoulders to go anywhere, and knowing how to pronounce his first name gave me a leg up when I got to Sweden. Brad McCrimmon, may he rest in peace, is one of the most underrated Flyers of all time. Brad Marsh was as tough as all f***, and JJ gave me my favorite moment as a Flyers fan, the closest I have ever come to having my heart explode out of my chest like in "Alien."

We have had a lot of teams that have shown a lot of heart, but we have never had a team that showed more heart than that one - not ever. If we ever do get another team that matches it, I will be happily shocked to death.

Reactions: JXC and hatcher

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
While it is very hard to pass up selecting Howe/Beast & Co. in any incarnation... I had to vote for the First Cup Team ... especially after reflecting on their Stats. Granted they had Bernie backstopping them... but still, their GA for the Season was plain filthy... so much so that the following Season's paled in its shadow. Shero and Allen had their Defense... and Forwards, for that matter, geared to shutting down the Opposition, while allowing the Flyers to score a lot themselves... and gooning really didn't have as much to do with it as people liked to think... it was the System.

With all that said... I would be surprised if they get much support on here... not very many people here have actually lived through their Era and was able to see them play live -- video does not do them justice... even if people would actually view them -- I'm fully expecting the 80's Teams and going forward to gather most of the support... and it is what it is.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I lived throught the first cup teams, but Pronger, until he got hurt, was the most dominant D-man I think the Flyers ever had, Howe was more skilled offensively, but Pronger was a beast, had he stayed healthy they might have gotten the Cup to Philly before cap hell struck.

Freddy The Fog

Don't live in the fast lane. Live on the off ramp
Aug 3, 2005
Off topic (sincere apologies): Yet another old reason to always hate the Leafs. Useless shits don't deserve the talent they're accumulating.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Off topic (sincere apologies): Yet another old reason to always hate the Leafs. Useless ****s don't deserve the talent they're accumulating.

The amazing thing is how he would pull the same routine over and over again... and then when Toronto would finally go on the PP... after his performance finally came to its completion... Darcy would be there on the ice... fresh as the driven snow. I hated Darcy Tucker. SMH

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
I lived throught the first cup teams, but Pronger, until he got hurt, was the most dominant D-man I think the Flyers ever had, Howe was more skilled offensively, but Pronger was a beast, had he stayed healthy they might have gotten the Cup to Philly before cap hell struck.
In a town that has been stung by so many career ending events, Pronger's is among the most damaging, right there with Lindros, Ryan Howard, Jerome Brown, Lindbergh

Reactions: Sawdalite

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
In a town that has been stung by so many career ending events, Pronger's is among the most damaging, right there with Lindros, Ryan Howard, Jerome Brown, Lindbergh

Don't forget Bernie Parent. While Barry Ashbee's on-ice injury was graphic and sickening, Parent's was far less vivid but we all knew something depressing and somber had just occurred.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
There's also Hextall never being the same after the groin injury.
And if Emery's hip doesn't literally die...

When Nolan was being helped down the tunnel last night, the long road of our past misfortunes was unfolding in my head and I just started feeling sorry for myself. Could there be anything more utterly typical than our #2 overall, who we got only because the universe decided we were finally due some karma, getting jacked out of existence in the ninth game of his career? I could just see the universe out there cackling and giving us the finger. F*** you, universe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad