Music: Top 5 Best Canadian Bands

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
But as far as mainstream popular (Top 40) musicians and actors, often if they are not American or British they are Canadian. After us it seems to be Australian and probably Swedish or German.

This is just from what I've noticed.

Personally, I dont think we give our country enough credit.

we dont...canadian female artists alone dwarf most any other country and their output.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
The Tragically Hip
Matthew Good Band
Neil Young
Our Lady peace(pre 2000)
Tea Party

Tragically Hip are great.

Tea Party are amazing. So underrated. Saw them live and they blew the roof off.

I also agree on Our Lady Peace. Pre- mid-2001 I would say though. Spiritual Machines came out in Dec 2000 and was in my opinion their best experimental studio album. Live performances they dropped off after 1998. Weren't consistent enough.

I don't think OLP got enough credit for their diversity between the first four albums.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Canada has only produced one song to hit the US Billboard No. 1 song. That was "Call Me Maybe".

You mean recorded in Canada as opposed to a Canadian artist because there have been several Canadian Artists to hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 ?

Edit:
Nope
This was the first one I checked.
Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot
Engineered by Lee Herschberg
Recorded at Eastern Sound Studios, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Released as a single in March 1974.
"Sundown" reached No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100

Last edited:

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
You mean recorded in Canada as opposed to a Canadian artist because there have been several Canadian Artists to hit #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 ?

Edit:
Nope
This was the first one I checked.
Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot
Engineered by Lee Herschberg
Recorded at Eastern Sound Studios, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Released as a single in March 1974.
"Sundown" reached No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100

Produced by United Artists out of Los Angeles. Yes, it was recorded in Toronto but the recording was underwritten and overseen by an American record label.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
My personal list:

1. The Guess Who
2. Rush
3. The Hip
4. The Trews
5 . SheepDogs

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Produced by United Artists out of Los Angeles. Yes, it was recorded in Toronto but the recording was underwritten and overseen by an American record label.

Ok.

So what is it you're saying then? No Canadian produced song hit the BB #1 until Call Me Maybe?

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Ok.

So what is it you're saying then? No Canadian produced song hit the BB #1 until Call Me Maybe?

Correct. A Canadian song that was not gatekept by Americans. Not held up to any American standard of worthwhile and enjoyed by Canadians before being accepted by Americans.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad