Music: Top 5 Best Canadian Bands

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Canada has only produced one song to hit the US Billboard No. 1 song. That was "Call Me Maybe". Canadian English music has been ascendant in the 21st century, ever since proper recording studios were established in Toronto. Vancouver has an okay group of music studios as early as 1970 (Chilliwack was one of the first bands to record in Little Mountain Studio) but the first real album that signaled Toronto had turned the corner¹ was Blue Rodeo's 1993 album, "Five Days In July".

¹ And by corner, I mean saying that it had a working studio that was as good as Hollywood, New York, Nashville, Paris, Berlin, Stockholm, Tokyo and London.

Had to google this, it's incorrect. It was the first to hit the US Billboard #1 since Avril Lavigne's Girlfriend in 2007.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
So many choices here man. You got some of the country and classic rock like Blue Rodeo, The Guess Who, BTO, Rush, Barenaked Ladies.

We got some great metal in the form of Voivod, Protest the Hero, Kataklysm, Annihilator, Strapping Young Lad, Devin Townsend both solo and with DTP, 3 Inches of Blood and more.

A lot of punk/pop punk/hardcore punk like Propaghandi, Dayglo Abortions, Alexisonfire, Billy Talent, Sum 41. Some Celtic punk like The Real McKenzies and The Dreadnoughts. Even some psychobilly with The Creepshow and Raygun Cowboys.

Canada produces a lot of diverse music to enjoy.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Some Canadian artists have been way more popular than Canadian bands. For example, pop queen Céline and country diva Shania, together probably sold more records than the rest combined. A lot of male crooners were also bigger hits than we might think. Paul Anka, Adams, Gino, Corey, Young, Cohen, etc.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
Had to google this, it's incorrect. It was the first to hit the US Billboard #1 since Avril Lavigne's Girlfriend in 2007.

That would be incorrect. Avril Lavigne recorded the song in New York, had parts co-written by Americans in America and had its first debut in America. It is rather not produced in Canada. Contrast this Carly Rae Jepsen who recorded the song in Vancouver, co-written by only Canadians and signed under Chad Kroeger's record label, 604 Records, as well as debuting in Canada as it spent 29 weeks on the Canadian charts before making its debut in the US.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
The Tragically Hip
Blue Rodeo
Our Lady Peace
The Guess Who/Bachman-Turner Overdrive
Rush

And a band I'm currently enjoying a lot is The Glorious Sons.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Personal favourites, in no particular order:

Arkells
July Talk
Rural Alberta Advantage
The Tragically Hip
The Band

HM: Headstones, Moist, Arcade Fire, 54-40, Our Lady Peace

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Sloan had a pretty good run of solid power pop albums. I like a good portion of it but that seems like a somewhat disrespected genre in general.

Desdichado93

Jan 7, 2012
Sweden
The Mahones and The Real McKenzies are the only ones that ones that I'm familiar with.

I obviously know of Rush, Steppenwolf and Bachman-Turner-Overdrive but not familiar with their music.
There is also Bryan Adams but he is a solo artist.

PepperKeenan

Sep 22, 2012
Sweden
Reading the thread I was surprised by two things. 1; Nobody has mentioned Danko Jones and #2 Danko Jones' the only canadian artist that I like.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Is it bad that I don't know who this is?

I saw him at a club opening for Andrew WK.

He’s sort of at the nexus of hard rock, metal, pop and punk.

He’s got frontman chops and charisma.

This may be his biggest hit song:

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
@Daximus Strapping Young Lad created the craziest crowds i will always remember. One of my fav bands ever, def. the best Canadian band in my book! Townsend and Hoglan together...and Jed and Byron rounded it out perfectly. The live sound couldn't be duplicated on recording. Everything Devin ad libbed was brilliant.

I'd still travel pretty much anywhere if they announced another show the 4 of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daximus

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
@Daximus Strapping Young Lad created the craziest crowds i will always remember. One of my fav bands ever, def. the best Canadian band in my book! Townsend and Hoglan together...and Jed and Byron rounded it out perfectly. The live sound couldn't be duplicated on recording. Everything Devin ad libbed was brilliant.

I'd still travel pretty much anywhere if they announced another show the 4 of them.

As would I, but my understanding is Devin just can't handle SYL anymore with his bipolar issues, so I just can't see it happening.

Reactions: Daximus

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Matthew Good Band. Arguably one of the most underrated bands from Canada, buried because they hated the spotlight and ridiculed the record companies for advocating garbage on the radio just to make money.

Reactions: Oil Change and JJ68

Bronxxx

Dec 2, 2018
Arkells
BTO
Guess who
stampeders
Doug and the Slugs
Junkhouse

Last edited:

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017