36. Sharks - Edstrom
37. Canadiens - Minnetian
38. Coyotes - Fowler
39. Sabres - Nelson
40. Capitals - Bonk

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Sharks aren’t passing on Michkov unless Carlsson is there. The other two picks are fine. I wouldn’t be happy but they’d be fine.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Sharks aren’t passing on Michkov unless Carlsson is there. The other two picks are fine. I wouldn’t be happy but they’d be fine.
I really don’t think you can definitely say whether or not the Sharks are passing on Michkov. I’d like to say they’ll take him, but we have no way of knowing until the pick happens. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Smith were the pick.

I’d be fairly happy with Dragicevic at 26th. Edstrom would be perfectly fine at 36th, though with Bystedt already in the system he’s not my first choice. I might prefer Minnetian, out of guys available that you list.

On a non-Sharks note, love to see Benson at 7th, Danielson at 18th would be a steal, and I like the ballsy Matthew Mania pick in the early 2nd.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I don't think the draft could fall worse than this for the Canes. I hope we'd take Musty in this scenario or trade our pick.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Don't see the Rangers opting for a bit of a project in But with some of the other names on the board there. If I had to guess, they'd opt for Heidt at that spot if they didn't try to move up. I also wouldn't be shocked to see them opt for a high-motor winger like Brindley, Lardis, or Sawchyn

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Not a chance the Blues take ASP at 10th only to turn around and take Gulyayev at 29th.
I feel that with 3 picks they can swing for the fences with that pick, one is RD one is LD, Gulyayev would be close to the top 15 if he'd be playing in NA

I don't think the draft could fall worse than this for the Canes. I hope we'd take Musty in this scenario or trade our pick.
Not a Brindley fan? I see him as a perfect fit there

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Don't see the Rangers opting for a bit of a project in But with some of the other names on the board there. If I had to guess, they'd opt for Heidt at that spot if they didn't try to move up. I also wouldn't be shocked to see them opt for a high-motor winger like Brindley, Lardis, or Sawchyn

Sawchyn is a C no?

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
He's a player in the exact same vein as Aho, Necas, Jarvis, TT and almost all of our best F specs...small, agile, cerebral, tenacious, more of a playmaker and puck carrier than a goal-scorer. We really need a couple power forwards/net-front guys with goal scoring ability and have for quite some time to round us out upfront.

It's what we hoped Svechnikov would become, hope Kotkaniemi can become, it's why we went out and got MaxPac, were apparently in on Tkachuk until Florida pushed in all their chips on what everyone called a crazy over-pay at the time. It's what caught up with us in the playoffs this year, last year too...if we'd had a guy who could flat out snipe and push through to net second-chancers, it's very probably a different series with Florida.

Those kinds of guys don't come available very often, and certainly not when they're young and before wear and tear starts to bring them down. Even bad teams prepping to rebuild who have them (Washington: Wilson, Arizona: Crouse) are reticent to move them. If you want them in their prime, you kind of have to draft and develop them...and there project to be several right around where we're picking. Those guys usually aren't there that late in the 1st.

It would be disappointing to miss on them.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I feel that with 3 picks they can swing for the fences with that pick, one is RD one is LD, Gulyayev would be close to the top 15 if he'd be playing in NA

Personally I'd love two D added to a prospect pool that has absolutely nothing approaching top 4 potential, not these two but 2 of Simashev, Strbak, Willander or Brzustewicz would be great.

I'm not just going off my personal opinion here though, I'm going off the Blues draft tendencies where they hardly ever pick D in the 1st Rd. 2012 was the last time they did that just for reference. Now they're going to all of a sudden use 2 of 3 1sts on D? Man I'd freaking love that but I have a tough time seeing it.

Yes they have three 1sts, they'll likely trade one but for the sake of argument let's say they use all three. Given their draft tendencies it's likely they only take one D between those three 1sts and highly unlikely they take ASP at 10th. Dudes 5'11, 180. My guess would be that they would much prefer Reinbacher(6'2, 185), Simashev(6'4, 200) or Willander(6'1, 181) if they were dead set on a D at 10th, and for the record I think they're taking a forward. I can guarantee they don't take two sub 6'0 D out of their three 1sts though and when they do take one it will be a guy that can be given any kind of usage that's taller and heavier than ASP and Gulyayev.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Sawchyn is a C no?
He’s played both and is at C now for them, but I think he’ll ultimately be most effective as a W at the next level. I’m expecting him to continue as a C getting big minutes next year, but can see him starting as a W at the pro level like Tomasino has in Nashville

Reactions: ZDH

spfan

May 4, 2009
I'll definitely be upset if Michkov goes to Caps and that many teams make pass on the better player.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Round One
1.Blackhawks - Bedard
2. Ducks - Fantilli
3. Blue Jackets - Carlsson
4. Sharks - Smith
5. Canadiens - Leonard
6. Coyotes - Reinbacher
7. Flyers - Benson
8. Capitals - Michkov
9. Red Wings - Dvorsky
10. Blues - Sandin-Pellikka
11. Canucks - Wood
12. Coyotes - Moore
13. Sabres - Wallinder
14. Penguins - Perreault
15. Predators - Barlow
16. Flames - Yager
17. Red Wings - Sale
18. Jets - Danielson
19. Blackhawks - Stenberg
20. Kraken - Honzek
21. Wild - Ritchie
22. Blue Jackets - Simashev
23. Rangers - But
24. Predators - Molendyk
25. Blues - Heidt
26. Sharks - Dragicevic
27. Avalanche - Nadeau
28. Maple Leafs - Strbak
29. Blues - Gulyayev
30. Hurricanes - Brindley
31. Canadiens - Hrabal
32. Knights - Cristall

Round Two
33. Ducks - Lardis
34. Blue Jackets - Musty
35. Blackhawks - Mania
36. Sharks - Edstrom
37. Canadiens - Minnetian
38. Coyotes - Fowler
39. Sabres - Nelson
40. Capitals - Bonk

Just curious.

Why did you stop at 40?

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
Nice mock, but what I seem to find with quite a few of the mocks is that there seems to be a mindset that Michkov will fall all the way to Washington and they will have a future replacement for OV. I just can’t see 7 teams passing on this guy if he’s the second best talent in the draft, no matter what’s happening with his contract and the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Personally I will be pissed if he’s available at 5 and the Habs pass on him. Just my 2 cents

Reactions: HABitual Fan

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
Nice mock, but what I seem to find with quite a few of the mocks is that there seems to be a mindset that Michkov will fall all the way to Washington and they will have a future replacement for OV. I just can’t see 7 teams passing on this guy if he’s the second best talent in the draft, no matter what’s happening with his contract and the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Personally I will be pissed if he’s available at 5 and the Habs pass on him. Just my 2 cents
I'm 50/50 on it, I think the general situation in Russia has too much high odds of making all Russian talent playing there drop considérably

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think Michkov to the Sharks makes way to much sense. They really have just started on their rebuild. They still have plenty of players to move on from and are a team that can really afford to wait for Michkov to come over while they get the rest of their ducks in a row and look to acquire more picks over the next few drafts and build out from there.

I know it looks sexy for the Caps to take Michkov, but I just don't see him even getting past SJ let alone Montreal, Arizona and Philly.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Ooof, those Blues D. Heidt isn't bad there, but yeah we're not hurting for offensive PMDs right now.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
I think Michkov to the Sharks makes way to much sense. They really have just started on their rebuild. They still have plenty of players to move on from and are a team that can really afford to wait for Michkov to come over while they get the rest of their ducks in a row and look to acquire more picks over the next few drafts and build out from there.

I know it looks sexy for the Caps to take Michkov, but I just don't see him even getting past SJ let alone Montreal, Arizona and Philly.
I think if not San Jose, Michkov ends up in Washington. I can't see Montreal taking him, same for Phoenix, I could see him delay his NHL debut if drafted by the Coyotes and be free agent way sooner.

Philly just went through the Fedotov crap and might just tap out regarding Russian talent and Washington will grab him, ask Ovi to call Putin and call it a day

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I think if not San Jose, Michkov ends up in Washington. I can't see Montreal taking him, same for Phoenix, I could see him delay his NHL debut if drafted by the Coyotes and be free agent way sooner.

Philly just went through the Fedotov crap and might just tap out regarding Russian talent and Washington will grab him, ask Ovi to call Putin and call it a day
SJ is pretty unpredictable considering the whole scouting team is new so we really cant say. Hopefully they are bold enough

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

As far as the rules go for KHL players they would retain his rights indefinitely because there is no transfer agreement with the NHL and KHL. This is why you can go to some teams drafted players charts and see Russian born players on there in their 30's that just never came over. So if the Yotes want to just sit on him and then trade his rights for a kings ransom down the road they can. He would need to put in so many years based on his age in the NHL to make it to FA.

Based on how things generally go for the Yotes, this might honestly be the best avenue for them. Draft Michkov, sit on him until he is done his KHL contract and wants to come overseas and then just offer up his rights for a kings ransom.

Last edited:
Reactions: themelkman

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
As far as the rules go for KHL players they would retain his rights indefinitely because there is no transfer agreement with the NHL and KHL. This is why you can go to some teams drafted players charts and see Russian born players on there in their 30's that just never came over. So if the Yotes want to just sit on him and then trade his rights for a kings ransom down the road they can. He would need to put in so many years based on his age in the NHL to make it to FA.

Based on how things generally go for the Yotes, this might honestly be the best avenue for them. Draft Michkov, sit on him until he is done his KHL contract and wants to come overseas and then just offer up his rights for a kings ransom.
I guess the big risk there is how much will teams pay for a guy coming from the KHL. Yes he could be dominating but when he comes to the NHL is he Kaprisov or Gusev, Kovalchuk or Shipachyov? How much would a team be willing to pay for that risk?

(This is also a genuine question. Like I’m not saying he won’t return anything because he would but would it be enough to say pass on Will Smith or David Reinbacher for SJ/ARI with the assumption they will move his rights when he’s coming over)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad