Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
cujorulz said:
i think that koivu-Pushkarev-Whitney-stuart-seabrook should be on the list

Koivu I don't think he's progressed all that well, I could easily be wrong.

Pushkarev I had listed towards the bottom but took him off cause I have never seen him play and really don't know much about him. I'm all ears as to why he should be on the list.

Whitney, I'm just not that high on, I still think Welch is much better then Whitney

Stuart should be on there, but I have him lower down the list then most it seems. I went with Jurcina instead.

Seabrook I can't say too much about. I've heard a knock on him is his hip pivot (I had a professional scout explain this to me, but he did say Seabrook is getting better in his turns). Maybe he should be on there. Haven't been overly impressed with his game.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
montreal said:
Yes it's his job to hit, and he doesn't score enough. Have you seen him play often?
Why does he have to be a hitter?

Its not his game. Just like it isn't for Gonchar or Leetch or Tarnstrom for their respective NHL teams. And as for not scoring enough, BU were a poor team this year, yet Whitney lead them in scoring. What else do you expect him to do? One player can't do it all. He had 9 goals and 25 points in 38 games on a struggling team as a defensman. Very commendable.

I've only seen him play twice on video. I've read numerous accounts and opinions that his offensive skills are excellent. He's not great physically, but who cares? He has other strengths to compensate for whatever he lacks physically.

punchy1

Nov 11, 2003
Kiwiville.
st_roland said:
Why do you have to be so f'n rude? He just put up this list as a favor to me, and all he gets from the peanut gallery is insults like this. If you want to see someone with class post how he disagrees with an opinion, check out Brocks post.

Why do yo have to be so f'n sensitive, its obvious I am having a piss and meant no harm by my comments at all. Of course this has nothing to do with your opinion of what I wrote regarding this particular post and is simply your ongoing stalking/hacking me around so i am cool with it mate.

I wrote a silly obvious joke (sad attempt but I am no comic and know it for certain)to what I saw were a silly ranking of players, I didn't see the thread originator complaining about it, he probably got my sad but honest joke.

I mean, I reckon it were also rude when I said that I fancied he put a lot of work in it and while I didn't agree with it that doesn't make it right or wrong and congradulated him on the list as well. I reckon that were rude then, right mate?

So, lighten up buttercup, we are all just having fun here and that includes when we are having a piss. Right? or is it a serious thing with you, as it always seems to be.

ta da francis, all is well on my end mate.

(wink)

Last edited:

jacklours

Mar 5, 2003
Magog
I read several posters who said that Montreal was Biased and they would rather have that guy or this guy instead of whoever he putted in. Well, I think most of the posters here are biased the big majority would like to add prospect that are North American and take off prospects that are European. Wether or not it is on purpose it just shows that you are biased towards NA because many of you haven't seen any Euro players. Well Montreal states, and I believe him that he saw whoever he ranks, so I have almost blind confidence in the guy.

Dundalis

Dec 28, 2003
Im sorry but talent level doesnt translate to good NHL player. Over the years there have been many players, who have been much less talented than others and gone on to be excellent NHL players while others superbly skilled have sucked or not even made the grade. To say Parise will put up 70-80 points and Steen 50-60 is a joke, you cannot tell until they are in the NHL. That is why it is an opinion, and Montreal's list may eventually prove correct, who knows? All I know is that talent and pure skill are not everything.

leafaholix*

Dundalis said:
Im sorry but talent level doesnt translate to good NHL player. Over the years there have been many players, who have been much less talented than others and gone on to be excellent NHL players while others superbly skilled have sucked or not even made the grade. To say Parise will put up 70-80 points and Steen 50-60 is a joke, you cannot tell until they are in the NHL. That is why it is an opinion, and Montreal's list may eventually prove correct, who knows? All I know is that talent and pure skill are not everything.
You know what else is a joke?

Saying Parise is the better leader because most of the "good leaders in the NHL are North American".

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Leafaholix said:

Saying Parise is the better leader because most of the "good leaders in the NHL are North American".

I think only a small percent of that statement is true, as captains need to be vocal and by being vocal you need to control the English language. Some Europeans don't even speak a word English so I think he has a very small point.

leafaholix*

Modano = God said:
I think only a small percent of that statement is true, as captains need to be vocal and by being vocal you need to control the English language. Some Europeans don't even speak a word English so I think he has a very small point.
His point was the Zach Parise is a better leader then Alexander Steen because he's from North America and most great leaders in the NHL are North American. He makes that comment without considering the fact that Alexander Steen had the option to play for Team Canada at the 2003 WJC because he spent the first 12 years of his life in Winnipeg... meaning that his english is fluent.

His point had nothing to do with the language barrier.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
montreal said:
He got called up to the NHL

That was mid-season, and he only played 2 games.

Not a bad list though :). I like Suter at 6, although I still believe he is better than Phaneuf

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Leafaholix said:

You know whats a joke, your argument. Parise leads team USA in points two years in a row, he leads the WJC in points his second year while winning MVP, Best Forward and on the All Star team. Steen wasn't on any of these teams. Nobody scored against Parise's line even strength the whole tourniment. USA was either #1 or #2 in PK and Parise was on their #1 PK unit. He was on the tourniments #2 PP. Thats just how he dominated at the WJC.

Currently in the NCAA he is a two time Hobey Baker finalist at the age of 19. He still may win this years award. Considered the best two way forward in all NCAA ranks. Raced "offense powerhouse" Vanek to 100 points in far less games in the two seasons both were there. Many college observers thing he is the best player in the college ranks since Paul Kariya. He had 61 points in 39 games last year as an 18 year old along with 55 points in 36 games so far this year. He is a +36 in the 36 games he has played this year.

Open your damn eyes and stop being a homer.

SwOOsh*

There is no point in arguing that Steen is better then Parise. Parise is just that much better.

Parise >>> Steen

leafaholix*

JasonMacIsaac said:
Open your damn eyes and stop being a homer.
Oh, so saying that he's overrated on these boards makes me a "homer"?

And saying your player is a better leader because he's from North America isn't? You just came up with a lame reason why you think he's the better leader.

That's my problem... you want to say he's the better offensive player... fine. But to say he's a better leader then Steen because Zach's North American makes you look like the homer.

"Parise is a better playmaker/scorer, better defensivly (allthough Steen is good), better leader. Heck Parise is just an allround better player... Parise has 1st line center, 70-80 point potential playing good two way hockey. Steen 50-60 two way 2nd line forward."
I'm not sure how you measure "leadership"... please explain your method.

Duster

Feb 20, 2004
SwOOsh said:
There is no point in arguing that Steen is better then Parise. Parise is just that much better.

Parise >>> Steen

Interesting list Dan. Thanks for your efforts. Makes for some interesting discussions...

I've never seen Parise play but have seen Steen play a few times. I can safely say that there are many players currently in the AHL that are "better" than Steen IMO.

I would think it is really hard to say if Parise is better or not since he is playing College hockey. He certainly got a lot of press and hype this year. Furthermore, Parise and Steen seem to be different players with a different approach to the game so is a comparison useful?

leafaholix*

Duster said:
I've never seen Parise play but have seen Steen play a few times. I can safely say that there are many players currently in the AHL that are "better" than Steen IMO.
I'd say it's hard to say there are "better" players then Steen considering he's playing in a different league... in a different country. But in terms of skills, Steen is as good as any two-way prospect. He's a great playmaker, leader, skater, stickhandler, and he is very, very durable, he plays in every single game situation.

Not many 20 year old (as of March 1) players in the AHL are that complete. If they were, they'd be playing in the NHL... and Steen would be in the NHL if it weren't for his Swedish club only giving him 2 days to train with the Leafs. He left every single veteran in "aww"... all they could talk about was "Thomas Steen's son".

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Leafaholix said:
Oh, so saying that he's overrated on these boards makes me a "homer"?

And saying your player is a better leader because he's from North America isn't? You just came up with a lame reason why you think he's the better leader.

That's my problem... you want to say he's the better offensive player... fine. But to say he's a better leader then Steen because Zach's North American makes you look like the homer.

"Parise is a better playmaker/scorer, better defensivly (allthough Steen is good), better leader. Heck Parise is just an allround better player... Parise has 1st line center, 70-80 point potential playing good two way hockey. Steen 50-60 two way 2nd line forward."
I'm not sure how you measure "leadership"... please explain your method.
Easy....his teams win

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Leafaholix said:
Good one... great leadership always guarentee's victory... that's right.
No but leaders teams allways find a way to win. By the end of this year Parise will own a NCAA Championship and WJC. Taking both teams from poor to greatness.

leafaholix*

JasonMacIsaac said:
No but leaders teams allways find a way to win. By the end of this year Parise will own a NCAA Championship and WJC. Taking both teams from poor to greatness.
It has nothing to do with the talent around him... ?

Compare team USA's roster at the 2003 and 2004 WJC's to the Swedish team... team Sweden doesn't have the depth to compete with the elite teams, and they haven't for the last few years.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Leafaholix said:
It has nothing to do with the talent around him... ?

Compare team USA's roster at the 2003 and 2004 WJC's to the Swedish team... team Sweden doesn't have the depth to compete with the elite teams, and they haven't for the last few years.
No....compare USA WJC team without him in 2002 and then with him in 2003 and 2004. Look at North Dakota is 2002 with their record and compare it to North Dakota 2003 and 2004 and their record. Parise makes everyone around him better.

leafaholix*

JasonMacIsaac said:
No....compare USA WJC team without him in 2002 and then with him in 2003 and 2004. Look at North Dakota is 2002 with their record and compare it to North Dakota 2003 and 2004 and their record. Parise makes everyone around him better.
North Dakota had an off year in 2002 after losing 4 of it's top 5 scorers and their #1 goalie. Prior to the 2001/02 season, they were one of the best teams in NCAA hockey, finishing in the top 4 from 1996/97 to 2000/01. So Parise definately wasn't coming to an average program... it's not like he carried the program on his back and led them to the NCAA tournament.

http://www.uscho.com/stats/teamYxY.php?team=80&gender=m

My point isn't that Parise isn't a great player... the point is that you say Parise is a better leader then Steen because most great leaders in the NHL are North American (like Zach). Then you say he's a better leader because his team's win... again, it's not like he's playing for average programs... he led Team USA to the Gold. It was a team effort, Alvaro Montoya had as much to do with that Gold medal as Zach Parise... if not more. Though I know your next post is going to include "Team USA won because of Parise"... and that's really not true considering Parise had 1 assist and 3 shots in the two most important games of the tournament... he was also a non factor against the Finnish squad dispite his 1 assist on Werner's goal (which Werner scored all by himself, carrying it over the blue line and firing it by Toivonen). Dominant players show up for key games... he was far from dominant in those games, and that is why he's overrated. Parise is considered a "can't miss" prospect... which is balogna. He's small and doesn't have the physical capabilities to compete against a Finnish team, nevermind men.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->