Top 40 NHL prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
Guys you'll have to agree that you disagree...

MacIsaac thinks that Parise will be a better all-around player even though both will be good players. He think that even if he's small, Parise will be a better player offensively and defensively, while being a leader on and off the ice. He thinks that Steen is a good leader, but more by showing the example, he think that he's not a talker.

Leafaholix thinks that Parise is too small to be better and that once he'll make it, he'll get pushed around, which will make Steen a better player. He also think that JasonMacIsaac doesn't know what he talks about when he talk about leadership.

That's it, you won't be able to change the other's ideas...

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Leafaholix said:
Good point.

Parise is a better leader because he's North American.

:shakehead
Leadership aside, Steen still doesn't compare to Parise in any other area except speed. Stop being a homer, Parise is better then Steen.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Duff88 said:
Guys you'll have to agree that you disagree...

MacIsaac thinks that Parise will be a better all-around player even though both will be good players. He think that even if he's small, Parise will be a better player offensively and defensively, while being a leader on and off the ice. He thinks that Steen is a good leader, but more by showing the example, he think that he's not a talker.

Leafaholix thinks that Parise is too small to be better and that once he'll make it, he'll get pushed around, which will make Steen a better player. He also think that JasonMacIsaac doesn't know what he talks about when he talk about leadership.

That's it, you won't be able to change the other's ideas...
He hasn't brought up any points to prove Steen is better then Parise where I have...both played in the WJC an Parise clearly outplayed him.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
We've heard the same thing about plenty of other Leaf prospects. And while for some it was just (Colaiacovo for instance I think is gonna kick butt), Parise is on another planet. Truely, this isn't a fair comparison to Steen. Parise looks like not only a sure-fire NHL'er, but a potential superstar. Steen could be another Anti Laaksonen, maybe a top 6 forward, maybe not in the NHL at all, but the point is, his potential probobly isn't as high as Parise, but the real kicker, Steen I'd say is further away from the NHL than Parise is.

db23

Ryan Whitney couldn't make the Hockey East first or second All Star team as a junior. Those teams are voted on by the league's coaches. So, I would have to agree that his prospect status is in doubt.

leafaholix*

Can someone find me a post in this thread where I said Steen is a better player then Parise?

I just said I'd put Steen, Mirnov, Perezhogin, Kahnberg, and Grigorenko higher on the list based on their success' in the leagues where they played with and against men.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Leafaholix said:
Zach Parise is overrated... I'd be tempted to rank guys like Steen, Mirnov, Perezhogin, and Grigorenko much higher. Just based on their success in the men leagues they play in.
The combination of you saying Parise is overated and shouldn't be in the top 5 with you also saying Steen (at #4) should be much higher. Don't try and back out of this.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
db23 said:
Ryan Whitney couldn't make the Hockey East first or second All Star team as a junior. Those teams are voted on by the league's coaches. So, I would have to agree that his prospect status is in doubt.
I think it has more to do with the fact that BU sucks.

leafaholix*

Mizral said:
We've heard the same thing about plenty of other Leaf prospects. And while for some it was just (Colaiacovo for instance I think is gonna kick butt), Parise is on another planet. Truely, this isn't a fair comparison to Steen. Parise looks like not only a sure-fire NHL'er, but a potential superstar. Steen could be another Anti Laaksonen, maybe a top 6 forward, maybe not in the NHL at all, but the point is, his potential probobly isn't as high as Parise, but the real kicker, Steen I'd say is further away from the NHL than Parise is.
Once again you prove how much you know about anything that has to do with the Leafs organization.

Here's a tip... watch Alexander Steen play.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Leafaholix said:
Once again you prove how much you know about anything that has to do with the Leafs organization.

Here's a tip... watch Alexander Steen play.
Once again this thread proves how little you know about anything outside the bubble called Toronto.

leafaholix*

JasonMacIsaac said:
The combination of you saying Parise is overated and shouldn't be in the top 5 with you also saying Steen (at #4) should be much higher. Don't try and back out of this.
I'm not backing out of anything... Zach Parise is super-overrated.

leafaholix*

JasonMacIsaac said:
Once again this thread proves how little you know about anything outside the bubble called Toronto.
What does this have anything to do with the post you quoted?

Please stop with these meaningless posts... you're obviously looking for a war... which you're not going to get here.

leafaholix*

JasonMacIsaac said:
And yet you have not used any points to suppost this claim.
Nigel Dawes and Anthony Stewart played as well as Parise in the WJC... he wasn't nearly as dominent as you make him out to be. Was he great? Yes... he was a great player for team USA, but he was hardly dominent. He had 1 assist in the final 2 games for team USA, the two most important games. 4 of his 11 points came against a team that was outscored 24:1 in the tournament, Austria.

He wasn't as dominent as he's made out to be in that tournament.

To say he's one of the best players outside the NHL is very bold... especially since he still plays against 20, 21 year old players.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Leafaholix said:
I'm not backing out of anything... Zach Parise is super-overrated.

On this list I think Parise is too high but I think he will do well on character and savvy/smarts in the NHL in spite of his size/speed. A guy you want on your team. He won't be a superstar IMO, but he will win you hockey games.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Common.....you know how the majority of Habs fans are with prospects. Komisarek = Stevens with offense, Plekanek = Hossa......listen to guys outside your fanbase who don't cheer for Boston and Toronto.

PS: Not all Habs fans are bad like this, a learge percent are though

The comparaison between prospects and NHLers on the Habs board is not really like you said...O.K. for Komisarek=Stevens. Eric Fichaud made this comparaison a year ago...And I never heard Plekanek=Hossa. He can't become anything near Hossa...Plekanec is underated on the Habs board. You tell the thing bigger than they arre dude...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
clefty said:
Like what? He's not great in his own end? So what? His specialty is offense, thats what he's there for.

No, he's a defensemen. He if was there for offense, he'd be a forward. It's just a opinion. I think Whitney has a lot to work on. He never hits, doesn't clear the crease, so right there he's going to have some problems at the next level.

We'll see what he does down the road, I'm just not that high on him.

Munchausen

st_roland said:
Why do you have to be so f'n rude? He just put up this list as a favor to me, and all he gets from the peanut gallery is insults like this.

Welcome to HF boards, the home of some of the most idiotic and cynical piss vinagers.

For the record, Dan (montreal) is anything but overly biased. The ones who read what he writes here know. The ones who don't and take shots at him prefer to assume he's as misinformed as they probably are themselves (I'd be curious to know, from all those who bashed his Kastitsyn ranking, who are the ones that actually HAVE seen him play, him and most other prosects listed).

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
montreal said:
No, he's a defensemen. He if was there for offense, he'd be a forward.

No, thats completely incorrect. He's a defenseman because he's strong at leading the rush out of his zone and has an excellent point shot. Just because he's a defensman it doesn't mean his offensive game can't be his speciality and priority. Look at how many defensive forwards there are. Should they be defensemen?

montreal said:
He never hits, doesn't clear the crease, so right there he's going to have some problems at the next level.

How many NHL offensive defensman frequently hit or clear the crease? Does Gonchar? Does Leetch? Does Tarnstrom? Does Malakhov?

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
clefty said:
How many NHL offensive defensman frequently hit or clear the crease?

I didn't say frequently. I never see Whitney hit. It's not like I go and watch Whitney play every game, but BU is on a lot throughout the year, and I never see the kid hit, and he really struggles in his own end. Even his offensive game isn't all that, as he has a nice shot, but I found that part of his game to be a tad overrated. As for NHL offensive defensemen, I don't know how many frequently hit or clear the crease? Maybe you have seen Whitney a bunch of times over the years and see something I don't, please explain what I'm missing. :dunno:

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
montreal said:
I didn't say frequently. I never see Whitney hit

Its not his job to hit. Its his job to score, and he does that.

montreal said:
Even his offensive game isn't all that, as he has a nice shot, but I found that part of his game to be a tad overrated

Lead BU in scoring this year. Also had a hattrick this season.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
clefty said:
Its not his job to hit. Its his job to score, and he does that.

Lead BU in scoring this year. Also had a hattrick this season.

Yes it's his job to hit, and he doesn't score enough. Have you seen him play often?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->