Proposal: Top 4 or better d-man to Florida

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Borgstrom + Petrovic for Trouba
Petrovic is a UFA after this year, and Trouba is much, much better.

Pysyk is more attractive, but a UFA in a couple of seasons and not on the same level as Trouba.

Borgstrom would be of some interest, but I think the Panthers would have to add more (assuming Trouba will sign long-term with the Panthers, as seems very likely).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Jets are in a win mode this year. They need Trouba. Can't see trading him this year. Really there is no logic in trading him. Good teams don't worry next year contracts or even UFA status in two years. They are trying to win now.
Next summer the Jets need cap relief so yes, Trouba could be moved and probably moved.
Agree. I can't see the Jets trading Trouba until after this season. At that point, if Trouba won't sign long-term in Winnipeg the Jets will shop him. I would bet that there will be a few US-based teams in on the bidding, including the Isles, Red Wings and Panthers.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I've seen Trouba in 2 Jets games this year, granted on TV, and he hasn't looked very good. If he keeps it up his value will drop so the Jets might find themselves in a mid-season dilemma as to when they should move him. It looks a s though Morrisey is the D-man of their future.
Maybe you need to watch closer, and focus on the defensive aspect of the game. He is outstanding at shutting down chances against, and once again he's over 1 point / 60 minutes (5v5). If anything, he's been stronger early in this season than he was the past couple of seasons.

Here's what you get from Trouba --- basically he shuts down chances from the slot and in close, and he's one of the better D in offensive production at 5v5 in the NHL.

upload_2018-10-18_13-26-39.png

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
Borgstrom is nice of course as a prospect, Petrovic I’m not so sure about.

Could be subbed for Pysyk

Borgstrom is a nice piece.... who's better b/w Pysyk and Petrovic and how are they looking this year? Looks like each had a down year last year

I'm not a Florida fan, but afaik Pysyk is better while also being younger

Petrovic is a UFA after this year, and Trouba is much, much better.

Pysyk is more attractive, but a UFA in a couple of seasons and not on the same level as Trouba.

Borgstrom would be of some interest, but I think the Panthers would have to add more (assuming Trouba will sign long-term with the Panthers, as seems very likely).

Borgstrom is one of the best C prospects in the world, and I know that the Jets want a long term solution for #2C. Florida obviously covets Borgstrom, but they seem to need RD more than C. Trouba is a great young #2Rd, who also is demanding a lot for his next contract. To my knowledge, the Jets can't really afford his demands, thus lowering his value. Florida could add but IMO Borgstrom and Trouba aren't that far off in value.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Could be subbed for Pysyk

I'm not a Florida fan, but afaik Pysyk is better while also being younger

Borgstrom is one of the best C prospects in the world, and I know that the Jets want a long term solution for #2C. Florida obviously covets Borgstrom, but they seem to need RD more than C. Trouba is a great young #2Rd, who also is demanding a lot for his next contract. To my knowledge, the Jets can't really afford his demands, thus lowering his value. Florida could add but IMO Borgstrom and Trouba aren't that far off in value.
I like Borgstrom, but Trouba is an established bona fide top pairing RD, who is one of the best in terms of defensive impact and 5v5 scoring. So I think the Panthers would need to add to Borgstrom.

It's not that the Jets can't afford Trouba (they can make the cap space available next year - he's already making 5.5M this year), it's more that he seems to want to play in the US. His fiancee is training to be a doctor, and would find it difficult to specialize and/or practice in Canada (she's training to be an osteopathic doctor, I understand).

Trouba's value will be determined by the under-bidder in any trade discussions. So the Panthers would need to offer as much as or more than any other teams that might be interested. I would guess that at least the Red Wings (Trouba's home state, and in desperate need of a top D), the Isles (could really use a young RD anchor and have tons of cap space) and the Rangers would have considerable interest in Trouba, among others.

DictatorTots427

Apr 8, 2018
I like Borgstrom, but Trouba is an established bona fide top pairing RD, who is one of the best in terms of defensive impact and 5v5 scoring. So I think the Panthers would need to add to Borgstrom.

It's not that the Jets can't afford Trouba (they can make the cap space available next year - he's already making 5.5M this year), it's more that he seems to want to play in the US. His fiancee is training to be a doctor, and would find it difficult to specialize and/or practice in Canada (she's training to be an osteopathic doctor, I understand).

Trouba's value will be determined by the under-bidder in any trade discussions. So the Panthers would need to offer as much as or more than any other teams that might be interested. I would guess that at least the Red Wings (Trouba's home state, and in desperate need of a top D), the Isles (could really use a young RD anchor and have tons of cap space) and the Rangers would have considerable interest in Trouba, among others.

Unfortunately those teams don't really have anything that fits the Jets' needs, all 3 of those teams need Cs too and I'm not sure what else the Jets need. The only thing I could see Florida adding is picks, which the Jets have no need for. So Pysyk + Borgstrom + 2nd? I'm not sure what else the Panthers could add that would be of interest to the Jets.

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Unfortunately those teams don't really have anything that fits the Jets' needs, all 3 of those teams need Cs too and I'm not sure what else the Jets need. The only thing I could see Florida adding is picks, which the Jets have no need for. So Pysyk + Borgstrom + 2nd? I'm not sure what else the Panthers could add that would be of interest to the Jets.

You need any LHD prospects?
Would Huberdeau be of interest?

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
I guess that 2nd is in 2020 since the 2019 one was used in the Hoffman deal.
A decent offer for after this season ends.

Reactions: DictatorTots427

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Maybe you need to watch closer, and focus on the defensive aspect of the game. He is outstanding at shutting down chances against, and once again he's over 1 point / 60 minutes (5v5). If anything, he's been stronger early in this season than he was the past couple of seasons.

Here's what you get from Trouba --- basically he shuts down chances from the slot and in close, and he's one of the better D in offensive production at 5v5 in the NHL.

View attachment 147795
That looks like the golf course I played today. Thanks.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
1st round pick for Martinez or Forbort

or

1st round pick + prospect for Muzzin

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Pleasantly surprised I haven’t seen the Barkov for trouba proposal yet.
Barkov crossed my mind (how could he not) but I decided to go for something a bit more realistic. DictatorTots427 came up with something I think the Jets could live with. :)

We tend to try to wring out maximum value for our player regardless of the team we root for but that results in asks that are ridiculous. There will always be a best player in every trade but if you end up with a partial replacement & what looks like usable other pieces (in this case the hope Borgstrom becomes a 2C in a couple of years & the 2nd is used to unearth a gem or as part of a trade to fill that hole) damage to the team is minimalized.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->