Proposal: Top 4 LD to Flames

johnnystormcgy

May 26, 2007
Flames probably stand pat and see what they have in a recuperated Valimaki. Connor Mackey is knocking on the door too (both left handers though). Fox really screwed us, he was the answer.

I really wanted Jake McCabe. It stuck in my craw a little bit that we freed up the money by taking Zadorov so they could sign him.

Probably didn’t want to come to Canada.

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I really wanted Jake McCabe. It stuck in my craw a little bit that we freed up the money by taking Zadorov so they could sign him.

I think if used properly that Zadorov is going to be a boon to the team. Sutter is going to be on his ass to hustle. We for sure are a little light on dynamic defencemen though.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yea hard pass, Girard is good player but not a #1 which he would need to be to move Tkachuk for him.

It's time for Valimaki to shine I doubt we try to get a defenseman to play ahead of him if we did I would just sign Ryan Murray as has been suggested.

Given the contractual situations of the two players and the positions they both play, without question Sam Girard is the more valuable asset over Tkachuk. Without a doubt.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I wonder if we could poach Hampus Lindholm from Anaheim for cheap. On the last year of his deal he underperformed on and can actually push the puck.

Ledge And Dairy

Well he's from Wisconsin so he probably only wanted to go to Chicago or Minnesota. Either way I dont think I would have wanted him at 4x4 though, not after missing so many games last year. with Zadorov we dont have to sign him long term, he's just a #4/5 stopgap for our young guys

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Huh. Would have thought Flames fans would learned from history but I guess not. When was the last time the organization went into a season with a second year player who struggled a ton in his first yaer penciled into the top four?

Again, there's what the Flames should do and what the Flames will do and they are very often different things. The Flames should give Valimaki and Kylington a chance but the it's far more likely they acquire a top four defencemen, or at least try to.

Andersson-Hanifin
LD-Tanev
Valiamki/Mackey-Zadorov

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Given the contractual situations of the two players and the positions they both play, without question Sam Girard is the more valuable asset over Tkachuk. Without a doubt.

To some teams maybe but without a Gaudreau extension in place Tkachuk is potentially our franchise winger you don't give that up for not a #1 defenseman

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Girard for Tkachuk. Girard makes $5mm on the button. No adds. Just a hockey trade.
At least he won six games in the playoffs. The disappointing season Tkachuk had saw you guys land in the lottery, which you didn’t win. Keith’s elder son Matt looking like a lesser version of his younger brother Brady.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
After the blah year Matt just had? Matt’s ceiling looking lower lately. He’s no Brady that’s for sure.

Even in a blah year he still produced better than Brady. And he has 4 other years better than Brady's best so far. So for those of us over here in reality the fact he's no Brady is a good thing.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Flames fans are going to be surprised that Giordano's absence will not make a difference. He was so slow, old and washed up. A young big kid like Zadorov with fresh legs will look much better than Giordano. Their defence still isn't that impressive, but there's 5-6 quality NHLers on that defence core. Tanev and Andersson is a nice right side.

Ledge And Dairy

Huh. Would have thought Flames fans would learned from history but I guess not. When was the last time the organization went into a season with a second year player who struggled a ton in his first yaer penciled into the top four?

Again, there's what the Flames should do and what the Flames will do and they are very often different things. The Flames should give Valimaki and Kylington a chance but the it's far more likely they acquire a top four defencemen, or at least try to.

Andersson-Hanifin
LD-Tanev
Valiamki/Mackey-Zadorov
You do realize Zadorov averaged 19 minutes last year, and 17 minutes the 2 before that, if Valimaki isnt top 4 ready Big Z will play there. Calgary isn't looking to add another LD at this point

Reactions: blankall

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Flames: Kuznetsov + Dumoulin

Pens: Gaudreau

Caps: Flames 2022 2nd and Pens 2022 2nd

Flames have the cap space, they get a top 6 center and top 4 LD. Pens get a top 6 upgrade. Caps get a bunch of cap space and 2 picks

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
As a Pens fan I like the deal in general but the Pens would have to move additional money to get under the cap. Probably Zucker.

And it would have to be a different 2nd round pick for the Penguins, the 2022 2nd is involved in the Carter deal.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Flames: Kuznetsov + Dumoulin

Pens: Gaudreau

Caps: Flames 2022 2nd and Pens 2022 2nd

Flames have the cap space, they get a top 6 center and top 4 LD. Pens get a top 6 upgrade. Caps get a bunch of cap space and 2 picks

Flames aren't giving up our best forward for a malcontent. I can't think of a single asset on Pittsburgh that makes me want to deal Gaudreau

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad